PDA

View Full Version : Williams Peep 375, 356, 307 BB

Suo Gan
04-08-2011, 03:26 PM
FP-94/375 is the one you need for those guns tapped for a side mounted peep

and FP-94BBSE is the one you need for the guns (mostly angle eject models) that are tapped on top of the reciever.

Just an FYI for anyone doing a search on topic, might save you a half an hour worth of calling and searching.

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/FPpage.htm

DukeInFlorida
04-13-2011, 12:58 PM
I just went through the exercise this morning.

Bought a 1977 NEW IN ORIGINAL BOX Winchester model 94 in 30-30, and hadn't anticipated that it was a top eject. Being a top eject, it totally eliminates any possibility that a normal scope mounting system can be applied.

From what I read on-line, there were three options:
1) Get a side mount scope attachment, and mount the scope off to the side. Most people hate this arrangement, since it's awkward. Getting the scope properly aligned is also an issue.
2) Get a cheap set of fiber optic front and rear sights to replace the hooded front sight, and the rear ramp sight. I did that on my Marlin 94 in 44 mag as back up sights, but mounted a neat scope on it. Didn't want to go that route on this gun.
3) Williams peep sights were the most popular sight selection in most places I referred to. There are two models: The FP (fail proof) model is the better and more expensive (about $10 more), and can come with knurled adjustment micrometer screws (TK designation) to make adjustments easy. The lesser expensive 5D model allows for windage and elevation to get locked in, for hunting situations where you don't want the adjustment screws to get bumped. I'm going to use this only at the range, so the FP TK version makes the most sense for me.

The Williams FP 94-36 SET (include the front fiber optic sight as well as the rear peep sight), their part number 63331 doesn't come with the Target Knobs (TK).

So, I had to order the FP 94-36 TK (their item 1276), which is rear sight only, but it has the wonderful target knobs.

The fiber optic front sight is their .343 M, because I have a ramp style front sight. You need to call their 800 number if you want to order fiber optic front sights to go with their peep sights. They have a complete listing that doesn't show on their web site.

Total billing, direct from Williams, came to $115 for the two items. That compares to just under $100 for the non-TK version.

Brownells has the two items, but their web site for this section is confusing.

Midway USA didn't have the TK version.

So, I ordered direct from Williams. The tech guy I spoke with was helpful, friendly, and clear.

As the OP suggests, this might help someone else who is going through the same search for parts.

BruceB
04-13-2011, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE="I'm going to use this only at the range, so the FP TK version makes the most sense for me."

For range use, I believe the Fire-sight offers an inferior sight picture when compared to more-conventional front sights.

My three lever rifles ( 36 and 336 Marlins and a M64 Winchester) all have Lyman 17 front sights, and these offer VERY crisp sight pictures, as well as the versatility of interchangeable inserts for different tastes and conditions.

The Foolproof will be fine, and I use it on one of my rifles. The target-type knobs will be a great boon on the range...... I wish mine had them.

Be aware that Brownell's has the Merit adjustable (iris-type) apertures for the Foolproof; this will also contribute a great deal to the quality of your sighting arrangement. I'm using Merits on several of my iron-sighted rifles and they are GREAT. If ordering the Merit disc, make sure that you correctly-identify the sight you want to use with the Merit aperture, since the different makes use different thread sizes.

This should be an enjoyable project.

Suo Gan
04-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Bruce, What height Lyman 17 did you mount on your 36 and 336?

I am not positive, but I think you might be able to buy the target knobs and add them to your FP sight? I ordered one with the target knobs last week, it should be here any day now, I assume that the only difference between the two sights are the knobs. I'll let you know when it gets here.

DukeInFlorida
04-14-2011, 07:04 AM
I'm going to start off leaving the factory original front sight in place. Since this will not be a hunting rifle, I don't feel a strong need to "acquire the target quickly", which would be a reason to use the front fire sight.

Since this is a NEW IN BOX 1977 Winchester 94, I feel somewhat of a compulsion to keep it as "stock" as possible, and leaving the front hooded sight in place would lend that factory look to the project. I hate the look and function of their rear leaf sight, however.

I'm positive that the Williams sight will look nice and function wonderfully on this vintage gun.

I'll change out to the fire sight only if the stock front sight is too dark and hard to sight on.

[QUOTE="I'm going to use this only at the range, so the FP TK version makes the most sense for me."

For range use, I believe the Fire-sight offers an inferior sight picture when compared to more-conventional front sights.

My three lever rifles ( 36 and 336 Marlins and a M64 Winchester) all have Lyman 17 front sights, and these offer VERY crisp sight pictures, as well as the versatility of interchangeable inserts for different tastes and conditions.

The Foolproof will be fine, and I use it on one of my rifles. The target-type knobs will be a great boon on the range...... I wish mine had them.

Be aware that Brownell's has the Merit adjustable (iris-type) apertures for the Foolproof; this will also contribute a great deal to the quality of your sighting arrangement. I'm using Merits on several of my iron-sighted rifles and they are GREAT. If ordering the Merit disc, make sure that you correctly-identify the sight you want to use with the Merit aperture, since the different makes use different thread sizes.

This should be an enjoyable project.