PDA

View Full Version : Lube Sizer Heater

45Dave
05-31-2005, 09:12 AM
Midway used to have a house brand, but now only advertises the Lyman.

What are other sources for lubrisizer heaters? Brands? Prices?

Thanks

swheeler
05-31-2005, 09:42 AM
45Dave; I have the Lyman heater and it works fine! Before it I had the Conair heater (read hair dryer) worked OK.
Scooter

beagle
05-31-2005, 09:57 AM
Orygun Mark has a design for a heater that he makes and maybe he'll make you one or else give you the plans.

Fits either the Lyman, Ideal, RCBS and maybe the Saeco as well.

I've had one for about a year and it works well. Toggle the switch on and in about 5 minutes, it's ready to lube.

It can be equipped with a thermostadt but mine's an early model without one.

All of the parts are available through McMaster-Carr.

Mine really works well.

He's up in WA right now but will probably pick up on the thread in a day or so./beagle

imashooter2
05-31-2005, 02:17 PM
A piece of .125 or thicker steel or aluminum large enough to hold the sizer and a flat iron works too.

StarMetal
05-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Those lights you can buy at the hardware store with the polished aluminum shield/reflector that has the squeeze clamp that you can clamp them just about anywhere work good to. Just clamp it so it shines on the body of the luber/sizer and it warms it up fairly fast. Throws alot of light on what you are doing too. You will have to turn it off eventually as the lube will get too warm.

Joe

slughammer
05-31-2005, 07:13 PM
A piece of .125 or thicker steel or aluminum large enough to hold the sizer and a flat iron works too.

The nice things about a clothes iron is that they have a built in adjustable thermostat and they can be had cheap. (We only have one in my house, gets more use in the reloading room than in the kitchen).

I'd recommend making the plate larger than necessary; then you have some room to move the iron a little farther away from the press if needed.

Once you figure out where to place it and what thermostat setting to use, you can just leave it sit there the whole time you're sizing; no need to be switching it on and off.

crazy mark
05-31-2005, 10:26 PM
45Dave,
Send me an email marmil at pacwest dot net and I'll send you pictures and th parts you need. They are easily made. I do have one I think that is left over and set up for Lyman and RCBS. Mark

1Shirt
06-07-2005, 08:14 PM
StarMetal and I have been using the same light routine evidently for a long time. Works great, cost is next to nothing If you get a light at Goodwill, and you can spend the difference saved on powder.
1Shirt

Willbird
06-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Well hmmmm.....I bought a heater from magma, and I shot the iron with the 240 grain 44 boolits I lube sized with it.....I guess I did it all WRONG hehehehehe

Bill