PDA

View Full Version : Rossi .44Mag & Lyman 429421 Boolit

robertbank
04-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Well I got a little lesson today. I loaded up 50 cartridges using 22 Gr of 4227 under the 429421. OAL right on my Lyman book 1.710 and off to the range I went with my new unfired toy.

Got there....boolits to long to chamber. Ticked off....loaded one round by hand...missed the target....came home and with a little experimentation found the correct length to chamber (from the carrier) 1.686". Will do proper testing, Chrono etc tomorrow. Bummer!

Take Care

Bob
ps Mould took six weeks to come up from Texas thanks to Canadian Customs taking their time with the package (The parcel came up by air from Vancouver via Canada Post). As an aside the package was not opened - NO TAX!:-D

pps Reminder when using a new mould check for function in firearm before going shooting....

Jeff H
04-06-2011, 08:45 PM
I will be watching this thread, Bob. Watching and rethinking the .357 v. .44 for my own personal reasons of frustration - especially when others are getting bullets (358429) to chamber that I can't.

Do you know what the twist is in the .44?

Thanks for sharing. Eagerly awaiting the next report.

robertbank
04-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Hi Jeff
1 - 30 same as the .357mag.

Take Care

Bob

44 flattop
04-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Common mistake. That has always been one strike against the 429421, it is too long to work through nearly all leverguns.

That is why even though I have been mostly a Lyman guy over the decades, for my .44's that may be ran through a rifle, I always use the RCBS245SWC when using a PB.

Can't wait to see how you end up doing with your rifle!

robertbank
04-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Common mistake. That has always been one strike against the 429421, it is too long to work through nearly all leverguns.

That is why even though I have been mostly a Lyman guy over the decades, for my .44's that may be ran through a rifle, I always use the RCBS245SWC when using a PB.

Can't wait to see how you end up doing with your rifle!

I'll post sometime tomorrow the Chrony results and first accuracy tests. As it stands now the gun will lever the rounds into the chamber just fine using the reduced length.

Take Care

Bob

EMC45
04-07-2011, 11:37 AM
I too have and like the 429-421. Loaded some up, seated to crimp groove and they worked perfect through my Marlin 1894. I was a little worried because I heard the horror stories about them.

twotrees
04-07-2011, 11:42 AM
For my 336 in 44 mag. But shot lights out when single loaded.

NEVER, should have gotten rid of that gun !!!!!

robertbank
04-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Well back from the range. First I suggest an OAL of 1.675. I cut the OAL to close at 1.686. Will confirm this later today.

Now for the good news. Using my 22 gr of IMR 4227 under the 429421 boolit I was able t6o easily hold with 3" at 50 yards. Gun is shooting a tad to the left and will correct next week. I will do more shooting next week at 75 and 100 yards but with a lighter charge see bad news following.

Now for the Chrony results:

Lyman 429421

22 gr IMR 4227. OAL 1.686

HIgh 1495 fps
Low 1456 fps
Avg 1475 fps
Ext Spread 39
SD 10

This load will be my carry load while in the bush only with an OAL of 1.675.

I am going to load down to 20.2 gr which is LYman's quoted minimum and see if felt recoil can be reduced somewhat. I will use this loading for my Devestator boolits as well. Should be fun. In addition I still have some 800X left so may use it up on light loads as well along with some light Unique loads.

Now this is what you have been waiting for. The bad news.

Good grief this gun kicks! Shooting from a bench is quite unpleasant! I stuck a pair of gloves between me and the buttstock to save my shoulder. I doubt it would be quite as bad standing or with an adrenelin rush hitting you as you settle in on a deer, bear or elephant but don't try this load wearing a T - Shirt unless black and blue goes with the colour of your watering eyes.:mrgreen:

My friend Bret over in NY kinda warned me about the recoil. I should have listened more carefully. My 175lb frame got rattled pretty good.

I am going to try some soffter loads now.

Take Care

Bob
ps Linda where is the heating pad.....

TCFAN
04-07-2011, 08:25 PM
For a softer load try 9.5grs. of Unique with your 429421. Also the Lee 200 gr. RNF point with 9.5 Unique is even softer...........Terry

bearcove
04-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Put some lead in it! Like I posted in another thread, if you are going to do load work at the bench for a while take the buttplate off and fill the holes full of lead shot.

220swiftfn
04-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Good grief this gun kicks! Shooting from a bench is quite unpleasant! I stuck a pair of gloves between me and the buttstock to save my shoulder. I doubt it would be quite as bad standing or with an adrenelin rush hitting you as you settle in on a deer, bear or elephant but don't try this load wearing a T - Shirt unless black and blue goes with the colour of your watering eyes.

Yeah, I got that with heavy load .45's too..... The crescent buttplate gets a wee bit brutal....

Dan

Jeff H
04-07-2011, 11:23 PM
AHA!!!
It HURTS!

I could have saved a lot of fellas the effort of trying to help me with that very question in another thread.

I expected as much but wanted to believe otherwise.

So, the next question is - how will those reduced loads shoot? Like I said in the thread where I asked about the Rossi recoil as compared to the Marlin, my Marlin shot great - but only shot great when I was loaded to max velocities.

I wouldn't mind loading down as long as knew it was going to shoot accurately. So far, heavier bullets at lower velocities in my .357 don't stabilize - at least in the heavies I have tried in it so far.

