PDA

View Full Version : I decided to go back to the big hoss

David LaPell
04-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Well, today I went looking at a gun shop for some casting and reloading supplies, and in the case was a gun I was looking for but had kind of given up on. (funny how that works out). I spotted a Ruger New Model Vaquero, blued, in .45 Colt, but this gun has the long 7 1/2 inch barrel. The previous owner had only shot it a handful of times, the cylinder had barely a turn line and there is no wear. I once had an idea of using one of these guns with the right bullets on whitetail since here in the Adirondacks the average range is about 50 yards. So I out a deposit down on it and now I am looking up some decent moulds for a big heavy 250 grain cast bullet for punching some serious holes.

Trey45
04-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Keep in mind the New Model Vaquero isn't built as strong as the typical Blackhawks are and original Vaquero's. You'll have to keep your loads in the SAA range. No "Ruger Only" loads in a new model vaquero.

Other then that, you've still got a fine shooting iron there that's capable of hunting whitetails within reasonable distance.

My "pet load" is a RCBS 255gr SWC on top of 8.5gr Unique. Your New Model Vaquero can digest that load safely.

Dale53
04-09-2011, 09:28 PM
I use both an NOE clone of the Lyman 454424 bullet in my original Vaquero and my SS Comvertible .45 Colt/.45 ACP. Further, I have Mihec's 45-270-SAA bullet in both solid and hollow point. If you have the original Vaquero (large frame) you would be best served with the 45-270-SAA in either solid OR hollow point.

Dale53

EDK
04-09-2011, 11:15 PM
RUGER kinda messed people up with VAQUERO and NEW VAQUERO. It creates some dissension over at rugerforum from the semantics police too.

If the revolver has a TWO digit prefix on the serial number...5?-XXXXX, you have the Original Size VAQUERO that is on the heavier frame of most NEW MODEL RUGERS. You can load it safely past most people's comfort zone with "RUGER ONLY" data from the reloading manuals.

If the revolver has a THREE digit prefix...5??-XXXXX, it should also be marked NEW VAQUERO, and is safe only for loads for a COLT SINGLE ACTION ARMY.

I shoot Original Size VAQUEROS/BISLEY VAQUEROS in 357 and 44.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire: