PDA

View Full Version : Never seen that before!

clintsfolly
04-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Was shooting my SRH 454 Casull today getting it sighted in. Had to loosen the ***-lock on the scope to move the crosshairs so i unloaded it after firing one round . got thing moved and pickup the ammo off the bench to reload and one of the boolit nose is been gas cut on the front edge of the meplet!! The load is RCBS 45-270 and 2400 crimped in the crimp groove. To see if this happened all the time i shot just 1-2 then checked and it is! Any ideas??? Clint

bearcove
04-07-2011, 07:46 PM
HOW big is barrel/cyl gap?

clintsfolly
04-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Well i checked the cyl gap and it .011 and lots of end shake . looks like i need to shim the cyl then recheck. Clint

bearcove
04-07-2011, 08:29 PM
It was just my first guess.. My FA is so tight I can't see light through it. It was made in 86 second year of production I think. The newer "factory" 454's don't have the tolerances that the cartridge requires. IMHO

They seem to work better as a "45 Mag" with more moderate pressure. Unless you get one with a good fit up. Again JUST MY OPINION.

Bret4207
04-08-2011, 08:01 AM
I'd love to see some pics of this.

missionary5155
04-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Good morning
Just another reason the Dan Wessons were such a great idea.. adjustable barrel gap.

Potsy
04-08-2011, 09:11 AM
I tend to think that with no gas check and 2400 it doesn't sound like you're pushing it that hard.
I checked my Bisley years ago and it ran .004.
Ruger's used to be known for running on the tight side, at least tighter than Smith's.
Keep us posted.

pdawg_shooter
04-08-2011, 09:44 AM
End shake and .011 gap? sounds like a trip back to Ruger is called for. Dont worry, they are used to it.

44man
04-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Now fellas, use your heads for once! 8-)
It is NOT the gap. It is the distance from one chamber to another and six chambers makes the next boolit closer to the gap.
I will give you one good illustration of that. The Remington cap and ball revolver. Works fine with a round ball but stuff a boolit in and the next boolit will be torn up because they stick up more. The next chamber is so close to the gap that gas pressure enters the throat.
High pressure revolvers should have 5 chambers.

44man
04-08-2011, 10:13 AM
End shake and .011 gap? sounds like a trip back to Ruger is called for. Dont worry, they are used to it.
I agree, that much is due to wear from shooting a dry gun. But it is still not what causes boolit nose damage.

bearcove
04-09-2011, 03:04 PM
I agree, that much is due to wear from shooting a dry gun. But it is still not what causes boolit nose damage.

Not familar with "dry gun".:?:

44man
04-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Not familar with "dry gun".:?:
The pin, front and rear of the cylinder should ALWAYS be lubed. The ratchet at the rear too. I use STP because it really holds on.
If you clean your gun and do not lube it, it is DRY.
End play should never increase for the life of the gun. STP will cushion cylinder inertia from recoil and prevent wear from cocking the gun.

S.R.Custom
04-09-2011, 04:22 PM
I've seen this before, and excessive cylinder gap and/or endshake had nothing to do with it...

If the throats of the chambers adjacent to the one being fired overlap the end of the barrel, the gasses rushing out of the cylinder gap will blow into these chambers, forcefully enough to leave marks on the bullets if they're seated out far enough.

In most guns this overlap doesn't happen sufficiently enough to cause a problem, but if the barrel is big & meaty and the chambers are really close together, you'll get this in spades. I don't have a SRH in front of me to say for certain that this is the case here, but it sure sounds like it.

I first ran into this years ago diagnosing a case of "binding cylinder" on a Ruger Super Blackhawk that had been rebarreled (aftermarket). Not only was the gas marking the bullet, but it was forcing the cartridges in those adjacent chambers to blow back against the breach, where they were hanging up on the rough surface.

It seems that in the course of re-barreling, the forcing cone end of the barrel was left full diameter for "extra strength." We pulled the barrel, chucked it in a lathe, and turned down the end of the barrel --just like the factory does it ;) -- and both problems went away.

bearcove
04-09-2011, 06:51 PM
The pin, front and rear of the cylinder should ALWAYS be lubed. The ratchet at the rear too. I use STP because it really holds on.
If you clean your gun and do not lube it, it is DRY.
End play should never increase for the life of the gun. STP will cushion cylinder inertia from recoil and prevent wear from cocking the gun.

Thanks for that info. I've always oiled my guns but I'll pay more attention to those areas now.

44man
04-10-2011, 01:37 PM
I've seen this before, and excessive cylinder gap and/or endshake had nothing to do with it...

If the throats of the chambers adjacent to the one being fired overlap the end of the barrel, the gasses rushing out of the cylinder gap will blow into these chambers, forcefully enough to leave marks on the bullets if they're seated out far enough.

In most guns this overlap doesn't happen sufficiently enough to cause a problem, but if the barrel is big & meaty and the chambers are really close together, you'll get this in spades. I don't have a SRH in front of me to say for certain that this is the case here, but it sure sounds like it.

I first ran into this years ago diagnosing a case of "binding cylinder" on a Ruger Super Blackhawk that had been rebarreled (aftermarket). Not only was the gas marking the bullet, but it was forcing the cartridges in those adjacent chambers to blow back against the breach, where they were hanging up on the rough surface.

It seems that in the course of re-barreling, the forcing cone end of the barrel was left full diameter for "extra strength." We pulled the barrel, chucked it in a lathe, and turned down the end of the barrel --just like the factory does it ;) -- and both problems went away.
That was a good catch! ;-) Gas must be directed across the cylinder, not into the next chamber.

S.R.Custom
04-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Eh, I really can't take credit for that one. This phenomenon was quite well known back in the day, but given less attention after the advent of metallic cartridges.

This was one of the (sometimes painful) lessons learned from the '47 Walker Colt and its notorious reputation for chain-firing. I wish I had a better picture, but look at the barrel/cylinder juncture of the Walker, and compare it to the later 2nd model Dragoon revolver. You can see the long & pronounced tapering of the barrel and wide spacing between chambers --a quite deliberate effort made to direct the gap gasses away from the adjacent chambers.

clintsfolly
04-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Well I got time to inspect the barrel end on my SRH this afternoon. The barrel end is is straight shank and is overhanging the chambers on ether side of the top one and there is a small bevel on the that maybe flame cutting on the right side directly over the chamber. At this time i think it time to call Ruger. Thanks for all the help !!!!! Clint

44man
04-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Eh, I really can't take credit for that one. This phenomenon was quite well known back in the day, but given less attention after the advent of metallic cartridges.

This was one of the (sometimes painful) lessons learned from the '47 Walker Colt and its notorious reputation for chain-firing. I wish I had a better picture, but look at the barrel/cylinder juncture of the Walker, and compare it to the later 2nd model Dragoon revolver. You can see the long & pronounced tapering of the barrel and wide spacing between chambers --a quite deliberate effort made to direct the gap gasses away from the adjacent chambers.
I give you all the credit for the knowledge! :drinks:
It is something that escapes many today, even gun makers.

clintsfolly
04-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Called Ruger today they want to see it so off it goes! Clint

2 dogs
04-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Yup I agree. Its an alignment issue!

clintsfolly
05-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Well got SRH back form Ruger. The cylinder was replaced and barrel adjusted. Know need to heal up so i can shoot it Clint

S.R.Custom
05-03-2011, 11:05 AM
That was quick...