PDA

View Full Version : right lee boolit for 9mm radom ?????????????

sisiphunter
04-11-2011, 03:32 PM
I recently purchased an old Radom 9mmx19. I wouldlike to plink with cast boolits and instead of spending a ton on a 6 cav mold from other mold makers, i would prefer a Lee. I generally use LLA for lube. I can pan lube, but prefer not to for just plinking loads. My question is which mold is best for this application?? maybe the TL mold???

Sorry I havnt slug my bore yet, but looks worn and slight pitting. I can deal with minimal leading, but prefer none of course. Mainly looking for good function and decent accuracy. I know I wont get 1" accurracy at 100meter and not looking for that just something to plink with on steels and paper.

I could get a 2 cav, but prefer 6 cav just for quicker, easier production.

Thanks, Matt. :Fire:

sisiphunter
04-11-2011, 03:34 PM
BTW. it is quite accurate with jacketed.... RN. Winchester Ranger's.

fecmech
04-11-2011, 05:21 PM
This is just a guess but I think the reason people have so much leading trouble in 9mm's with tumble lube designs is that they cast close to .356 and most people having good results in 9's size .357 or .358. If it was my radom and I really wanted to use TL bullets I would slug it. If it slugged .354 I'd probably give the TL bullet a try, .355 or bigger I'd go with std lube groove type( for the larger size)and try TL ing it before going with conventional lube. My $.02

sisiphunter
04-11-2011, 05:36 PM
ok, maybe even a 38spl boolit then. The Lee ones of those cast .358 usually I think and I could always use in a 38 later (I plan to get one in the near future hopefully). Thanks for the input fecmech.

anyone else with input???? I'm sure there iwll be later here.

Combat Diver
04-12-2011, 03:31 AM
I've also have a Radom P35(p) that was made late in the war by Steyr. I've never casted for it as its still down at my mothers house. Nice to have a handgun there whenever I go home.

CD

sisiphunter
04-12-2011, 04:06 AM
ok did a quick slug through. so at pargest point I got at muzzle. 358 soooo i figure maybe thw rnfp 125gr may work just fine. not a tl boolit. but should work with lla. dont see why not.

MtGun44
04-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Many folks have leading with LLA with 9mm. Be ready for it. IMO LLA is too marginal to
expect much with the 9mm, and you are more likely to succeed with a std lub boolit.

My Lee 356 120TC casts big enough to size to .358 if I want to. You probably need .359
for that barrel, so maybe you want to try the Lee 358 105 SWC, which is a great 9mm
boolit and feeds perfectly in my Hi Power.

Bill

sisiphunter
04-14-2011, 02:42 AM
Thanks alot mtgun44. I got around to slugging and got .358" in grooves. The only molds at wholesale that fit my bill was the Lee .356" 124gr TL RN and this same boolit you speak of Mtgun, the Lee 358 105swc.

I have cast up a good hundred or so of each now. I am pretty sure the 124rn will lead, so not expectingmuch from it, though it is a nice looking boolit.

The 358 105gr swc actually fits into the brass fine and a couple dummy rds feed and extract/eject just fine, so this one may be a hopefuly.

I am going to start with LLA, since that is what I am used to. I dont have a lubersizer yet, so if this doesnt work I guess pan lubing it is. I hope the LLA works, much easier that way.

Do you have any loads with that 105swc in the 9mm Mtgunn44?????????? I dont have that boolit listed in either Lyman manual, so if you have something that is safe to start with would be appriciated. I am not looking for top velocity, just plinking loads. I currently have mostly rifle powders, but Unique, SR-7625, SR-4756 are also on hand.

Thanks, Matt