PDA

View Full Version : Outside neck trimmer

Bear Claw
12-10-2006, 02:22 PM
I need one, there are many on the market, who makes the best? Sinclare has a nice one but man is it big $$$$ the complete kit (most x-pensive) is nearly 200$
I am leaning towards either the lyman or the forster...... Any thoughts are welcome?

trooperdan
12-10-2006, 03:30 PM
I like the Forster with the outside neck turning attachment. It has worked well for me in several calibers.

Jon K
12-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Another vote for the Forster, I use the Forster Power Case Trimmer with the neck turniing attachment. In the drill press, it makes short work of it.
Got mine in 1983, after my hands got tired hand cranking, and haven't looked back. It won't do 45-70 & large size cases see chart. For big stuff, I use Lyman w/power attachment & carbide cutter.

Jon
:coffee: :castmine:

Swagerman
12-10-2006, 04:09 PM
BC, I presently have a Forster unit that is in very nice condition, it has the outside neck trimming device, as well as the inside neck trimming device. It has extra cutter shaft, and some case neck trimmer in .223 caliber.

This unit is complete and sells retail for over $150 at what you see in the attached picture.

The two objects in foreground are bullet hollow point makers. One has a dril bit for large calibers, and the other has no drill bit but is for real small calibers like .22 or .223. Drill bits are available from Forstersproducts.com for whatever size you need.

You can have it all for half that, I'll include shipping.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P3160033Forstercropped650X.jpg

Hunter
12-10-2006, 05:31 PM
I use the Forster neck trimmer myself and it seems to work well.

Bear Claw
12-10-2006, 07:09 PM
BC, I presently have a Forster unit that is in very nice condition, it has the outside neck trimming device, as well as the inside neck trimming device. It has extra cutter shaft, and some case neck trimmer in .223 caliber.

This unit is complete and sells retail for over $150 at what you see in the attached picture.

The two objects in foreground are bullet hollow point makers. One has a dril bit for large calibers, and the other has no drill bit but is for real small calibers like .22 or .223. Drill bits are available from Forstersproducts.com for whatever size you need.

You can have it all for half that, I'll include shipping.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P3160033Forstercropped650X.jpg

Ok I will be doing mostly 30 cal (30-06) is it hard to adjust? will i need a mandrel for each cal........... I had been looking at the hand sets but I like the one you pictured, this is the first time I have ever had to turn necks so I know nothing about it...Can you tell me more??????

Best reguards Bear Claw

trooperdan
12-10-2006, 08:40 PM
BC, I'll add a bit of info here for Swagerman. You do need a pilot for each bore diameter you want to turn. The pilot is the item in the plastic bag in the pic. A .308 pilot can be used to turn necks from .30 carbine to .30-378! The pilots are not pricey at all.

I didn't realize the price of the Forster unit had gotten that expensive! I've had mine a while and it is a joy to use, especially is you add power to it.

ron brooks
12-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Swagerman,

If Bear Claw decides he's not interested drop me a PM.

Ron

Swagerman
12-10-2006, 09:55 PM
BC, TrooperDan, has said it correctly, you'll need a mandrel for each caliber you are processing.

However, the little mandrel in the clear plastic packet is for a .308 caliber, so there you go for outside neck turning. The other caliber mandrels are not real expensive, you may be able to pick some up in the classified section by requesting want to buy.

Like I said, my case neck trimming tools and the mandrel are set up for .223 caliber. But it is real easy change calibers.

I tried to find the instruction street on operating this Forsters unit, but like a lot of my stuff its dissapeared...the box it all came is gone too.

But Forstersproducts.com will surely send you another instruction broshure if you request it.

Forsters also has a screw on drill attachment bushing, that you can screw one on to the extra cutter shaft in my package, then you can motorize processing of brass.

The outside case neck trimmer on the shaft in the picture, it is adjustable to how much case neck brass you may want to remove, use a hex driver L tool. I shaves it off very easily.

Contact me by email if you want to purchase. bigcaddy@centurytel.net

Jim

Swagerman
12-10-2006, 09:57 PM
OK, Ron Brooks. Got your heads up.

But I will honor Bear Claws being first dibs.

Thanks, Jim :drinks:

ron brooks
12-10-2006, 11:14 PM
OK, Ron Brooks. Got your heads up.

But I will honor Bear Claws being first dibs.

Thanks, Jim :drinks:

Jim,

Of course. :-D

Thanks,

Ron

Bear Claw
12-11-2006, 01:26 AM
E-mail sent.............. Thanks Jim

Swagerman
12-11-2006, 02:26 AM
Sold to the guy in the bear suit...pending funds.

Thanks, Jim :)

Bear Claw
12-30-2006, 05:03 AM
Tools came the other day, packed very well,all there as described, works great...

Big thums up to swagerman.................... Thanks Jim :drinks:

Swagerman
12-30-2006, 03:08 PM
You are very welcome.

I don't reload rifle anymore, so just about everything that's not handgun caliber is up for grabs.

Only have two long guns. A real nice older Ruger carbine in .44 magnum with 2X10 veriable power, and a Romanian AK-74 in 545X39 caliber.

No shotguns, but thinking about one.

Jim