PDA

View Full Version : Krag loonies, a little help please??

singleshotbuff
12-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Gentlemen,

I know there are a few members here that love Krag rifles. I have not been afflicted with this disease yet, although I was tempted by a cheap sporterized 98(?) Krag last year, so I have a question for the Krag lovers.

I have a couple dozen rounds of 30/40 ammo. It is original as far as I can tell, brass case, 220 (?)gr RN FMJ bullet (silver in color). It is headstamped FA 1 07. Which I assume means Frankford aresenal January 1907.

Is this ammo worth anything to collectors? I kept a few rounds for my modest cartridge collection, but I don't want to keep the rest around in the event a Krag does follow me home, I know me and I'll shoot this ammo! I'd rather find it a good home.

What do you think?

SSB

STP
12-09-2006, 08:31 AM
I have a few samples and the necks have seasoned cracked. Look very closely around the necks and you may see the same. The effects of time, storage conditions, and the as-loaded neck tension eventually take it`s toll.
As far as actually shooting them...I`d pass.

Char-Gar
12-09-2006, 11:24 AM
I am still loading a lot of Krag brass that is FA with dates from 01 to 04. The cases have had their necks and shoulders annealed and I only use them for light loads.

I don't think I would shoot them, as many of the cases would split. If they were mine I would break them down for the brass and bullets. I would toss the power and primers.

I have no idea if there is any collector's value. As far and I am concerned, it is just old ammo.