PDA

View Full Version : New Winchester 92's

NHlever
04-08-2011, 12:37 AM
I saw a new Winchester 92 in 45 Colt at a gun shop today, and it kind of surprised me. The price tag was $990, or something like that. I need receiver sights, or a scope these days but it was interesting to look it over, and I didn't know they were going to be available.

Bret4207
04-08-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm sorry, did you say $990.00 DOLLARS????!!!!!!

btroj
04-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Yes he did Bret, yes he did. I about wet myself too!
I am actually a bit surprised, Winchester seems to be in the business of making only expensive models of any rifles these day. This must be the bargain line?

I sure like my Marlins even more now.

NHlever
04-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Wondered how that would go over. Seems that many gun companies are outsourcing, and just adding the profit margin they want to the result. Look at what Ruger gets for the "AR" looking aftermarket package they bolt on their 10-22's.

markinalpine
04-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Winchester's 2011 catalog in PDF file is available at their web-site.
http://media.winchesterguns.com/pdf/catalogs/2011-winchester-repeatingarms-catalog.pdf
Mark :coffeecom

doubs43
04-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Trying to sort through the PDF. The Model 70's pages all feature "MADE IN THE USA." What about the other firearms? Who makes the lever actions, and shotguns?

While I can't say for certain, it's very possible that Miroku in Japan is making them. They make a number of guns that are branded "Winchester" and if made by Miroku, the quality will be quite high.

MtGun44
04-08-2011, 05:28 PM
AFAIK, all the Win & Browninglever guns beyond the Win 94 for the last 20+ yrs have been made
by Miroku in Japan. I have a 1886 Extra Lightweight that is cosmetically beautiful, but
the STUPID, INCOMPETENT redesign of the firing system to add a safety, firing pin lock,
and rebounding hammer made mine very unreliable. I could choose to send it to Belgium
for 3 months for "repair" or just lump it. I have modified the rebound system and it is
working barely OK now. I need to manufacture a replacement firing pin to defeat the stupid
energy absorbing firing pin design with a built in lock. An original pin (I bought one) does
NOT fit.

Beware of the new "improved" Win leverguns, the designers couldn't shine John Browning's
shoes, but they are hacking away at his designs to satisfy the lawyers. Beautiful workmanship,
marginal function.

Bill

fecmech
04-08-2011, 05:53 PM
I feel your pain Bill. This past week at a gunshow I picked up the complete guts for a pre64 winnie 94 for $40. I can now get rid of the abomination they call a trigger on my 94 Angle eject .357 and replace it with a plain old half cock trigger. Life is good!

robertbank
04-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Jeez a grand in the US I hate to think what they will sell for up here. We pay up to $1,500Cdn ( $1,569US) for the Chiappa lever guns from Italy. Glad I have my Rossi at $500. The new Rossis are now going for $619Cdn

Take Care

Bob

square butte
04-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Pretty sure they are Miroku made from Japan. Availability may be a problem due to the recent unpleasantries in that neck of the woods.

btroj
04-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Yeah, but the new ones from Japan will go beyond night sights, the whole darn rifle will glow in the dark!

KCSO
04-11-2011, 10:14 PM
I have yet to order in a NEW Winchester that doesn't need work to make them reliable. The tang safety rebounding hammer is a joke and for $900 bucks the customer deserves better. Save a lot of money and get a Rossi and sent it to a smith for a tune up.

robertbank
04-11-2011, 10:52 PM
If you do have a grand to throw at this type of rifle cinsider the Chiappa out of Italy. From what I hear they are very nice guns but they are expensive.

Take Care

Bob

NHlever
04-13-2011, 10:47 AM
I stopped by that gun shop yesterday again, and the 92 was still there....... surprise The price was $909.00 so a little lower than I remembered, but not enough lower to make much of a difference. It seems these days that manufacturers (?) are just adding what ever profit margin they want to what ever it costs them to outsource a design, or just buy someone else's gun, or aftermarket parts. Years ago, companies like Sturm Ruger understood that they had to produce a gun that the average guy could afford if they wanted to sell many of thm, and believe me, the folks that worked for them understood that had to happen too. :D

fecmech
04-13-2011, 12:23 PM
If you do have a grand to throw at this type of rifle cinsider the Chiappa out of Italy. From what I hear they are very nice guns but they are expensive.

