PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine Suggestions

shooterchris
04-07-2011, 10:49 PM
I am interested in starting to get into military rifles, not for collector purpose, but to shoot them. I think my starting point is going to be the M1 Carbine. So guys, if you were going to buy a M1 Carbine, what would you buy. I am looking for the best gun for the money. If you can't get a decent rifle without paying a good bit of money for one, don't let that stop you from making suggestions. I don't want to set myself up for disappointment when buying any firearm, and this is no exception. On the flip side, if there are decent versions of the M1 Carbine for a fair price, let me know. The Cast Boolits community has never pointed me in the wrong direction, and I'm sure this will be no exception. Thanks in advance for the help guys!

WILCO
04-07-2011, 10:59 PM
I really like these:

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/PA-1AO_m1.html

$200.00 more than the gun shows, but better shape.

mooman76
04-07-2011, 11:20 PM
M1 carbines aren't the most accurate military guns out there and I think for the price they are usually wanting they are over priced. Occationally someone gets a extra good accurate one. Not trying to cut them down or discourage you, they just weren't made for accuracy or distance. They are fun little guns to shoot though but I'm glad I bought mine when they were allot cheaper. I hope you find a good one.

shooterchris
04-07-2011, 11:50 PM
M1 carbines aren't the most accurate military guns out there and I think for the price they are usually wanting they are over priced. Occationally someone gets a extra good accurate one. Not trying to cut them down or discourage you, they just weren't made for accuracy or distance. They are fun little guns to shoot though but I'm glad I bought mine when they were allot cheaper. I hope you find a good one.

I do understand that the 30 carbine is not the most accurate or longest range rifle on my wish list, but that's why I want to get into the carbine first. I want to shoot shillouettes 100 yards and in for fun, and to get acclimated to semi auto rifle fundamentals. I am a a bolt rifle shooter to this point.

shotman
04-08-2011, 01:39 AM
well you didnt say if you are going jacket or cast but if you think about cast one thing start looking for mold first about only one that I found that works is the LYman 311361 type
you need to gas check them or you will be cleaning more than shooting
as for gun the Universal is a nice one and will do everything the shell will do. Its not a true military but close and does very good for target and small hunting The stocks dont look nice but you can change that later all parts interchange with military stuff

3006guns
04-08-2011, 07:41 AM
The M1 carbine "mouse gun" is a handy and fun gun to shoot. Light and easy to pack in the boonies but don't expect to knock off a grizzly bear...the cartridge is really nothing more than a souped up pistol round more suited to coyote sized game if anything.

As to the various types, stick to a G.I. model if you can. I've owned a Smith Corona and an Underwood in the past and both were very reliable. Right now I have a Universal just as a "fun gun" but there are some things you should know. I have no experience with the Auto Ordnance version, but the Plainfields, Universals, etc. are copies and some mediocre ones at that. The early Universals used some G.I. parts, but when those started to dry up Universal redesigned the gun using in house manufactured parts which are NOT interchangeable with the G.I. guns. My Universal is one of the last ones made and none of the parts will interchange, including the stock since it was cut to fit only their cast aluminum trigger housing. In addition, they used a heavy stamped metal slide which has no provision for keeping it open when cleaning and has a bad reputation for cracking at the bolt lug. Careful welding can repair it but there's always the chance it will crack again in the future and there are no spares available. In short, I regard it as sort of "expendable". When it breaks I'll sell it to someone as a parts gun.

The two G.I. guns had all milled parts and just, well....worked. And I dearly miss that little button on the slide for keeping it open!

Buy a G.I. carbine...you'll get your money back if you decide to sell it someday.

WILCO
04-08-2011, 08:16 AM
the Universal is a nice one and will do everything the shell will do. Its not a true military but close and does very good for target and small hunting The stocks dont look nice but you can change that later all parts interchange with military stuff

Not true. Universal parts do not interchange with military. Just ask Cavalrymedic:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=109771&highlight=universal+carbine

Universal carbines are hard to find parts for. Iver Johnson is a good carbine that interchanges with military parts. If I was to buy a carbine, I'd go with the ones from Auto ordnance.

