PDA

View Full Version : Non lead wheel weights.

JeffinNZ
12-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi

Scored my usual 'allocation' of wheel weights the other day from my local tyre shop. As I was rumaging through them on the garage floor I noted some felt a little shy on mass for their size. To my horror I found they took a magnet and not on the clip.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/100-0005.jpg

In the following photo not one of the weights is lead. The second from the top on the left is marked "10 Zn" identifying it as Zinc. The rest in that horizontal line are non magnetic in a plastic outter and I suspect Zinc also. Balance attract the magnet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/100-0001.jpg

This could be the way of the future.

What's it like in the US?

ron brooks
12-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Yep, we are going the same way. I have found the plastic weights and steel, both adhesive and clip on. I'm just going to be really smug about it when they find out how bad zinc is for people.

Ron

PAT303
12-11-2006, 12:33 AM
I've got a collection just like that!! Ps JeffinNZ how's your CBE 225grn mould go'in in the 303 Pat

Hunter
12-11-2006, 01:44 AM
I have found a few zinc w-w myself. I have found right many like on the ones on your second row from the top marked 5, 15, and the two 20s. The ones I have that were not plastic melted pretty quick like lead.

NVcurmudgeon
12-11-2006, 01:54 AM
Jeff, so far all the weights that I have found that answer to the same physical description as those in the row with your zinc marked weight, have been either lead or plastic. Either way, they were easy to cut with wire cutters for an instant identity. the three zinc weights that I have found in smelting approx. 1000 lbs. of WW in the last few years have been tape-ons identical to the one you show. I use a magnet on all suspicious weights, subject those like those in your zinc row to the wire cutter test, and keep smelting temperature to a minimum to avoid melting zinc. So far I have managed to dodge all the zinc monster's evil plots. Also, all weights with riveted on clips have been magnetic.

JeffinNZ
12-11-2006, 04:45 AM
I've got a collection just like that!! Ps JeffinNZ how's your CBE 225grn mould go'in in the 303 Pat

Really well Pat. The SMLE is shooting it into 2-2.5 MOA over 41gr of AR2209 for 2000fps in oven heat treated wheel weight. I have just started working on it in the No4 Mk2 that is now wearing a new barrel.

Great bullet.