PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 gas tube

45-70bpcr
04-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Time for a new barrel for my Rock River A2 nm. This is my first time. I have the barrel and tools.
Removed the roll pin but the stinking thing will not come out. I've soaked it for 4 days with Kroil and still can not get it out. I am ok with just ordering a new tube and cutting this one out I guess, but want to make sure I am not missing something obvious first? Do these things really get this crudded in? I have 7k rounds or so through it.

Thanks for any help

John Traveler
04-11-2011, 08:21 PM
I'mjust curious why you are doing a rebarrel after only 7,000 rounds.

Service life of that barrel should be 3x or 4x that figure.

To remove the gas tube, try clamping a tubing flaring holding tool around it, and use the flaring tool to pry against the front sight assembly.

45-70bpcr
04-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Well my 600 yd. has really fallen off. May just be me but the better high power shooters I talk to said 5k of 77 grn. loads and they put a new barrel on. It may not help me but after 7 seasons I am ok with trying it. I like your idea of the flaring tool. I will give it a go.

Thanks!

scb
04-11-2011, 10:02 PM
In a vice with !smooth! soft jaws (I prefer aluminum) clamp the gas tube running the length of the jaws with the barrel resting on the top of the jaws. Carefully tap the back end of the receiver with a soft (plastic/rawhide) hammer. This is the method I use. Never had one I couldn't get out and have never damaged anything.

btroj
04-11-2011, 10:07 PM
5K is a fair amount for a NRA high-power gun. I have rebarreled well before that a time or two. If it won't hold the 6 inch X ring at 600 how can you be sure what you are doing?

I can't help you on your problem, I always sent mine out for rebarreling. I do not have the know how to fix them, I just shoot them.

garandsrus
04-11-2011, 10:14 PM
John Traveler,

The High Power rifles have stainless steel barrels. They are not chrome lined. Seven thousand rounds is a lot for the level of accuracy that High Power requires.

John

cheese1566
04-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Kroil (like you did) and carefully clamp around the tube. Slowly twist the tube perpendicular to the barrel to loosen. Once it twists loose, then keep twisting back and forth and apply pressure towards the barrel nut to remove.
Brownells makes a tube wrench for this that is slick. Used one two weeks ago at armorer school.

We also had one in school that was so stuck the above needed the addition of a propane torch to 'soften" the carbon crud.

John Traveler
04-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Ah, thank you Garandsrus/John!

lead-1
04-12-2011, 02:46 AM
+1 for scb, gas tube in a vise and tap the barrel/receiver off the tube. I use a rubber deadblow hammer when they are that stuck.

akajun
04-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Honestly, when I change out a barrel due to age, I change the gas tube. They are cheap and get shorter with age. Just grab the old one in a vise and hit the fsb with a dead blow hammer. The combination of bore solvent and carbon tends to cement these in after a while.

45-70bpcr
04-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Well I defiantely appreciate all the help. Something I didn't add was my tube runs in a slot in the float tube so I can't get anything more than pliers on it and that is only if I flex it up a little to get a hold of it. I did try the propane torch tip also and that stinking thing is still winning. I did order a new tube today ($12 from Midway) so ulitmately I plan on winning. I really am glad to hear they can really get stuck so it isn't just mine.

Thank you to all for the help!

DCM
04-12-2011, 09:33 PM
What brand of free float tube is on it? If you ordered a standard gas tube it will not work correctly with many of the float tubes.
IMO I would replace the gas tube either way. As others have said remove the front sight base, stick the old tube in a vice and you should be able to get it loose.

45-70bpcr
04-12-2011, 10:48 PM
What brand of free float tube is on it? If you ordered a standard gas tube it will not work correctly with many of the float tubes.
IMO I would replace the gas tube either way. As others have said remove the front sight base, stick the old tube in a vice and you should be able to get it loose.

****. It is a stock Rock River A2 NM so whatever float tube that is. I ordered a DPMS "rifle" gas tube. New one is 15 3/16" long. As far as I could measure that is the same as the original . I guess I'll find out when it shows up. Thank you for the heads up.

DCM
04-13-2011, 02:37 PM
****. It is a stock Rock River A2 NM so whatever float tube that is. I ordered a DPMS "rifle" gas tube. New one is 15 3/16" long. As far as I could measure that is the same as the original . I guess I'll find out when it shows up. Thank you for the heads up.

When your new tube shows up look closely at where the bends are in the tube versus the existing one. The length should be the same.
I have a bad hunch you will need to order one from RR, Armalite or John Hollinger at White Oak as they use the same float tube for their NM service rifles.
If you need to order one make sure to specify that you have a float tube.

45-70bpcr
04-13-2011, 09:26 PM
When your new tube shows up look closely at where the bends are in the tube versus the existing one. The length should be the same.
I have a bad hunch you will need to order one from RR, Armalite or John Hollinger at White Oak as they use the same float tube for their NM service rifles.
If you need to order one make sure to specify that you have a float tube.

I'll let you know how it works. Thank you for the help. I haven't even got the old barrel off so I am likely to have other issues I will be asking about. Seems straightforward enough but with Murphy and all ??

45-70bpcr
04-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Really appreciate the tips, so thanks to all. I did have to remove the fsb and was then able to get the gas tube separated but it was not easy. Not sure if that is typical. My gun ate all molyed bullets don't know if that contributed or not. Was also very hard to get the float tube unscrewed, finally had to put a pipe wrench to it. I was afraid something bad was going to happen but it was ok. It is all back together hoping to do some break in this weekend. Oh DCM the DPMS tube did fit. It did have a little different shape but it lined up ok.

DCM
04-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Glad to see that it worked out for you.

Montana Slim
04-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Glad this worked out....really simple rifles to work on. I recommend a new gas tube when replacing a barrel, so no worries about clamping one with a vise or pliers to remove. I use a vice-grip plier & mallet to pop em out.

Slim

82nd airborne
04-21-2011, 08:00 AM
Yeah, Gas tubes are the first to go, and for $8 if Im taking the rifle apart, it gets a new tube, so no worries about smashing that sucker flat to get it out.

popper
04-25-2012, 03:57 PM
I need a gas tube somewhere between mid and carbine length. Can I just cut the gas key end off and use it or does it need that special ball end on it?