PDA

View Full Version : what to do

starmac
04-10-2011, 11:57 PM
I traded a near new P90 45acp for an as new stainless super blackhawk 44 with the 7 1/2 in barrell. This was a no brainer for me as I had little use for the acp and the 44 makes a good protection carry gun.

I only had 300 bucks in the P90 and only really bought it to help out a friend, so I have a 300 buck near new 44 mag, which is a pretty good deal around here. I now have a friend that wants to trade a marlin 35 rem for the 44. The marlin is 20 to 25 years old, but has not been shot much as I know the history on it. It was a guys wifes fish camp bear gun until last year. It is nice except for some minor rust from riding in the boat.

I shoot left handed, and have always used levers, but have never owned a 35 rem, and can't really think of a real good reason why I need one.

On the other hand I have had a virginia dragoon 44 for over 30 years, that is old and pretty beat up, but still fully functional. (kinda like me)

What would you guys do in a case like this, if I traded I would end up with a 35 rem and 3 boxes of old factory ammo, for 300 bucks. It is probably a good thing he didn't mention the 45/70 that he bought from the same guy. lol

Jeff H
04-11-2011, 02:01 PM
That was a tough call until you mentioned that you have a .44 - an experienced one to boot.

If it were me, I would go for the Marlin. But I have traded into and out of so many infatuations over the years that I am probably a bad influence. The .35 Remingnton is intriguing though.

NickSS
04-12-2011, 06:22 AM
I have owned both types of guns and I would trade for the Marlin seeing as you have another 44 Mag. The Marlin in 35 remington makes a good deer rifle and probably would do fine on caribou at close ranges. It also works good on black bear but if I were to run into a Brown Bear I would like something more potent than either a 44 mag or a 35 Remington. The 45-70 wth stiff loads would be a good start and a 3 inch gun would be about right.

starmac
04-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Well I finally got out to shoot the new to me 44, I shot them both and the ruger with the pachmyr grips is just more comfortable for me to shoot. They both shot equally well, but I don't think I will be trading for the 35 rem.

Matthew 25
04-21-2011, 01:33 AM
Good man, I'd keep the 44 any day. Well I don't know the value of the Marlin, but for function I'd prefer the SBH.

starmac
04-21-2011, 11:13 AM
The iirginia dragoon is basically a copy of the old model blackhawk, and functions the same as one. But no one makes grips for it and the pachmyr grips are more comfortable for me to shoot.

I do like the looks of the wood grips though.

44 flattop
04-21-2011, 03:39 PM
good man, i'd keep the 44 any day. Well i don't know the value of the marlin, but for function i'd prefer the sbh.

+1!

EDK
04-21-2011, 09:18 PM
The iirginia dragoon is basically a copy of the old model blackhawk, and functions the same as one. But no one makes grips for it and the pachmyr grips are more comfortable for me to shoot.

I do like the looks of the wood grips though.

Look up caryc or pvtshultz over on rugerforum.com...they do some custom grips you'll love and can probably fit them to your trigger guard.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire: