PDA

View Full Version : New Fat 30 Mould, WOO-HOO!

Ricochet
12-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Merry Christmas to me! While rummaging around in my reloading stuff recently, I found a new 6-hole group buy mould I must have bought about 2 years ago and forgot all about! I could see it was for a .30 caliber gas check bore rider style with an RF nose with about a 50% meplat. It has three lube grooves in front of the check. Didn't know if it was for a standard .30 or a Fat .30, so today I cast up a bunch from wheelweights. Out of the mould, unchecked, they run around 197 grains. The "bore rider" nose is about .308" and the bands about .315". The gas check shanks run tight for Hornady checks; I had to cull out 1/3 of what I cast (nice looking boolits, too) because the checks just wouldn't go on them. I ran 'em through a .314" Lee sizer. I've got a batch in a tub here, just tumble lubed in White Lightning. I'll let 'em dry till tomorrow morning, put another coat on, and load 'em on top of a case full of 7383 to try out next weekend. By that time the water-dropped alloy will be nicely aged. I checked the OAL where the rifling stops 'em in my M91/30 and well worn M91 (which has a 1/8" longer throat, as might be expected.) I'll load 'em to touch the lands in the M91/30.

felix
12-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Ricochet, flux your pot with aluminum stearate and that will pull in the sharpies off of that shank, and from every other part of the boolit too. Might take off about 0.0005 from a 30 caliber. Put the checks on right after casting while the boolit is at its smallest diameter. ... felix

Ricochet
12-10-2006, 11:47 PM
I'll try that, thanks!

Bret4207
12-11-2006, 08:05 AM
My Fat 30 has become a favorite. Wish I'd bought 3!

I have absolute faith in Felix's answer to the shank problem. But, as an added idea, sometimes just running your finger nail around the edge of the shank will help. Alos annealing the checks will help, as will bumping the opening of the check with the appropriate sized ball bearing to open it slightly.

I'd try Felix's idea first, sounds a lot easier than my ideas.

Felix- where would one obtain this chemical?

45nut
12-11-2006, 08:28 AM
here ya go Bret,noticed a couple in NY state.

http://www.powersourcing.com/sf/aluminumstearate.htm

357maximum
12-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Ricochet, flux your pot with aluminum stearate and that will pull in the sharpies off of that shank, and from every other part of the boolit too. Might take off about 0.0005 from a 30 caliber. Put the checks on right after casting while the boolit is at its smallest diameter. ... felix

I have the same problem with an older vintage rcbs 35-180 mold...could you ellaborate some on this procedure...like how much to use..and any other practical thing a guy needs to know...and maybe the "why's and how's" of it function..

thanks