PDA

View Full Version : Hoch Actions?

waksupi
12-09-2006, 12:18 AM
I have a Hoch action on it's way to my doorstep. I believe it is made by the same guy in Colorado, who does bullet molds, and barrels. Any one had any experience with these, to help me through the anticipation stage? Apparently, he made very few of them. Single shot, BPCR/Schutzen type action.

windwalker
12-09-2006, 09:17 AM
waksupi not seen them .post a pic when you get it i did read about it along while back .
bernie

4060MAY
12-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Waksupi
If it is one of the original Hoch actions, it MAY be out of square,
when Meacham took it over the newer actions the trigger/firing pin was supposed to be re-designed. Dale53 might know. Meacham also, according to a few people I knew had them, ground the front square to the barrel shank and breach block.

other than that it was a compact action, I think the original problems kept it from becoming popular.

There was an article in the Fouling Shot way back if I can find it I will try to get it to you

Chuck

felix
12-09-2006, 11:25 AM
If I was going to get a drop action, I would strongly consider finding a Hall action. Why? Because it has its lever on the side of the action allowing the gun to remain on low level bags. This design, though unconventional, is based upon his BR heritage. It would be one stout mutha by default, and would be perfect for the job. Granted, it is not the best looking design. ... felix

waksupi
12-09-2006, 11:32 AM
I don't know a lot about single shot actions, per se, so I will have John King check it over, for any problems. And, since it is free, I imagine I can put a bit into it if necessary, to have it made right!
Chuck, I would very much like to see that article!

Bent Ramrod
12-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Frank de Haas reviewed the Hoch action and its successor, the Hoch-Meacham action in his A Potpourri of Single Shot Rifles and Actions.

According to him, it was made by both manufacturers as a "kit" with the parts being either unpolished or polished, and the final fitting and heat treatment up to the purchaser. De Haas didn't know why this was so, but I believe Ken Bresien did the same thing on his Stevens actions to avoid the financial and liability hassles of becoming a "gun manufacturer."

If it is a Hoch, it will say "U. S. A." on the left side of the receiver, for "Uncompahgre Scheutzen Arms." Meacham's version will have his name and address. As 4060May said, the original kits were pretty crude, especially the inside fitting, and De Haas was pretty unhappy about that. He was, however, able to build a .32-40 rifle on the action. Meacham improved the fit and finish of the action parts, as well as details such as the underlever catch, which of course raised the price of the kit to $300 or so, a fair amount of money back then.

De Haas liked the design, said it was simple, effective and unlikely to go out of order. It's a big heavy action, as they go, but Hoch designed it for Scheutzen shooting with .32-40-type cartridges and low intensity loadings. He opined (and Hoch concurred) that he low sidewalls render it unfit for hot cartridges, the extractor won't work with rimless, and a cartridge with a .30-40 head size is about the limit to go into the action, even with some extra grinding and fitting.

Anyway, Waksupi, congratulations on your gift. Although, like a "free" puppy or kitten, some sort of bill will show up eventually.:-D

Dale53
12-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Bent Ramrod has pretty much covered the Hoch action correctly. I have seen some nice rifles made using this action at Etna Green,IN (site of the ASSRA Nationals) but an unknown action requires good inspection by someone qualified (John King should be as qualified as anyone in the business) since they were made as kits. Final quality depends on who and how the fitting was done.

Dale53

4060MAY
12-09-2006, 03:04 PM
do you have issue 73 of the fouling shot? page 10

if not pm me with email and i will scan it for you. jpg or pdf?

chuck

C A Plater
12-09-2006, 08:41 PM
There is an outfit in Trinidad, Colorado that makes a Farquharson action KIT. Should be plenty strong for the larger cartridges. No personal experience with this as of yet but it looks interesting.

http://www.actioncastings.us/My_Homepage_Files/Page1.html

4060MAY
12-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Waksupi

Still want the article for the Hoch?

Chuck

waksupi
12-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Waksupi

Still want the article for the Hoch?

Chuck

Hi Chuck,
Sure thing! I've found some info, but would like to know as much as possible about it.

Ric

4060MAY
12-25-2006, 12:40 AM
pm your email and I'll scan it for you. pdf ok?
chuck

singleshot1
12-27-2006, 08:53 PM
I have one of the later Meacham actions, it is a 45-70, weighs just over 17 lbs with no sights. It made up into a nice bench or long range prone rifle. Has a good trigger and fast lock time. You might contact Steve at Meacham tool & Hardware, he has a web site. I don't know what it is just now. He sold the action some time ago, and I don't think the new owner ever made any for sale. I'll try and scan some pictures of mine and post them. It may take me a while, thats some thing new for me. Dave

singleshot1
12-27-2006, 09:51 PM
With any luck this will show two pictures of my rifle.

waksupi
12-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Nice. Did you have the reciever color case hardened, or is it just the light?

singleshot1
12-28-2006, 01:11 AM
Waksupi, it is case hardened. The pictures blow up so much it distorts them. The stocks were just blanks that Steve got from Richard Hoch when he bought the rights to manufacture the action. I sent them to Paul Shuttleworth, CPA Rifles, who semi inlet them. I think he still provides this service. If you need wood for your action he is a good source. Very reasonable price, and the wood is a least a grade higher than he rates it. At least that has been my experience. Dave

waksupi
12-28-2006, 08:58 AM
Waksupi, it is case hardened. The pictures blow up so much it distorts them. The stocks were just blanks that Steve got from Richard Hoch when he bought the rights to manufacture the action. I sent them to Paul Shuttleworth, CPA Rifles, who semi inlet them. I think he still provides this service. If you need wood for your action he is a good source. Very reasonable price, and the wood is a least a grade higher than he rates it. At least that has been my experience. Dave

I do like color case hardening. I do wish it didn't fade over time, with light exposure.
I did get one of the Hoch stocks along with the action, but don't know if I will use it, or make a sillywet type stock. I'll do that end of it myself, as I do the stock work for Serengeti Rifles.
;o)

singleshot1
12-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Waksupi, I don't remember the process Steve used, but it has held up well for some years now. He is using the bone charcoal on the hi-walls now. I know that isn't what he used on my action. The barrel is a Badger that was just turned enough to clean it up for polishing. Let us know who made it when you get it. Dave