PDA

View Full Version : Me and Elmer

ColColt
04-07-2011, 07:46 PM
There was a discussion about the Keith bullet recently and my memory got stirred back to 1974 when I met this man. I remember he had signed a book or magazine for me at the NRA Convention and I found it today. A highly treasured item then and more so now. I also discovered the price of "Sixguns" has gone out of sight with some new copies going as high as over $900!! I also found my copy of that book that I bought around the early to mid 70's. This was the magazine he had autographed for me at the convention in Atlanta. Somewhere I also have a picture of me and him that my brother took shortly after he signed the magazine. It was a memorable day.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3941.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3942.jpg

HammerMTB
04-07-2011, 07:49 PM
That's pretty cool!
I was rummaging amongst old books the other day and came across my copy of "Hell, I was there!"
I reread it. Elmer was quite a story-teller and lived a great time of the early west. He was a helluva marksman, too!

HARRYMPOPE
04-07-2011, 11:44 PM
I have a signed copy of sixguns i'd sell for much less than $900!

HMP

Buddy
04-08-2011, 12:27 AM
What a piece of history. I heard the story quite a few times as a young man of Elmer killing a mulie buck @ 600yds with a 44mag. I always thought it might have been a stretch of the imagination till I saw Bob Munden bust a balloon @ the same distance with a S&W 29 on tv last nite. Took him 4 tries but it can be done.

crabo
04-08-2011, 01:29 AM
Bob likes to tape his ballons on a metal pepper popper or plate so that bullet splatter will take out the ballon if he hits metal. Watch close, you will see it.

Piedmont
04-08-2011, 02:13 AM
Bob likes to tape his ballons on a metal pepper popper or plate so that bullet splatter will take out the ballon if he hits metal. Watch close, you will see it.

Yeah, I hate that. He is extremely talented so why cheat?

caillouetr9981
04-08-2011, 04:21 AM
Years ago, Elmer and I corresponded a LOT (which is how and why I eventually built my perfect light rifle - a .338-06).

Sadly, I never had the priveledge of meeting him in person. But, his letters contained volumes of info that were tried and proven. Elmer was amazingly overburdened with correspondence from all over. But, he never failed to return a letter to me.

Experience is the best and hardest teacher. If you have ever read any of Elmer's history - including, "Hell, I Was There" - you know that his experiences were hard-won lessons that he never forgot. There just aren't any people like Elmer anymore.

Reggie

There was a discussion about the Keith bullet recently and my memory got stirred back to 1974 when I met this man. I remember he had signed a book or magazine for me at the NRA Convention and I found it today. A highly treasured item then and more so now. I also discovered the price of "Sixguns" has gone out of sight with some new copies going as high as over $900!! I also found my copy of that book that I bought around the early to mid 70's. This was the magazine he had autographed for me at the convention in Atlanta. Somewhere I also have a picture of me and him that my brother took shortly after he signed the magazine. It was a memorable day.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3941.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3942.jpg

Southern Son
04-08-2011, 05:42 AM
Now that is cool. Probably be worth a bit, too, but not as much as the memory.

firefly1957
04-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Keith was a great writer I have several of his books And he saved me a LOT of money as it was because of him I bought my Sharps before Quigley went down under and prices skyrocketed.
"Hell I Was There" has to be the best title ever of a biography. I have read my copy three times since it came out and ten others have read it also.

44MAG#1
04-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by crabo

Yeah, I hate that. He is extremely talented so why cheat?

He is not cheating . He is shooting at a 14 by 21 inch steel plate not the balloon. The balloon is there for a visual effect so the camera will show he connected with the steel due to the fragments popping the ballon.

If you will call him and talk to him you will understand. This is how "stuff" gets started to tear down an individual and their accomplishments.
I wonder how many on here can hit a 14 by 21 inch plate at 600 yards balloon or no balloon on the plate?
Anyway this is about Elmer Keith not Bob Munden.