Larry Gibson
04-08-2011, 11:54 PM
The little M1 carbine is mostly either loved or hated, I love mine….always have loved ‘em and always will. No it isn’t an ’06 and I think it’s quite silly when it is compared to that cartridge, particularly in the M1 rifle. Now my experience goes back to the early ‘60s when I first shot one that belonged to my uncle…..love at first sight it was. Went on to a little fracas in SEA and used one there, yes I did “use” it not just carry it around. I did not find it wanting if I did my part and put the bullet where it belonged. Like LTC George in WWII I liked it and used it.

I’ve had my own M1 Carbines since ’67 and have owned several. I have the Parts gun shooter pictured with the Bushnell Trophy mounted ala “scout” style, a rack grade also pictured and another parts gun being built. Went a number of years not shooting mine as I couldn’t see the front sight too well any more. When I discovered the Carbine Scout mount I forked over the cash. It is a very solid well made mount. I’ve it zeroed at 150 yards and it is just amazing. Back “in the day” I could shoot 2 – 3 moa (15 round mag full) with that rifle and now I can do it again, just put the dot where I want to hit out to 150 yards (hold a tudge high for 200 yards) and pull the trigger smoothly. Unfortunately the wife is beginning to think it’s hers……..

Many years ago the .30 carbine was legal to hunt deer with in Oregon, I killed 7 of them with the Speer 110 gr SP and Hornady 100 gr HJs. Worked fine once again, simply understand the limitations of rifle and the cartridge, put the bullet where it needs to go and the black tails died quite easily with little meat damage.

The photo of the ammo shows my current selection. On the left 311359 is a very good GP cast bullet for the .30 carbine. I push mine with 13.5 gr H110 at 1870 fps. The SWC is the 313631 designed for the .32 H&R. I’ve found it to be an excellent cast bullet in the .30 Carbine. I push it at 1940 fps with 14 gr H110. Cast of WW’s + 2% tin it does very well on “critters” to 200 yards. If you HP it with a Forster tool it then does terrible nasty things on critters and would make an excellent bullet for home defense or a SHTF scenario. Next is the typical 107 gr milsurps ball which in this case is LC 54. It runs right at 1930 fps and makes a good plinking round. Winchester White box ammo pretty much duplicates it. Those big RNs with all that lead showing are R-Ps factory 110 gr loads. At 1950 fps it is an excellent load and expands very well out to 200 yards. It would be my choice as a factory home defense round. The next SPs are Winchester bulk 110 gr RNs loaded over 15 gr H110 for 1940 fps and very good accuracy and performance for the price. Look close at the next two and you see the HJ just above the case mouth. Those are Hornady 100 gr HJs and are an excellent choice for the .30 Carbine. All that exposed lead expands very well out to 200+ yards when loaded over 15.5 gr H110 for 1950 fps. It is also a very accurate load in numerous M1 Carbines I’ve shot it in. The last loaded round is my 1st choice for a home defense or SHTF scenario with the .30 Carbine. It is the 90 gr Hornady XTP loaded over 15.5 gr H110 and it runs right at 2100 fps. I’m here to tell you that if the bad guy isn’t wearing BA then he’s in deep and very painful kimshi. It also is extremely accurate to 200 yards. Zeroed at 150 simply put the dot center mass out to 200 yards and pull the trigger.

No the M1 Carbine is not a “battle rifle” but it certainly fills a role as a home defense weapon. Visually it is not obtrusive because it isn’t a “Black rifle” or an AK. It can be used very well by woman and young adults let alone you. Besides all that it is a very fun little carbine to plink with and hunt small game. Plenty accurate enough to headshot quail or grouse at 25 yards and if you’ve ever put a jack rabbit into 5th gear over drive with one you’ll know what fun is, especially when you role the sucker. Quality ammo makes the little M1 Carbines .30 caliber cartridge very effective. It is an awesome cast bullet shooter just to close this out.