Take Care

Bob

The Chiappa's did not get very good reviews over on the Leverguns board and here locally they are not quite double the cost of a Rossi. Barring getting a "Monday" or "Friday" gun such as JeffH got I think they are still the best value. Even if a fellow wanted to solve the 30" twist problem with the Rossi he could rebarrel or reline the Rossi and still come pretty close to the Chiappa in price. I've looked at the Chiappa's and they are pretty guns but not for me anyway worth twice what a Rossi costs.

Matthew 25
04-21-2011, 03:50 PM
I have a new Winchester 92 in 44 mag, made as a limited run in 2000 or so. It's a great rifle. I've put probably 2000 rounds through it with no problems. I have had a few sub 2" groups at 100y with the factory iron sights and I've taken 2 deer with it. It may be a different rifle than the one currently offered. Mine was around $700 10 years ago. I would not trade it for anything.

Junior1942
04-21-2011, 04:35 PM
The Chiappa's did not get very good reviews over on the Leverguns board and here locally they are not quite double the cost of a Rossi. Barring getting a "Monday" or "Friday" gun such as JeffH got I think they are still the best value. Even if a fellow wanted to solve the 30" twist problem with the Rossi he could rebarrel or reline the Rossi and still come pretty close to the Chiappa in price. I've looked at the Chiappa's and they are pretty guns but not for me anyway worth twice what a Rossi costs.I have a 1976 Rossi 357 and it has a 1 - 32" twist, but it shoots cast bullets just fine. It's picky about heavy bullets, but some shoot fine and dandy. It likes the 190 FP group buy.

Bret4207
04-22-2011, 07:46 AM
I stopped by that gun shop yesterday again, and the 92 was still there....... surprise The price was $909.00 so a little lower than I remembered, but not enough lower to make much of a difference. It seems these days that manufacturers (?) are just adding what ever profit margin they want to what ever it costs them to outsource a design, or just buy someone else's gun, or aftermarket parts. Years ago, companies like Sturm Ruger understood that they had to produce a gun that the average guy could afford if they wanted to sell many of thm, and believe me, the folks that worked for them understood that had to happen too. :D

I think Savage got that idea many, many years back too. Other than the Cadillac of lever guns, the 99, most of their line has always been "working mans" guns.

frank505
04-22-2011, 10:01 AM
I have a Winchester 92 made in japan in 45 Colt. It is the 24 inch barrel and full magazine and hold 13 rounds of the RCBS 300 grain gas check semiwadcutter running at 1550 fps. That is my packing rifle all winter for our snowshoe adventures, yes I have fooled with the idiotic safety BS. It has never failed to fire in thousands of rounds and really kills pigs which is the game I've ever shot with it. The new ones with curved levers really make me want one.................................oh yeah I modified the lever to fit my hand not the same 11 year old girl that modeled Colt SAA and Ruger SA's. I can actually shoot it with a mitten on, kinda handy with all these wolves around.

cajun shooter
04-22-2011, 10:46 AM
The Chippa's are made by Armi San Marco which is known as the worst of the Italian guns. They built them with a different name and put a stupid price on them. All the guns that I have seen made by this company have half way cosmetics on the exterior but junk parts in side. A very good friend of mine purchased a Armi San Marco 1874 Sharps replica before I could warn him. The rifle was purchased for his son as a gift. They took it out to shoot and on the third shot the firing pin broke. This is common with this company. I would stay away from any 92's made by them. They are selling a version of the 1887 Winchester shotgun for $1200 and people think that it is a new company selling top of the line guns.

robertbank
04-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Pretty doens't make perfect. They are asking $1500CDN for some of their rifles.
I prefer my Rossi at $600Cdn here.

Take Care

Bob