PDA

View Full Version : Hra big boy 357mag/38spl lvr

4719dave
04-08-2011, 09:54 PM
okay any one got one yea or nay :coffeecom

hickstick_10
04-09-2011, 06:17 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I little of both, me an a friend went to buy one, he bought the 357 and I bought the 44.

Pros: Very pretty, very well made and recoil is nill due to its weight.

Cons: Metal used for the outer magazine tube is cheap, worse then lawn furniture. The barrel is not tapered and handles like a crowbar, I never saw the point in having a buffalo rifle barrel on a pistol caliber carbine.

A few years ago I bought a marlin cowboy in 357, and for a user that rifle is superior, but now the Connecticut plant is closed due to the Remington takeover and there have been several complaints on the quality of the marlin 1894.

I gave the old german machinist I apprenticed under, a pre-safety rossi puma in 357 when I left the old shop, he has no complaints about it. That gun and him spend an unhealthy amount of time on his porch waiting for gophers. Im contemplating getting an 1892 for myself.

So if its for show and plinking, the henry is very nice, if its for hunting I would go for the marlin or the 1892.

fecmech
04-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Similar to hickstic a friend has one in .357. Way to heavy for my taste and I don't care for the shiny receiver but that's just me. It loads like a tube .22 and I don't care much for that either but it's accurate ( no more than either of my Rossi's) and has a fairly smooth action. If you like the looks and don't mind the weight there's nothing wrong with them mechanically that I'm aware of.