PDA

View Full Version : Sundog/Sailman ....

oksmle
12-10-2006, 02:35 AM
How did you guys make out using your SMLEs in the MBABR match today?

We here at Tri-City are considering starting a new MBABR match, same as before, except fired from front sandbags only. The match will be held during the workweek & is to be opened to "retired persons" only. Sailman, that means you.... Since it's still in the planning stage I hope to limit it to cast boolits. But I bet I'll be voted down.

oksmle

sundog
12-10-2006, 09:24 PM
oksmle, can't speak for Sailman, but my best yesterday was a 2.5sumthin group, an 89, 91, and 91-1X. Match time temp was low 30s and windier than all getout. Carharts, Gortex line Maine hunting shoes and shooting mittens saved the day for me.

Hey! I'm retarded, ah, retired, even though I have a nice cushy retirement job. Doesn't 26 years in the Army count for anything?

When I give up that nice cushy retirement job and play for myself for the rest of my life, I am planning on having some weekday matches and get togethers, kinda like the Burrito shoot out on the left coast, doncha know.

Sand bags only? Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if scores improved... If you're gonna run the match, and cast boolits is the name of the game, then hold their feet to the fire..., or they can find another 'match director'. Or they can fire the clad stuff for fun, but can't compete. everyone knows those full length condums are just a fad anyhoo. sundog

Sailman
12-18-2006, 01:31 PM
OKSMLE

Did you say Retrded or Retired, at any rate, I fit into both catagories.

My results for the last MBABR were a disaster to say the least. I had to shoot a different rifle than I normally shoot, and had to use loads that were not proven, in addition to using a rear sight that I was not used to. To give you some idea of my problems, my first 10 shot group consisted of one hole 303 cal size. I tried to tell the person scoring the target that the one hole was 10 rounds but he would have no part of that. When I started to shoot the score targets, in the middle of the first score target I had to bore-sight the rifle. Does this give you sime idea of what was going on.

However, when I did get on the target, there was some indication that the rifle/load I was shooting MAY shoot better than the rifle I normally use, but that will take some testing.

At any rate, I still enjoyed the shoot. It sure beats looking up at the person cutting he grass.

I have always enjoyed shooting in your 303 matches. I don't know why I like to shoot the SMLE's but I do. Maby I enjoy getting beat over the head. On the other hand, a couple of years ago, I believe I shot the smallest group at your match and did it with lead bullets. I really hope you can establish a Weekday shoot with Lead bullets only. Like Sundog says, something like the burrito shoot out.

Older and not to much wiser

Sailman