PDA

View Full Version : 45/45/10 consistency?

wvmedic
04-07-2011, 08:51 AM
I made a batch yesterday 10 Oz JPW, 10 Oz Alox and about 1.Oz ms.
It has about the consistency of 3-IN-ONE Oil, is this correct?

Jeff

Moonie
04-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Depends on temperature, seems a tad thin to me. After cooking off all of the solvents and mixing 1-1-.1 by volume mine tends to be too thick to pour when much below about 75F.

wvmedic
04-07-2011, 10:51 AM
I don't know what happened to my numbers, I put them back in the first post.

My mix is this thin even at 60F, is this to thin? If so what do I need to do with it?

Jeff

Centaur 1
04-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Did you cook the JPW for a good 20-30 minutes before adding the Alox? Mine comes out the thickness of grease, and 15 seconds with a heat gun turns it liquid again.

mdi
04-07-2011, 11:51 AM
It doesn't need to be thick for tumble lubing. Give it a try on a few boolits...

geargnasher
04-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Mine always comes out about like 10W-30 engine oil, that's what I use as a recommendation. After it sits a few weeks or if you reheat it a few times it gets thick and gummy, keep adding MS and warm/mix it to it to keep the consistency. Once it's heated to about 130 degrees, it should run like water. That's about the temp I use to apply it. You can warm the stuff up and make it run well even if it's gummy, but I've found that if it isn't the correct consistency at room temp you end up putting on too much and it takes too long to dry, leaving sticky boolits. A thin, almost invisible coating is all that's needed.

Gear

wvmedic
04-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'm cooking more JPW as I type. It has been on for 20 min. give it 10 more and I will take it off. I'm going to add 2 Oz JPW and 2 Oz Alox and see if that works.

I lubed probably 30 boolits and it still isn't all dry after an hour, it runs like water. So I want to thicken it just a little.

Jeff

jmsj
04-07-2011, 03:45 PM
wvmedic,
I heat the bullets in an old toaster oven at 200* till they are pretty warm then I tumble lube them. This helps them dry pretty fast.
Last night a young man, that is just starting to cast, came over and using a couple of 2 cavity molds we were able to cast, lube, size and lube a second time over 600 boolits in about 3 1/2 hours. This also includes getting a full pot to tempature , refilling the pot ( I always leave my pots full), teaching him a couple of things along the way, and cleaning up. By the time we finished topping off the pot and cleaning up, the bullets were dry except for the last batch lubed.
Good luck, jmsj

wvmedic
04-07-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm going to get me a toaster oven. I mixed the JPW and Alox like I said above, it is still thin just wanting to make sure this is normal. It comes out of the bottle very easy, when I tried the new mix it came out so well. I had to add all of the boolits, they all are a light brown not real heavily coted. Just enough to see that the lube is on them.

Jeff

fryboy
04-08-2011, 12:07 AM
the main way to control the viscosity is the mineral spirits , a lil more makes it thinner a lil less makes it thicker , if indeed you dont care for it as thin as it is merely simmer off some mineral spirits , i made a really really thick batch once ( chocolate pudding thick or thicker ) i think i just about simmered all the mineral spirits out of it , if i let just the reduced jpw cool it comes out as hard as heck , i'm hoping to try it with beeswax and fill up a sizer this summer , i could thin it a bit but the batch before and after that one was perfect , actually as thick as it is it would/should work well for dip lubing
just as with LLA straight - less is more , i've often read where folks state if you can see it it's too much

wvmedic
04-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Well fryboy I do believe that I will reduce the mix to .5 on the mineral spirits. It did lube very well as is, however as you say a little goes a long way. The problem I am having with it being so thin is that it is extremely easy to pour out to much. I'm using two old dish detergent bottles and do not even need to squeeze the bottle to get it to pour out. I might need to find another bottle with a smaller hole to control it better.

As far as the coating goes, I can barley see a brown residue on some of them. The rest are just off color from plane lead. So I think that they are lubed well, also the roughly 22 Oz I have on hand will last quite a while. I lubed those 400 boolits and can hardly tell that any lube is gone from the bottle.

Jeff

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Gee, I thought I was doin' it right.... ???
My 45-45-10 is thick like Peanut butter at room temp.

for coating, I dip a boolit, twice, into a container of my 45-45-10 and
get a volume of about twice the amount of one boolit for a batch of 100 boolits.
then with everything all in one cool whip type container, I heat everything up with a heat gun,
using my hand on the bottom of the bowl as a temperature guage, so as to
not get everything too hot. Swirl a little, then check. I like it so thin, I can't
even tell if they are coated, unless I touch them. If I get too much, I just
add more boolits, Heat and swirl.
They are dry in 10 to 15 minutes (that's in wintertime Minnesota dry air).
Jon

Moonie
04-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Gee, I thought I was doin' it right.... ???
My 45-45-10 is thick like Peanut butter at room temp.

This is the consistency mine is.

wvmedic
04-08-2011, 10:18 AM
I don't know why mine is so thin. It dose work though.

But is my mix correct at 10 Oz JPW, 10 Oz Alox and 1.8 Oz mineral spirits? I was adding just under 10% mineral spirits, so is my math correct?

Jeff

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-08-2011, 11:49 AM
As per recluse's instructions,
I measure the JPW after it's been cooked down.

Basically this is what I did:
I took a full 16oz can of JPW
and cooked it down to 8 oz
then I added two 4 oz bottles (or 8 oz total) of LLA
then added about an 1 oz of MS

Jon

wvmedic
04-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Jon you might have hit on something, I cooked the JPW. Though with that being said I got way more as a final product than you did. The first go around I mixed 10 Oz JPW and 10 Oz Alox as noted. Yesterday as noted I cooked the remaining JPW a second time, 30 minutes after the JPW turned to liquid. I then mix 2 Oz each JPW and Alox, skipped the mineral spirits. I still have 2 Oz of JPW, so that is a total of 14 Oz after cook off. My mix is still thin but it is working, so I'm not complaining. Just was wondering about how thick or thin it should be. I did a search and only came up with was one poster saying as noted in Gear's above post, that the consistency they got was about equal to 10-30W motor oil.

Jeff

Andy_P
04-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Heresy perhaps, but I make mine 40/40/10/10. The extra 10 is beeswax. Makes it thicker, yet still tumble-lubeable after heating of the lube and bullets.