Hardcast416taylor
04-08-2011, 10:24 AM
I met Elmer Keith back in the mid `60`s at a William`s Gunsight dealers days dinner. I asked for his autograph on my pinned on name card, which he said he was happy to do for me. He regaled the dinner audience with hunting stories from Africa to back in his youth in Idaho. Elmer also could quench his thirst if necessary. I witnessed him drain a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer in 2 very long sips! My elder brother had Elmer sign the empty can. Elmer truly was a good story teller, if he didn`t have his signature cigar in his mouth.Robert

ColColt
04-08-2011, 12:41 PM
I don't have a copy of "Hell, I Was There" but sure wish I had gotten one before it skyrocketed in price. I'm sure I missed a good piece of Keith artistry in that book. I'll have to get one anyway as I had high respect for him. He was most assuredly a legend in his own time and none will fill his shoes in this lifetime, IMO. I use to laugh reading Outdoor Life in the 60's and 70's how he and Jack O'Connor seemed to be on two separate planets as far as guns were concerned. Ol' Jack loved his 270 and went after nearly everything on this continent with it while Elmer would more than likely go after white tail with a 375 H&H. Definitely a big bore sort of guy. How I wish I could find the picture or negative of him that was taken that day.

As for Munden, I also saw him exhibit his quick draw techniques at the same convention I saw Elmer at. I couldn't believe I couldn't' follow his hand and I was standing no more than fifteen feet away. The man was pure lightening with the Hawe's six gun he carried. The balloons popped it seemed before I could follow his hand or them. I dare say none of us could emulate what he's done over the decades. There may be now equals perhaps, but none better. I saw it first hand.

alamogunr
04-08-2011, 02:37 PM
After reading this thread, I went to the shop where I keep my books and looked at my copy of "Hell, I Was There". It has Elmer's signature on a bookplate inside the front cover. I inquired somewhere online several years ago about it and was told that it was genuine. It was there when I bought it on a used book site. It's condition is almost new. Someone didn't know what they had.

I suspect that it was one of several he signed at the same time. There was no salutation, just his signature.

John
W.TN

MT Gianni
04-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Elmer was truly one of a kind. That is a great personal treasure.

376Steyr
04-08-2011, 04:03 PM
The Cabelas store in Boise has a nifty display of Elmer Keith's guns and trophies, if you're ever in the area. Its worth a stop, and is just a few blocks off of I-84. All the guns are behind glass, but are arranged so you can get just inches away from them.

elk hunter
04-08-2011, 04:37 PM
I wish I had met the man.

I gave my copy of "Hell I was There", to my son-in-law that likes handguns. I think I'll give him my signed copy of Sixguns" as well. I paid a whole $5.00 for "Sixguns" in a secondhand shop in Weiser, Idaho about five years ago, sounds like I made a good purchase.

ColColt
04-08-2011, 07:04 PM
I got "Sixguns", best I recall, sometime in late '69. It's the one with the red/white cover and has a couple of black powder Colt's on the front in a wooden case with flask, balls and a mold. I would have never guessed then what a treasure it would become and it's in excellent shape. Time to re-read it again.

Memory is a wonderful thing. Another great guy and my hero back then was James Arness. I met him, Doc, Miss Kitty and Chester at(believe it or not) Sears and Roebuck, as it was called then around 1960. I don't recall why they were there as I didn't know it until I went upstairs on the escalator and saw a huge crowd had formed. I saw a cowboy hat sticking up above nearly everyone there and made way over to see who it was...total shock. Some things always remain in the back of your mind. I must have been around 14 or 15 then and remember it like it was last month.

Frank
04-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Hardcast416taylor:
I witnessed him drain a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer in 2 very long sips! My elder brother had Elmer sign the empty can. Elmer truly was a good story teller, if he didn`t have his signature cigar in his mouth.Robert
Tall beers and tall tales do frequently go together. :coffeecom

Hardcast416taylor
04-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Hardcast416taylor:
Tall beers and tall tales do frequently go together. :coffeecom

Tall tale or not, my elder brother got the can and the autograph. Although 50 years wasn`t kind to the can or signature, I remember how we came to have an empty beer can in a plastic case in our small store.Robert