PDA

View Full Version : Another Pro 4-20 Thread

ColColt
04-06-2011, 07:44 PM
I started this elsewhere in another thread but thought it would be more appropriate to start it here. I ordered the Lee Pro 4-20 and it came today. Lee sure don't give a great deal of instructions with their products. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering but do have a little mechanical aptitude but couldn't figure the valve handle out. You try to move it up/down and it doesn't move. It appears it's locked down with two bolts-one on the top they call the shoulder bolt and one on the bottom. I know I'm missing something here but to me it seems it should move freely to let the lead out of the spout. I haven't melted anything yet, just looking over this new pot and saw no instructions about the handle other than to screw the wooden knob on. This one operates a bit differently than my old Lyman.

OK-I'll take any heat dished out but, what am I missing about this? Does the pot have to have alloy in it and melted before the valve will move? The Lyman isn't like that. The valve arm assembly is shaped like a "C" and the bottom part is right up against the bottom of the pot so I don't see how you could possibly raise the arm.

Cowboy T
04-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Nope, it's a really simple device. It should just move up and down.

There's a screw that adjusts the height of the handle in relation to the "plunger" that opens/closes the spout. That screw might be adjusted all the way in one direction, which could cause what you're experiencing.

Longwood
04-06-2011, 08:14 PM
It's the screw with a round top.

ColColt
04-06-2011, 08:25 PM
They must have had it screwed all the way down as it wouldn't budge. I had to back it off about half a dozen turns...not it will move. I was just unfamiliar with the set up and the instructions were mum about this other than ti indicate turning the screw would increase the flow. Thanks...sort of feel like a dummy now. I think I may like this pot. It's definitely much lighter than the old Lyman but cast iron vs aluminum usually is.:)

Longwood
04-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Mine works OK but I did drill out the spout a little so it would fill big bullet molds faster.

geargnasher
04-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Cowboy T nailed it. That's how they ship them so the parts don't vibrate apart during shipping leaving you to open the box and find a really confusing pile of parts. It also keeps the pintle from peening the seat during shipping, causing a potential leak.

Gear

ColColt
04-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Cowboy T nailed it. That's how they ship them so the parts don't vibrate apart during shipping leaving you to open the box and find a really confusing pile of parts. It also keeps the pintle from peening the seat during shipping, causing a potential leak.

Gear

That makes sense-wish they had indicated that in the instructions. I guess they figured if you ordered the pot you knew how to piece things together by looking. I guess I should have looked closer. I hope this pot last half as long as my old Lyman did. If it does that'll probably be my last one.

cbunt1
04-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I guess they figured if you ordered the pot you knew how to piece things together by looking.

That seems to be a common thread with the lee tools. The instructions on their die sets are pretty good, but everything else, not so much.

I truly beleive the reason the LoadMaster and Pro 1000 have such bad reputations is the instructions (or lack thereof) that come with them...

So many of the Lee tools are amazing for the price...it's access to information and "been there" in places like this that make them usable.

mustanggt
04-11-2011, 09:46 PM
I have two 4-20s and 2 magnum melters. They all work great and never have had a problem with them. I don't know if the things will last as long as your old lyman as I have only had them for two or three years. I have one for each alloy I am using so as to keep things simple and easy. Other fellas here have had theirs for years and gotten good service from them.

cajun shooter
04-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Maybe you can use the information acquired with your degrees to advise Lee on how to make a better product. If you do a search on the Lee pot you will find tons of bad info. I have owned several of the casting pots and the 4-20 is by far the least desired. My last one was removed from the box and with a full pot of 750 degree lead the spout and bracket became separated from the pot. This left me with no way to stop the pour. I grabbed the pot with two welding gloves and threw it out my shop door. There was no harm to me but I had a casting bench full of lead. When I filed a complaint with Lee and advised them I was Lucky none of my grandchildren were present they didn't reply with a single word. I was sent a new Lee pot and I put it up for sale unopened. I will never purchase another product from them. I now use a RCBS PRO Melt and a 4757 Wagge for ladle pouring. Casting is back to where it should be.