PDA

View Full Version : Cutting off lube grooves

DanM
04-08-2011, 09:02 AM
I have been working up a PP load for my M95 Steyr using this boolit:
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/images/8mmKar1209.jpg
The boolit shows promise with the PP, groups are 2-3". The boolit doesn't feed well in my M48, so the Steyr is the only rifle I am using this one in. I am planning to get the lube grooves cut off for more bearing surface. Do you guys thing this would be a good idea? And should I get the gas check cut off too or leave it intact?

nanuk
04-08-2011, 09:26 AM
just curious, what are the dimensions of your rifle?

pdawg_shooter
04-08-2011, 09:28 AM
I have better luck with grooved bullets for paper patching. Over the years I have had, and sold, 6 or 7 smooth sided molds. The paper grips the groves better and holds a bit more lube. Slug your bore and size the bullets to BORE diameter +.001/.0015. Patch with 16# printer paper, lube, size to GROOVE diameter +.001/.003 or as large as will fit the throat, load and shoot.

DanM
04-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Well I get my best results with boolits sized to .334". I can push those to 2000fps with good accuracy.
It sounds like you are saying that I should continue to experiment with this boolit as is, and not have the grooves cut off....

pdawg_shooter
04-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Yep, like I said before, the grooves give the paper something to grip and they hold a bit more lube.

leftiye
04-08-2011, 04:19 PM
If you do any cutting it should create a mold that produces bore diameter boolits (plus one or two thou). Problem will be how to bore the mold so as to produce smaller boolits. (???) It looks like you may allready be there with your gun liking .334 boolits and your mold making .325 boolits. Most I'd do would be to size the boolits to proper groove plus diameter.

zuke
04-08-2011, 07:51 PM
I have been working up a PP load for my M95 Steyr using this boolit:
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/images/8mmKar1209.jpg
The boolit shows promise with the PP, groups are 2-3". The boolit doesn't feed well in my M48, so the Steyr is the only rifle I am using this one in. I am planning to get the lube grooves cut off for more bearing surface. Do you guys thing this would be a good idea? And should I get the gas check cut off too or leave it intact?

If it ain't broke.........[smilie=s:

DanM
04-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Yep, like I said before, the grooves give the paper something to grip and they hold a bit more lube.

Hmmm....I have been playing with finger lubing with a little LLA on the wrapped bullet after drying and then sizing to .334", adding lube and not sizing, and just wrapping, drying, and loading. What sort of lubing method are you using?

montana_charlie
04-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I am planning to get the lube grooves cut off for more bearing surface. Do you guys thing this would be a good idea? And should I get the gas check cut off too or leave it intact?
I'll leave it to you to figure out how 'more bearing surface' will improve things.

As a 'traditional' paper patcher, your idea seems like a natural one to me.
I would clean out everything that is below .325" ... including the gas check.

CM

bearcove
04-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Grooves? Gas check, yes.

303Guy
04-10-2011, 03:30 AM
You could leave very shallow grooves to grip the patch. That would give you the best of both worlds, I should think. I'm trying a small rebate on the base of my boolits. I cannot say yet whether that is good or bad but so far it seems to be no worse and makes my style of patching much easier. But it it ain't broke .... ? ;-)

pdawg_shooter
04-11-2011, 08:00 AM
I size to +.001/.0015. Patch with 16# green bar printer paper. Let dry, snip the tails, and lube with BAC. I then run them through a push through die .001/.003 over groove diameter, or as large as will fit my throat. The final sizing removes excess lube and "irons on" the patch making it hard and smooth, almost like a jacket.