PDA

View Full Version : Mini Farquharson

RwBeV
04-11-2011, 09:59 AM
I just traded into a mini Farquharson rimfire action kit, someone had started to assemble it and so far they seem to have done a fairly good job. Anybody out there have the instructions for one of these things? Its a real simple design so I don't really need them it just would be nice. The whole thing is about the size of a box of 22 mags. Anybody know what one of these would be worth? I cant seem to find much on the web, I know that they where offered by Cape Outfitters back in the 80's and they had some problems with the centerfire actions.

Bob

jmsj
04-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Pictures?

RwBeV
04-11-2011, 08:46 PM
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/RwBeV/IMAG0175.jpg

It looks like that it is missing the hammer, I would love to fine a picture of one or an exploded view. Hopefully someone out there will have one.

Bob

jmsj
04-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Did a little searching and could only find old posts but no pictures. Also looked at Numrich and they did not have any schematics either.
Is this falling block striker fired or hammer fired? without seeing all the parts from all angles it is hard to tell. Seems like there might be more pieces missing.
Sorry no help, jmsj

scrapcan
04-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Heathydee had a post on some single shots he built, in one of them was a link to a gunsmithing forum you might dredge it up as I think there were threads on your action.

If I was at my own computer I woul dhave it, but I am a fair bit away.

RwBeV
04-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Its hard to tell from the pictures but it is hammer fired. The only parts not shown are some pin's and springs. On the side of the receiver is stamped "Danl Fraser & Co. I think that I might be able to figure the shape of the hammer from where the pin is and where it hits the firing pin, I'm just not sure how the block cocks the hammer.

Bob

DaveF
04-16-2011, 06:15 PM
I built one of these in .22 Hornet years ago, and have had the 'centrefire problem' which was the very slim firing-pin tip breaking off. I just haven't got around to getting the firing pin hole in the block opened up and another pin made.
The kits came with no instructions, only a (not to scale) schematic of the action, which I just happen to still have.
PM me with your e-mail address, and I'll scan it to you.
Regards, DaveF.

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Last time we visited, Carmen Axtell had one of these kits marked "Frazier" on it. Cute little thing, but she wanted $400 for it, and after Day Three of Quigley I am asking if the scouts take credit cards for the burger lunch...

You might check if you want one.

Rich

RwBeV
04-20-2011, 05:58 PM
I would turn loose of this one for a heck of allot less than that if someone wanted one. But it is still missing the hammer, but I hope to have a picture of one soon.

GOPHER SLAYER
04-20-2011, 06:22 PM
In your picture, isn't the hammer the part lying just behind the receiver?

RwBeV
04-21-2011, 03:55 PM
No thats the extractor.

Four Fingers of Death
04-23-2011, 03:24 AM
Heathydee had a post on some single shot she built, in one of them was a link to a gunsmithing forum you might dredge it up as I think there were threads on you action.

If I was at my own computer I woul dhave it, but I am a fair bit away.

Heathydee is a guy and he posts on Garage Gunsmithing.

475BH
04-23-2011, 06:41 AM
http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Go to the forum above (the ASSRA) someone on there should be able to help you.

Nobade
04-23-2011, 09:15 AM
I had one of those briefly. As designed, it has some problems. After it is fired, the hammer stays down when you open the lever. This keeps the firing pin extended into the primer as the block slides down, shearing off the tip of the firing pin and scratching the face of the case. After it is reloaded, the hammer is cocked as the block is closed. This puts quite a load on the hammer and sear, and it is not uncommon for it to fire as it is closed.

It could be redesigned so that it cocks on opening, but I decided I didn't care enough about it to put the effort into doing that and sold it. The above link to ASSRA will lead you to many discussion threads on this action, but the bottom line is they are best avoided. That is a shame, since they make up into such a cute lightweight little rifle.

scrapcan
04-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Mick,

Thanks for the correction, my poor typing got the words jumbled. I corrected the post. Sorry bout that. I had saved a link in the forum you mentioned, but could not remember it as I was away from home on business travel.

Four Fingers of Death
04-25-2011, 11:35 PM
Mick,

Thanks for the correction, my poor typing got the words jumbled. I corrected the post. Sorry bout that. I had saved a link in the forum you mentioned, but could not remember it as I was away from home on business travel.

no prob, sometimes I look back on a post and think, 'what was I thinking about when I typed that???' lol