Larry GIbson

NickSS
04-09-2011, 10:38 PM
I used to collect them when You could buy them for $50 to $75 each and at one time I had at least one from every GI maker as well as several Plainfields and Iver Jonesons. I never bought a Univeral as they did not apeal to me. Aver a period of some 25 years I fired litterally thousands of rounds of GI, and hand loads with both jacketed and cast bullets. I am telling you this because I want you to know that I know what I am talking about.

Any GI carbine in good condition will work and work well with both jacketed and cast bullets. The best cast bullet I have tried is the Lyman 115 gr GC one. The Lyman 130 gr plain base also works well but can not be shot at full velocity due to no Gas Check but then they are cheaper and make a fine plinking bullet. By good condition I mean it has a good bore and all the parts are there. The Plainfields and Iver Johnsons are good little rifles but I did have problems with them. They use a brazzed on gas cylinder and I had two of them break off and one split while in use. I never had any problems like this with a GI and they shot about the same. I sold off my collection in the early 90 when the price was up to what I thought were rediculous numbers for a carbine. I wish I kept a couple of them. More recently I got the bug for one for plinking as I have a lot of brass for that caliber in spite of selling several thousands of rounds of it. I looked at qite a few GIs and thought that the ones I saw were real tired and really used. So I bought an Auto Ordinance one. It went for nearly $200 less than they were getting for GI around hear and was brand new. Now I never tried interchanging parts with a GI except for a GI stock I put on it to replace the folding plastic one it came with. I did have to do a little wood file work on the front of the hole in the stock that the trigger group slides into but not very much wood was removed. As near as I can tell the rest of the carbine looks like a GI and is very well finished. The thing that most impresses me is that it shoots better than any GI one I ever owned and is reliable too! I can highly recommend an Auto Ordinance carbine if you can't find a good GI one.

fortrenokid
04-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Howdy Pard

For just plain shootin', it's hard to beat a carbine. No, they're not a target rifle that'll blast the X-ring out of a target, but they're just fine for plinking. It's an easy cartridge to reload. Mine likes the Lee 120gr cast of linotype or water-quenched wheel weights although I typically use 110 gr j-word bullets (which can often be purchased in bulk at very reasonable prices).

For strictly shooting purposes, you can zero in on some of the modern-made replicas but I'd suggest going after a genuine GI carbine for the additional collector value and appreciation potential. The Army made a s#@tload of 'em during WWII but you'd never know it from the sky-high prices asked for them. Either way, you'll have a good shooter.

If you look around you may find a high-power rifle club in your area that holds periodic John C Garand matches or other military-rifle matches. In a Garand Match, you shoot against other carbines so you're not at the disadvantage of shooting against Garands, 1903's, and P17 Enfields. And don't let anyone tell you that with practice you won't be able to "tweak" some good loads. I surprised the "H" out of myself once by shooting a 410X4 (out of 500) at a match and easily took the Carbine trophy and outshot most of the other rifle shooters (M1's, 1903's, etc.).

And, not to rub it in, but my GI carbine was purchased for (gasp!) $18 in the early 1960's from the then DCM (Director of Civilian Marksmanship). Insult to injury was the near-$20 shipping charge. That was a lot of bucks to a teenager; my hero Dad entered the actual order and fronted the money and I was a long time paying him back. The successor to the DCM is the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP). You might hit their website, think it's odcmp.com but you can Google it. They had a mess of carbines a few years back but they sold out FAST. Periodically they get carbines in.

Final word: doubt you'd regret the purchase of an M1 Carbine and, even if you did, you'd most likely get your money back and possibly more if you decided to sell it.