PDA

View Full Version : what type of lead is this?

sly mantis
04-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Hi
New person here. Going to start casting bullets soon so i started looking for lead. I ended up picking up some lefter fishing sinker casting equipment and lead from a guy that had belong to his father. In it were some hot plates, ladles, sinker molds (anyone want to buy these?), precast sinkers, and a bunch of pure lead blocks as well as some lead type. Not too sure what it is. Can anyone help me identify it (see pictures).
Will be using the hot plate, ladle and getting a steel pot to use as my beginner casting set up.

Also managed to pick up some wheel weights (about a full bucket after sorting), some lead organ pipe and picked up a large steel pot from a outlet store. No i just need a turkey fryer or a propane camp stove for my smelting.

Thanks

cabezaverde
04-11-2011, 07:35 PM
You should be able to trade those letters on this board for about 2x in wheel weights.

sly mantis
04-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Im assuming it linotype or monotype. Right now my plans are to use clip on ww for 9mm and 7.62 and stick ons and pure lead for cores for swaging. But ill likely hold onto this just in case. Would like to know what this stuff is though.

David LaPell
04-11-2011, 09:03 PM
It looks like yesterday's news.

bumpo628
04-11-2011, 10:28 PM
That could be stereotype. If so, it should be 6% Tin, 14% Antimony.

About the sinker molds, I might be interested.
How about a picture?

zomby woof
04-12-2011, 06:26 PM
They are tops of printer blocks from old style printing. They were mounted to a wooden block.