PDA

View Full Version : Carnuba red temperature

ronbo
04-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Wondering what temperature is about right for lubbing with the Carnuba Red. I received my order of lube today and filled the Star with it and pumped out the little bit of old lube in the sizer. Set the temp between 95 and 100 on the heater. I like the Carnuba red lube as it melts at a lower temperature than the 115 degree lube I had been using, stays in the grooves well.

RobS
04-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Warm is about all you need...........say 85 to 90 degrees; that should be enough. Easier to start cooler and not have the mess.

ronbo
04-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Thanks Rob, was running it warmer than I needed to then, have a light dimmer on a Lyman heater with a digital temperature probe.

Murphy
04-07-2011, 11:17 PM
This is good to know, I just ordered my Carnauba Red 3 days ago for my Star with a heater.

Murphy

Doby45
04-07-2011, 11:58 PM
I run mine at 90* inside my house. Runs great, next thing is air..

Whistler
04-08-2011, 04:43 AM
I concur, very good to know. I recently ordered a digital thermostat that I will try to fit to my Lyman 4500.

Anyone have a good tip on where to place the probe? My 4500 is the one with the built in heating element. I was thinking of drilling a small hole about ½" above the heater plug.

fredj338
04-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Yep, I run around 90-92deg in the garage this time of year, summer a bit less. A great lube for just about any bullet application.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-13-2011, 06:14 PM
OK, fine, but what about those of us who do not use, and don't plan on buying a heater.

Will the Carnauba Red work for us?

Have a new mold on the way, Bruce at BRP and new sizing dies - Buckshot - and am looking for the best lube for my RUGER #1 with 465 gr. boolit in the 1800 - 2000fps velocity range.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

lar45
04-13-2011, 06:59 PM
A lightbulb next to the luber can provide enough heat to get it warmed up. I mounted my luber on a long steel plate and put an old clothes Iron on the back to warm things up. It gives good temp control and only cost about $4.50 for everything.

I've used my 50-50, 2500+ and Carnauba Red in a 470 NE with a 500gn GC at 2150fps and they all worked well. I've had many shooters report good results with 50-50 in the 45-70.

fredj338
04-16-2011, 01:16 AM
OK, fine, but what about those of us who do not use, and don't plan on buying a heater.

Will the Carnauba Red work for us?

Have a new mold on the way, Bruce at BRP and new sizing dies - Buckshot - and am looking for the best lube for my RUGER #1 with 465 gr. boolit in the 1800 - 2000fps velocity range.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

On a hot day, maybe. BAC will work w/o a heater & runs about the same, but a bit stickier.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Morn'in Fredj338,

I have a batch of BAC ordered as we speak!

Plan to try it with my new mold ordered from Bruce. .462 - 465gr LFN w/gas check.

Also have a set of dies on order, as per Bruce's instructions, to use a two die process for sizing the Boolits.

Bruce suggested using a Lee push through die on my Rockchucker for the first pass, sized.460 and the second die for use in my sizer/luber is a Lyman sized .461.

Buckshot, here on the Cast Boolits forum is doing the work on up sizing the dies.

All this is taking place with the goal of getting nice small groups from my RUGER #1s - 45/70.

My boolit currently loaded is a 355gr LBT/WFN. It really puts a critter down, but at this point is not giving the groups I desire.

Could be that I am running velocities past the "sweet spot" for this rifle/boolit combo.

Just rec'd notice the dies are on the way, and Bruce says the new mold will probably be in the works next week. [smilie=w: :Luvcastboolits: :guntootsmiley:

I'm just like a kid waiting for CHRISTmas morn'in ![smilie=l:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot :cbpour:

nanuk
04-16-2011, 01:07 PM
My boolit currently loaded is a 355gr LBT/WFN. It really puts a critter down, but at this point is not giving the groups I desire.

Could be that I am running velocities past the "sweet spot" for this rifle/boolit combo.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot :cbpour:

or Not fast enough?

altheating
04-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Funny to find this thread. I just came upstairs from the loading room to allow my lube sizer to cool. I just cleaned it and put Carnauba Red in for the first time. Turned on the heater. WOW Carnauba Red everywhere! Way to hot. Yup, just a bit of heat needed!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-16-2011, 06:13 PM
nanuk,

Should be fast enough, the hunting load this last Fall was 2290fps, and I have seen 2500fps.

Puts em down, but the groups don't ring my bell!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

ColColt
04-16-2011, 07:44 PM
I haven't decided yet whether Carnuba or BAC is going to work best for me. I had a tube in the sizer and knew it was getting way down there(about an inch left) so, I put part of a stick of BAC in behind it. After sizing about 100 bullets I figured I must be getting close to the end of Carnuba and it was close to supper time so, I went upstairs to fix me and my canine buddy some supper. Came back down about an hour or so later and lube had oozed from around the size die about the size of a quarter or more. Apparently, I had gotten close enough to the BAC, and still had my 75 watt lamp about six inches away, that the pressure I hadn't released on the sizer and in conjunction with the heat, made it's way all around the top of the die. It sure flowed easy enough.

nanuk
04-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Hey, Ol Coot, I was looking into a Ruger1s in 45/70. had a NECG receiver sight on it already

very nice gun to handle

I just didn't have the $1k to buy it! But if I ever find a bag of money, a Ruger1s in 45/70 will be bought before I do anything else with it

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-16-2011, 10:00 PM
nanuk,

Before you buy the receiver sight for the #1 in 45/70, ya might want to shoot the rifle with the factory iron sights a number of times. Providing of course you can stand to do so.

I tried using my with iron sights, although I did intend to scope the rifle. Kind of the back up sights think'in.

However, for me the rifle was VERY!!!!!!!!!!!!! abusive, I MEAN ABUSIVE!! with the irons.

It was totally a head position thing, as with the scope, no problem with loads much heavier then the loads tried with the iron sights.

It was totally the butt stock beating my face due to the low head position required, and after reading so much about all the people liking the 45/70, I wondered just what I had gotten myself into.

Sure glad it turned out differently!

ColColt, BAC is what I ordered, so good thing I don't heat it!

Thought my order was probably already to White Label Lube company, but found the letter back in my P.O. box today.

The dummie forgot to put a stamp on the envelope! :groner:

So, have solved that problem and will drop it back in the mail on Sunday.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

ColColt
04-16-2011, 11:01 PM
I have a Lyman mold for the 45-70 if anyone is interested. The number is 457193 and I believe it's for a 405 gr bullet. It's just a single cavity but if anyone's interested jut pay the postage and it's yours. It's not doing me any good as I don't foresee a 45-780 in my future.

Tracy
04-16-2011, 11:29 PM
I have a Lyman mold for the 45-70 if anyone is interested. The number is 457193 and I believe it's for a 405 gr bullet. It's just a single cavity but if anyone's interested jut pay the postage and it's yours. It's not doing me any good as I don't foresee a 45-780 in my future.

I'm interested.

That'll Do
04-16-2011, 11:52 PM
My RCBS lubrisizer is kept in my unheated (but well insulated) attached garage. As long as the temperature is 68 degrees F or higher, I don't need to use a heater.

I usually do use a heater, but I only plug it in for about 15 minutes, then unplug it for the same length of time. It just makes it a little easier to crank the lube pressure handle, but it isn't required.

I've been nothing but satisfied with Carnauba Red. It doesn't make lots of smoke, it doesn't fall out of the lube grooves, and it is a heck of a lot more affordable than commercial stuff.