PDA

View Full Version : Smelt Truck weights seperately?

cabezaverde
04-08-2011, 08:58 AM
I get a fair amount of those big 6 - 10 ounce truck weights from one of my buds.

Is it worth smelting them into a different batch from regular car clip ons?

chaos
04-08-2011, 09:08 AM
I get a fair amount of those big 6 - 10 ounce truck weights from one of my buds.

Is it worth smelting them into a different batch from regular car clip ons?

I've heard it both ways. I just melt them all together personally.

Lizard333
04-08-2011, 09:20 AM
I melt them with my clip on WW's. Good stuff.

bumpo628
04-08-2011, 10:15 AM
If you have large quantities of each and a hardness tester, then smelt them separately at least once to compare them.

mold maker
04-08-2011, 11:10 AM
I think the major difference is a small amount of copper in the truck WWs. They will also be a little harder.
I do keep them separate and use the truck weight material for magnum boolits. I can't say for sure that it would make any difference, but I have just always kept different materials separate until needed for a special alloy.

Defcon-One
04-08-2011, 11:39 AM
I agree with all of the previous posters. Yes, keeping them seperate and testing the lots to try and figure out what you have makes sense. But I am pretty sure that the mix is not that different. If you want to take the time and effort and do the extra work, then go for it. It surely can't hurt!

Personally, I have a standard that I follow;

Clip-On WW, Stick-On WW, Pure, Linotype and Solder for alloying. That's 5 piles now and I do not need another pile or type to keep track of.

I'd just throw them in the Clip-On pile and call it done.

Charlie Two Tracks
04-10-2011, 05:10 PM
I get most of my WW from a truck repair shop. Mostly large WW with a few regular ones. My ACWW test 14.5 after a couple of months of sitting around.

geargnasher
04-10-2011, 05:17 PM
I agree with all of the previous posters. Yes, keeping them seperate and testing the lots to try and figure out what you have makes sense. But I am pretty sure that the mix is not that different. If you want to take the time and effort and do the extra work, then go for it. It surely can't hurt!

Personally, I have a standard that I follow;

Clip-On WW, Stick-On WW, Pure, Linotype and Solder for alloying. That's 5 piles now and I do not need another pile or type to keep track of.

I'd just throw them in the Clip-On pile and call it done.

You and I have the same philosophy on that! I also add battery cable ends to the COWW pile, and put the "hard" stick-ons with the clip-ons, since often the fancy, painted harder stickies are often harder than regular clip-ons. Only the dead-soft stickies go in the stickie bucket.

Gear

a.squibload
04-19-2011, 05:33 AM
... I also add battery cable ends to the COWW pile...Gear

I thought battery cable clamps were soft stuff?
Have a pile of 'em, haven't melted 'em yet.

bobthenailer
04-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Ive heard they were harder ? but i never had enough of truck WW to worry about smelting them seperate to ck bullet hardness.

midnight
04-19-2011, 10:08 AM
I just melt all of my lead in 125 to 150 lb lots and take what I get. I cast a number of bullets at the time of the melt so I can test for hardness later. Casting bullets also tells me if I need to add a little tin to the Lot. The end result is a great many Lots with hardness values from one end to the other. I can then pick and choose the hardness I need for a particular application.

Bob

garym1a2
04-21-2011, 12:15 PM
I just mix everything together, at 45acp speeds and 38 speed I do not notice a problem.