PDA

View Full Version : Hornady

MGySgt
12-09-2006, 12:51 AM
I just had an experience with Hornady.

My son bought a RBH 45 colt with a 4 5/8's barrel, he bought a set of RCBS dies. I started working with 45 Colt loads and soon bought a RBH 5.5 in 45 Colt. Seem like a fun gun to shoot.

I needed a second set of dies so while I was at a gun show so I bought a set of Hornady 'New Deminsion' Dies.

Resizer Die - Rem and WW cases - did not reduce the size of the case enough and you could finger seat a bullet in the 'sized' case (.4535) - Thats not good - so I resized them AGAIN with the RCBS sizer die.

Seater/Crimp - the RCBS 45 270 SAA (Semi WC) at .4535 will catch on the crimp portion and seat the bullet 's front driving band flush with the case - Also not good.

Finally took the time today to call Hornady. When the first person answered the phone in a very pleasant voice - How my I help you - to which I responded Complaint Department Please! She very politly said please hold and she connected me to Customer Services.

They were very helpful and the bottom line is they are sending out a new (smaller) resizer die and a New (larger) Seater/Crimp die.

No problem was too small for him to talk to me about and we had a very pleasant conversation.

Customer Satisfied!

This is not the first dealing I had with them. A number of years ago I bought a 7MM mag and bought a few boxes of Hornady 160 grainers (Light Magnum I believe). The first 4 or 5 rounds went off without a problem. The next round would not chamber - Bolt would not close. The belt has about 1.5 times the width of the belt on the other rounds.

I called Hornady about them and after I explained the problem I was asked to return the offending round and they would replace it. Well 1 round didn't do me any good and I told the Tech Rep that, I said something like I will just throw it away. She said 'Please don't do that, we need that back here to find out what happened'.

Bottom line they had UPS pick up both boxes of ammo. They asked what I would like in exchange for them. The Hornady 350 gr FP had just hit the market for the 450 Marlin and I could not find any to try in my 45/70 so I asked for an equal value number of them in exchange. Well she said I had touble finding them because they were not due out for a few months, but to let her check. She came back on the phone and said they would swap the 2 boxes of loaded 7mm Rem Mag for 4 boxes of the bullets. They sent them UPS and the UPS driver waited until I took them out of the box and put the 2 boxes of 7mm bullets in the box for return.

Another example of a satisfied customer.

I don't use any of the Hornady J bullets anymore, and I still have some of the 350 gr FP for the 45/70 and a bunch of their 240 XTP's for the 44 mag. If I couldn't cast I would go back to using their products.

Drew

Hunter
12-09-2006, 04:14 AM
I have had a few dealings with Hornady customer service and they were excellent. I do speak with Kathy there from time to time. I bought a L-N-L progressive press a few weeks before their "Get Loaded" promotion started so really my purchase did not quality me for the promotion. I spoke with Kathy about it when I called with another question and really I just mentioned how I hated I missed the promo. She told me not to worry just send the forms in and they would take care of it.
Well I did as she asked not sure if they would since all my paperwork was dated weeks before the promo began. Well when I got home one night last week there sat a box of a 1000 rounds of .45 230 JHP just like the promo said, that my friends is customer service.
I also called a while back about my Hornady Pro 7 (from about 1977) that was not picking up the primers perfect everytime. They told me to send it in and they would fix it most likley for less than $20 if any charge at all.
I did not want to be without my progressive (this was before my L-N-L) so they fella on the tech line took about 10 minuets with me trying a few adjustments and whamo she went back to picking up primers like a brand new machine. To even bother with something that old impressed me and for it to just need a little adjusting I was a happy camper.

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
12-10-2006, 08:53 AM
It is a sad comentary on the conditions in american business and industry when we are impressed when someone "does it right" as all good companies should. All too often customer service ain't. It is good to hear positive comments.

Hunter
12-10-2006, 05:32 PM
It is a sad comentary on the conditions in american business and industry when we are impressed when someone "does it right" as all good companies should. All too often customer service ain't. It is good to hear positive comments.

Ain't that the truth!

Idaho Sharpshooter
12-31-2006, 12:17 AM
I just have a simple question for all of you American Industry bashers...do you guys have to cull your bullets after a casting session? If you answered "yes" then you have no real right to criticize others, because, unlike the above-mentioned companies you are unable to "fix" your screwups and have to live with them. Logic says if you do the job right you should have 100% match quality bullets. If you work at your job at the same level of perfection you expect... Well, if you don't, then... See where I am headed here? Everybody here that has never had his butt chewed for screwing up at work raise your hand. Anybody who has ever been married and gotten a divorce? No hands on the first question, lots and lots on the second. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone here.

Just use the same yardstick you measure yourself with to measure the rest of the world.

regards,

Rich
apparently the only flawed human being posting here

waksupi
12-31-2006, 12:42 AM
A friend of mine worked for Hornady, and they did reject lots of bullets. But, I can see where you would miss some, when you are making them by themillion.

fatnhappy
12-31-2006, 01:28 AM
I just have a simple question for all of you American Industry bashers...do you guys have to cull your bullets after a casting session? If you answered "yes" then you have no real right to criticize others, because, unlike the above-mentioned companies you are unable to "fix" your screwups and have to live with them. Logic says if you do the job right you should have 100% match quality bullets. If you work at your job at the same level of perfection you expect... Well, if you don't, then... See where I am headed here? Everybody here that has never had his butt chewed for screwing up at work raise your hand. Anybody who has ever been married and gotten a divorce? No hands on the first question, lots and lots on the second. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone here.

Just use the same yardstick you measure yourself with to measure the rest of the world.

regards,

Rich
apparently the only flawed human being posting here

Huh?

I believe the intent of the thread was to compliment Hornady for taking care of its customers in the face of QC issues, which according to Hunter and Master Gunnery Sgt they did. If there was any disatisfaction expressed it certainly wasn't with Hornady.

What's the beef?

Hunter
12-31-2006, 02:35 AM
Well I can say without a doubt that Hornady has always been more than fair with me. I have had the chance to speak with Steve Johnson a few times and he seems to be a good fella and concerned with customer satisfaction.

MGySgt
12-31-2006, 05:19 AM
What fatnhappy said!

All too often we deal with a Customer Services Rep that makes it very hard to get the point across that the product is flawed and we need a replacement or refund.

Hornady, RCBS, and Dillion have a no BS warrenty. It is real nice doing busines with them and I will continue to do so. There are a few companies out there that I refuse to buy their wares.

Drew

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Another big plus for Hornady. I was an early Hornady LnL press buyer before all the bugs were ironed out. I stuck with it and Hornady stuck with me. Now it runs smooth as glass, is fast as a Dillon 650 with a similar upgrade path. Their customer service and technical support has always come through for me.

While I don't favor them over others, I never hesitate to buy their products when they fit my needs, knowing I'll get good value for my money.

Dave