PDA

View Full Version : Ponsness& Warren

iomskp
04-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Hello Folks
An elderly gentleman who I just bought a Browning B 92 from asked me if I was interested in buying his press, he showed me a Ponsness & Warren metallic model 11 a very strong looking press it looks to be very well made, does anybody own one or has used one or knows anything about them, I found their web site they still make them, at 32 lb I'm thinking the freight to Australia would be a bit nasty.

Regards iomskp

9.3X62AL
04-07-2011, 12:21 PM
I use the smaller P-W machine, the P-200 intended for handgun and small rifle calibers. It has been in constant use for 11 years, and has loaded many thousands of rounds for me without a problem or issue. The Metallic II is a five-station machine intended for rifle calibers up to the length of 375 H&H. Both machines claim the ability to reload 150-175 rounds per hour, and I can meet or even beat that standard if I array the components around the machine efficiently.

These are in effect turret presses, but differ in that the shell holder pivots under the die stations. I have been completely satisfied with my machine. MSRP is $450 US these days, and if I ever get another high-volume 308 the Metallic II will be among my first accessories to acquire.

Roundnoser
04-07-2011, 01:38 PM
I too had a P-200. Recently sold it cause it wasn't being used. -- PW's are well-built and smooth operating. Eventually, I plan to purchase a PW Metallic II for my hunting rifle reloading. A used one, complete and in good condition for $350 or less would be a good deal IMO.

scrapcan
04-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Wow that press made it all the way to the other side of the pond. I have been looking for one within my budget (and a P-200 or a CH autochamp) for many years after using a friends P-W. They are nice machines.

iomskp
04-08-2011, 07:06 AM
Yes it made it all the way over here and still in pretty good condition the old fellow that owns it wants new price for it so I think I will let him keep it, but it is a nice looking press, thanks for the feedback gentlemen.

Regards iomskp

NoDakJak
04-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Fourty years ago these were considered to be the Rolls Royces of reloading presses. About a year ago I was offered a choice of a Star loader or a Ponsness Warren. I purchased the Star and am only sorry that I didn't have the money to buy both. Neil

9.3X62AL
04-09-2011, 12:15 AM
P-W's shotgun machines are still at the front end of state-of-the-art. The company is better known for its shotgun machines than for its metallic loading systems.