PDA

View Full Version : Question on range of sizing

Armorer
04-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Hi ya'll,
Some of us are looking at doing a GB on a Lee .45 230 gr TC HP mold with it dropping boolits at .454 . Someone posed a question as to bullet distortion sizing from a .454 to say a .451 . While I don't personally see a problem sizing a short fat boolit like this, I also don't feel qualified to give an accurate answer. I have an Ideal 452484 that someone "bubba'd" the the removal of the GC shank on and it drops at .458 with my alloy. That being said, I don't have any issues pushing it thru a Lee .452 sizer with either BAC or 45-45-10.
My question is: should it be an issue sizing down a boolit .003 or more?

Armorer

btroj
04-10-2011, 11:20 AM
That is up to your gun to decide.
It may, or may not, be a problem. Give it a shot and find out, in your gun.
This may not be a satisfying answer but every gun is different. What works for you may not for me.
I would certainly try then, I have a feeling they will be fine.

Armorer
04-10-2011, 07:25 PM
That is up to your gun to decide.
It may, or may not, be a problem. Give it a shot and find out, in your gun.
This may not be a satisfying answer but every gun is different. What works for you may not for me.
I would certainly try then, I have a feeling they will be fine.

I thank you sir for the input. I was more or less thinking the same way. Someone had PMd me over these concerns and I figured it was the least I could do to try and alleviate their worries. Seems as though there are a lot of people that don't know, or don't wish to hazard a guess...lol I see this thread has been read many times, but you were the only one to answer.
If anyone has a differing opinion or can shed some light on this I would certainly appreciate it. I know there are a great many folks on this forum with more casting experience than me.

Armorer

gray wolf
04-10-2011, 08:01 PM
The right size is the right size. if you need .451 then that's what you need to do.

Down side to sizing down to much--you may smear a driving band here and there and the lube rings get a little smaller. But with a chubby bullet like that you should be fine.

Armorer
04-10-2011, 08:29 PM
The right size is the right size. if you need .451 then that's what you need to do.

Down side to sizing down to much--you may smear a driving band here and there and the lube rings get a little smaller. But with a chubby bullet like that you should be fine.

My sentiments exactly. Thank you sir.