PDA

View Full Version : Steel Barrels

Redleg43
04-11-2011, 05:42 PM
One of my interests is military arms, especially 19th century U.S military rifles. Does anybody know when Springfield Armory started using true steel in the making of their rifle barrels as opposed to wrought iron as used earlier. I have read a lot of books on American military rifles and I can't recall it being said. Thanks.

John Boy
04-11-2011, 09:49 PM
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/gunsmithing/rifle-barrel-steel-126277/

John Traveler
04-12-2011, 12:35 AM
By the time of the Springfield M1873 "Trapdoor" rifle, barrels were rolled between large mill wheels from bar stock, and not forged from wrapped strips as in Civil War production of muzzleloaders. Both materials were "semi-steel" or closer to what we call "wrought iron" today. Springfield Armory used this method of barrel fabrication right up to the production of the M1872 Krag, when it was realized that wrought iron barrels were not strong enough for the then new smokeless powder ammunition. Concurrent with the development of Winchester and Marlin in using nickel steel for their barrels, SA adopted similar barrel production methods. Even the early barrel production had its share of problems with maintaining bore dimensions and premature erosion. This barrel production is documented in the book on M1892-M1903 Springfield Armory Rifle Production.