PDA

View Full Version : If LEE

Chief_10Beers
04-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Redesign the Pro 1000 based off the Classic Turret Press, I would buy one in a Heartbeat. What are your thoughts? Anyone who owns a Pro 1000, would you upgrade?........................

*Paladin*
04-09-2011, 10:42 AM
I think it would be a good move on Lee's part, IF they could do it and still be significantly cheaper than the Hornady L-n-L or the Dillon SDB. Otherwise, I'd save and spend the extra bucks on the Hornady or Dillon...

rbstern
04-09-2011, 02:32 PM
I have to believe they are either working on it or have it in mind.

The four hole turret head remains the same, with the addition of a locking knob like the Loadmaster.

A four position shell plate carrier modeled after the Pro 1000. Movement actuated by the same rod as the turret press. Perhaps some type of roller bearing or replaceable nylon busing under the base end of the rod to protect the press and the rod from wear.

Pull chain return powder drop from the Pro 1000/Pro Auto Disk

Key area to tweak would be the primer feed mechanism (make it more tolerant of minor fouling). I'd also consider skipping the shell feeder mechanism, at least on the first version, and then perhaps sell some type of add on feeder later on.

Now that I'm thinking about it, it might even be possible to sell a conversion kit for the turret press, and maybe even have it be convertible.

geargnasher
04-09-2011, 03:42 PM
I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Especially a four-station progressive. The problem is, if they make it, and made it on a Classic frame, they might as well quit producing the Loadmaster because nobody would have a reason to buy them anymore.

If I could have the ram from a classic turret machined to accept the shellplate carrier from a Pro1000 and get the ram travel right, it would be a cinch to do the conversion. The shell feeder could be added with mods done to accomodate the Z-bar attachment. I know the pillar length is different, but perhaps the stroke length could be changed to load .30--'06 in progressive mode using the .45 ACP shellholder. How would that be?

Gear

shoot-n-lead
04-09-2011, 09:42 PM
They could make it manual indexing like the Dillon and it would really be a simple conversion.

troyboy
04-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Pro 1000 works good enough for what it is. If you want to load rifle progressive the loadmaster will work. Nothing wrong with the press the way it is. Works just fine.

rbstern
04-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Pro 1000 works good enough for what it is. If you want to load rifle progressive the loadmaster will work. Nothing wrong with the press the way it is. Works just fine.

Imagine if that had been Lee's attitude about the original turret press design. The Classic Cast Turret wouldn't exist. It's the best press they've ever made.

Chief_10Beers
04-10-2011, 12:48 PM
I fired off an e-mail to LEE to see if they have a Pro 1000 based off the Classic cast in the works. It would seem like a natural evolution considering the updates made to the Turret and Single Stage Press...................................