PDA

View Full Version : Southbend lathe and mill

Oldeyes
04-09-2011, 07:35 PM
I have wanted a vertical mill for a while and finally stumbled onto a SB MIL4218 with a SB 14 lathe up for sale as a package.... only $2500 for the pair. That might be a tad high but not much shows up in my neck-o-the-woods, SE Arizona. Unfortunately they are in storage and covered in dust, non runable, but look to be in good shape. Both were high school shop class pieces.
The mill has a few collets and that is about it, no vise or other goodies. The lathe comes with 3 and 4 jaw chucks (about 10" size), a taper attachment, live tailstock center, and QC tool post. I don't need another lathe but I am lusting after this 14X40 monster while the mill that I do need barely gives me warm fuzzies. Does anyone have anything nice to say about Southbend mills to convince me to leap now, or should I be patient? My current lathes are a 12X36 Atlas in the gun room, an Enco 12X36 in the garage (bought for the inch and a half headstock thru bore), and a dinky 7X10 Harbor Freight I use for cartridge case conversions. I just gave away my Unimat to #2 son so I could say I need to replace that lathe.....
Why do I want a mill? Misc gunsmithing projects, making a few parts, playing around...... I don't need it but I could probably put it to good use once I learn all its capabilities!

danski26
04-09-2011, 08:29 PM
I love my heavy 10. There are a lot of parts on e-bay for the south bends. In my area the lathe itself might bring $2,500 in good working condition.

koyote
04-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Man, I'd drive down to get it, honestly.

I have, and love, my early sb 9 inch. I've got the full set of 3c collets, a QC toolpost, steadies, full gear set. It's sweet. It lack 2 things for me, the bed length could stand to be another 8-10 inches and since it's a 9", the spindle hole isn't big enough for a lot of rifle barrels or other work.

Mills are very handy. I'm surviving on my HF special, which is honestly pretty dialed in and tricked out. Vises are something you need several of, different kinds. also various blocks (Vee, 123, angle plates, etc) and a clamping kit. You can actually make most of that once you have a decent vise- but it may take a while and step blocks are a pain.

YOu'll end up with a dozen odd collets and a drawer of end mills anyhow.

Char-Gar
04-10-2011, 12:40 PM
I would say that is a good price for two quality machines. However, school machines have had lots of inexperienced and careless hands on them. I would want to inspect them with great care and under power is possible. I would at least take some rags, solvent and oil with me to see how the parts move and align. I don't think the owner should object to a free cleaning and lubrication of the machines.

Oldeyes
04-10-2011, 02:01 PM
There is no way to power up the machines because of the 3 phase issue; it's rather tenuous, but the seller is a friend of a friend and has a solid reputation, and he is a friend of the school shop instructor who claims that the units are in great shape..... and they don't look like they were dropped or abused in the move.... in other words, condition is based on faith. I did scub down enough to check for backlash and inspect ways and bed, but grit and dust has been blowing into both for a couple of years as they have sat uncovered for years in a quonset hut. I would not power up either without a thorough teardown and cleaning. Arizona dust is unbelievable in its ability to penetrate everywhere!

My limited mill experience is on a BP years back which had more features than this Southbend, I just don't know enough about mills to guess if I would be happy with this one. I doubt if I need a head that "nods" like the BP, but I have one job in mind that would be easier if I could swing the entire head assy 90 degrees or more off the table and I don't think the SB can do that.

I know I would be happy with the lathe, I just don't know enough about this mill and the gripes that owner/operators would offer compared to other units, or even if I would feel the lack of certain features in home hobbiest use.