PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine

hiram
04-10-2011, 02:01 PM
We were shooting a carbine match and after 3 or 4 shots, on my friend's carbine, the opperating rod disconnected from the bolt. Today I met him at the range, cleaned the gun and put it back together for him. He did not bring thew stock so we could not test fire.

What would have most likely caused this disengagement -- a worn bolt lug, a worn socket in the operating rod, both? Or does this occasionally happen out of the no where? Any other reason?

Thanks

3006guns
04-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Going by memory here, but....

How did the parts look? That is, any signifigant wear? If not, it's possible the operating rod/retracting handle might be just slightly bent allowing it to jump out of disassembly slot occasionally. After all, there's only one way it can come out so something caused the "self field stripping".

I've owned two G.I. carbines (none right now) and never had that happen.

Larry Gibson
04-10-2011, 03:33 PM
I've only seen it happen a couple times. Cause operator error. When loading the oprod was pulled out of the notch and let go into battery. One functioned for 2 shots before stoppage and the other 5 or 6 shots before the stoppage. Depends on how loose the oprod is fitting in the receiver slot and the barrel slots. Both operators had the habit of pulling the oprod back and swinging the hand to the side to let go. When done correctly neither carbine malfunctioned again. Come to think of it i also saw it happen once when the carnine just wasn't put back together correctly.

Larry Gibson

Doble Troble
04-10-2011, 05:55 PM
I've seen it on Garands several times. Worn op-rod where the handle and bolt ear interface. This wear is usually combined with a handle that's bent outward, away from the action.