PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Lee pour spout

David LaPell
04-07-2011, 07:29 PM
I went today to cast some bullets with my Lee pot and the bottom pour must be plugged. I tried a paper clip bent shoved up into the spout and it went up quite a way, and nothing. I had the temp running nearly 700 at the time and a few pounds melted in the pot. I adjusted the pour screw on top, still nothing. As to why this thing is stuck, not sure. I was able to ladle about half of the lead out.

Cowboy T
04-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Yep, sounds like something's blocking the passage. Get your "muffin pan" or whatever else you use to cast your ingots, heat up the remaining lead in the Lee pot good 'n' hot, and then pour ingots with it. Then you can inspect the bottom of the pot. Also, is the spout "plunger" moving when you raise and lower the handle? On my Pro 4-20, there's a screw whose edge fits into a slot in that "plunger" rod. When you raise and lower the handle, that screw is what moves the plunger rod up and down. Make sure that's happening, too.

jmsj
04-07-2011, 08:25 PM
David,
Did you adjust the screw that set the flow to maximum?
Sometimes you need to raise the valve as high as possible to make room for the trash to be able to float up out of the valve apparatus. .
Just a thought.
Good luck, jmsj

Bret4207
04-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Get some lead in it, at least half full, crank it all the way up and wait. When it's good and hot, really hot, then try poking it some more.

I hate Lee pots, love a lot of their products, but their pots are tools of satan AFAIC.

Roundnoser
04-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Get some lead in it, at least half full, crank it all the way up and wait. When it's good and hot, really hot, then try poking it some more.

I hate Lee pots, love a lot of their products, but their pots are tools of satan AFAIC.

"Tools of Satan"...HA HA! That is funny right there! -- I have two 4-20s that do the job, but are not what I'd call care-free operation. You have to tinker with them to keep it going smooth, but for $75 or less for a NEW one, its hard to beat. I'd LOVE to buy a Magma MasterPot, but we're talkin almost 700 bucks...ouch!

As for the plugged valve, I'd say the advice has been good. The paper clip trick usually works for me. If all else fails, you could completely empty the pot, and while its hot, remove the plunger rod. Clean off the tip of the plunger with steel wool. Then remove any "gunk" that is trapped in the spout. When its clear, you'll be able to look down directly through the spout. Again, while the pot is still really hot, use an appropriate sized rifle bore brush (or similar), and remove any junk and debris from around the drain hole (where the plunger fits into it), so you'll get a good seal. Then reassemble.

-- I've done it a couple of times. It is a PITA because you have to wear heavy gloves...its hard to manipulate the parts. Be careful, because at some point in the process you'll forget that the part are hot, and you'll grab something with your bare hands without thinking first!

Doby45
04-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Be careful, because at some point in the process you'll forget that the part are hot, and you'll grab something with your bare hands without thinking first!

I have a few "partial" prints on my fingers thanks to that.. ;)

Fredx10sen
04-08-2011, 12:16 PM
You might try heating the spout with a propane torch also. I have had that happen to mine as well a few times I have used the torch and large paper clip to fix the problem.

Roundnoser
04-08-2011, 02:15 PM
I have a few "partial" prints on my fingers thanks to that.. ;)

My hands are startin to look like a copy of 4-20 parts diagram!

onondaga
04-08-2011, 02:30 PM
If you are new to the Lee 4-20 it could be just the adjustment of the flow screw is wrong. Study the directions and make sure you know how it works.

If the spout is really plugged, empty the pot and remove the valve assembly and rod. Then turn the pot on again for a few minutes and use a finger held 1/16 drill and work it up and down in the spout. then try a 3/32 drill and do the same thing. That will clear the full diameter of the spout hole. Re-assemble and re-adjust the flow screw.

With the valve assembly removed you can pinch the valve end with steel wool and hand rotate it to clean it well. I also put a little steel wool on a Q-tip and clean the valve seat hole of scale lightly. If it is really bad you can lap it also with lapping compound.

I lube the screws and sliding areas with clear Silicone Dielectric grease before every casting session.

Gary

ColColt
04-08-2011, 09:40 PM
I ran in to that problem this afternoon about half way into casting. I took a large paper clip and bent it so my hand(of course) wouldn't be under the spout and it opened it up.