PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Pro-Melt quit last weekend

Swede44mag
04-11-2011, 12:37 PM
I was using my RCBS Pro-Melt and it started smoking underneath and quit.
The date on the Pro-Melt is 1984 don’t remember the exact month.
I bought it new and it has served quite well for many years.
I plan on drilling out the pop-rivets to see if it can be fixed.
I checked RCBS website it is only warranted for 2 years and you have to have the receipt.
I have no idea what happend to the receipt that many years ago.
The new price is a lot more than what I paid $349.99 now at Midway.

If I can't get it to work again I plan on buying a LEE 20lb dip pot for now then later....

What do you use for your major lead pot?

Doby45
04-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Lee 4-20.

Freightman
04-11-2011, 01:31 PM
I had a old Lyman that smoked and quit opened it up and the wiring had burned into so I rewired and my son has been using it for years, you might have the same luck.

Le Loup Solitaire
04-11-2011, 01:40 PM
I bought my pro-melt in 1978 and have not yet had a prob with it so I have never opened it up. When you do that you will probably find the heating coil, the control thermostat, and some insulation. Probably one of the wires connecting the coil to or from the thermostat has corroded or burned thru. Any of those can be reworked . If the thermostat has given up the ghost/burned out then a replacement can be gotten from RCBS. Not working = no contact somewhere and no current. The pot is definitely worth saving. LLS

Swede44mag
04-11-2011, 10:52 PM
My dad & I drilled out the pop-rivets took the cover off and looked for any burnt wires.
We didn't find any thing burnt off but it had spider webs inside.
I figure one of the spiders must have built a nest aginst the heating coil and when it got hot it fried his a**. I cleaned out the webs and the pot heats up fine (knock on wood).
I plan on using it this weekend if all goes well. I still plan on buying one of the LEE 20lb dip pots to use to clean up and blend lead. The LEE dosn't have the bottom pour to get clogged up with crud.

9.3X62AL
04-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Being a spider is a very tough assignment.

Rick459
04-12-2011, 02:18 AM
Being a spider is a very tough assignment.

OH, that's a good one!!!

azrednek
04-12-2011, 02:24 AM
Glad to hear you got it fixed. After my original RCBS pot quit on me back in the 80's. I took to a small appliance repairman and got it fixed for under 10 bux. I got it back with a new electrical cord.

dromia
04-12-2011, 02:47 AM
I would pop an email to RCBS just to see what they say, they sent me parts (non electrical) for a second hand pot I bought that was a few bits short of a furnace.

bobthenailer
04-12-2011, 08:52 AM
I dont remember when i bought my RCBS pot but the card says " LIFETIME WARRENTY "

94Doug
04-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Exactly. Contact RCBS.

Doug

Swede44mag
04-12-2011, 12:14 PM
I figured when it started smoking underneath and the light went out that it had quit.
I didn't think that it was a good idea to leave something that may have burnt out plugged in.
So I unplugged the unit, and drained the pot into several ingot molds before it got cold.

I will try it again this weekend and hope that it was only a toasted spider/web not an electrical issue.

When I read through the owner’s manual online it states under the listing for the ProMelt.

"Accessories is warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for two years from the date of purchase.
This warranty is extended only to the original consumer purchaser".

If it quits this weekend and won't work I will send them an Email to see if they will fix it for a small charge.

casterofboolits
04-12-2011, 10:27 PM
RCBS will rebuild your pot for free. Your only cost will be the the postage to send it back.

Bradley
04-13-2011, 09:14 AM
RCBS repairs their furnaces. Not sure but I think it is $80 plus shipping.

Casting Timmy
04-14-2011, 08:48 PM
If everything looks good and it's running fine I woudl just use it. It could have been taking it out of storage or not using it for a long time the spiders got in it and also the element soaked up moisture from the air.

As the element gets older the seals at the end usually fall apart and the magnesium oxide inside attracts moisture grounding the heating element out to the sheath. If you bake or let the element heat up a little the moisture dries out and it won't be grounded out anymore.

I worked for a heater manufacturer and in the summer we always had to bake the heating elements to get them dried out to pass inspection.

beagle
04-15-2011, 01:36 PM
RCBS has rebuilt two Pro-Melts for me. Only cost was shipping one way. They throw the two year warranty on you on the Pro-Melts and their Sidewinder Tumblers but come through when you need it./beagle

mazo kid
04-15-2011, 04:17 PM
I've had my Pro Melt pot for 8+ years and I bought it used. Sent it in to RCBS (was tripping the breaker) and they repaired it and shipped it back. Cost me about $8-10 for postage

cajun shooter
04-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Swede, I would first check with RCBS and find out the charge for rebuild. They have in the past just lifted the outer skin and replaced all internals for about the same as a sorry excuse Lee. I owned three of the Lee 20 pots and will never buy another. You would be better off if the RCBS can't be repaired to purchase a new Wagge 4757 to ladle from. They are only about twice the price of the Lee but will out last it by years.

realfisher
04-21-2011, 01:08 AM
swede, i will buy it from you if you get a different one

chboats
04-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Just got my Pro melt back from RCBS after a complete rebuild. It cost me $89 plus the cost of shipping it to them. I bought mine in the early 80s. When I got it back the only thing that was original was the outer shell and the frame. It had a new pot, heater, and thermostat.

Carl