KCSO
04-07-2011, 11:29 PM
I tried 4227 in my 24" barrel Rossi and at 100 yards the groups were pretty sad. I switched to H110 and the groups shrunk to under 3" at 100 yards.

44 flattop
04-08-2011, 01:25 AM
Wow! One thing I have never thought, was that a .44 rifle ever hurt! I've shot some light ones and with some mighty heavy loads but none ever hurt. Funny how folks perceive recoil differently. A .375 H&H doesn't bother me but a Winchester model 12 in 12ga absolutely tears me up.

For a light load 9 to 10 grains of Unique makes an absolutely wonderful load. I've killed a LOT of deer with 9grs of Unique and a 255gr SWC from both rifle and pistol. Really does a great job on deer out to as far as I've used it on game, about 110 yards.

Another really great load that is kind of middle of the road for the .44 is about 17.5grs of 2400. Really a good all around load. But the Unique load is my all time favorite.

NHlever
04-08-2011, 09:26 AM
I read all the articles, etc. that told how a carbine turns the .44 Mag into a ***** cat so when my boys were ready to start deer hunting, I picked up a Marlin in .44. After shooting it myself, I kept it for myself, and got them a .357 Mag 1894C. We were hunting in cover where we could only have 50 yard firing lanes from our ground stands, and they both loved that rifle. Now I've used the .44's in carbines for a lot of years (the boys are in their 40's now), and like them a lot in both bolt guns, and levers, and even had a fling with a semi auto for a while. I would probably prefer my 45-70 for the bull moose I saw behind my place a while ago, but the .44 will always be a good cast boolit gun for these parts.

EMC45
04-08-2011, 10:10 AM
I load my 429-421s with 20gr. Hercules 2400 and after about 20 rounds in the 1894 I am DONE!

Jeff H
04-08-2011, 10:43 AM
......Funny how folks perceive recoil differently. A .375 H&H doesn't bother me but a Winchester model 12 in 12ga absolutely tears me up......44

I think you hit on two different but important factors in that one sentance. Maybe you meant to.

How one percieves recoil, in my mind, may be more a matter of tolerance for "pain," which might not even BE pain for some, but the sudden disconcerting jolt or the muzzle blast - a combination of the two even. I shot the .357 full tilt in revolvers for years, and while it was not at all painful, the snappy reaction of the revolver and obnoxious muzzle blast was not necessarily a positive factor in the "fun equation." The psychological perception may be part of it for many, but the physiological tolerance - the neck injuries I mentioned in another thread, make recoil problemetic for me in a shoulder-fired arm.

How a particular shoulder arm transfers that energy into you is something else. I know what you are saying about the difference between the .375 and the 12 ga., because I had a post '64 Winchester Model 70 in 06 and was able to shoot 180 grain loads in it. I also had a Husqvarna L-51 lightweight in .308 and 150s just about made me cry. They weighed almost the same but something about the stock designs must have made the difference.

If the Rossi, with it's 1:30 twist, shoots well with the kind of mag loads I have always used (about half way between .44 Special loads and .44 mag loads, I think I would be able to get along with it.

robertbank
04-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Well Jeff we wil know soon enough. I just loaded 50 cartridgesd with 20.2 Gr of 4227 which is the minimum listed in my Lyman Manual. I am about to load another 50 rounds with 9 gr of Unique. According to the manuals the velocity should be about the same.

As tp recoil my Shotgun for 40 years was a Model 12, 12 gauge and it really never bothered me. Trap or wing shooting it just purred along. My Huquavarna Husky in 30-06 was a jolt but bearable - my son loves it now. But the Rossi with 22gr of 4227 was painful. I am sure when looking at a buck at 50 yards I will hardly notice the recoil but from a bench.....

All of this is probably a function of age as well. I like single Malt Scotch, a nice Brandy on occasion and the allure of a fine dry Red Wine has it's place at my table - as does a Labrador at my feet and the wife at my side. Watching my Edmonton Oilers go down to defeat and wind up in last place in the NHL while holding a heating pad to my shuolder... not so much.[smilie=l:

Take Care

Bob

robertbank
04-08-2011, 05:32 PM
OK back from the range. First I loaded all the following rounds 1.675" and the cartridges loaded smoothly. No issues.

Wind was up so I didn't do any accuracy testing but did plink away at our 50 yard 8" plates that swung back and forth with each shot fired. I'll do accuracy testing next week weather permitting.

I must thank 44 flattop for the Unique suggestion. Both of the following loads were quite mild compared to yesterdays boomers. You wouldn't think 2 grains of 4227 would make that much of difference but it did.

Here are the results over the Chrony.

Lyman 429421
OAL 1.675

20 gr. IMR 4227

HIgh 1361 fps
Low 1343 fps
Avg 1351 fps
Ext Spread 18
SD 8

9 gr. Unique

Hgh 1247 fps
Low 1209 fps
Avg 1236 fps
Ext. Spread 38
SD 10

Both loads shot very well with acceptable recoil. Cartridges fed smoothly.

Take Care

Bob

Hanzerik
04-08-2011, 07:23 PM
I sighted my .44Mag pumas in from the prone position (no bench). My 20" with the cresent steel buttplate can be pretty brutal with full-house mag loads. The 16" with the standard steel buttplate isn't as bad but still thumps the shoulder. From the kneeling and standing positions they are both much more enjoyable to shoot with full-house loads. Even the Wally-World WWB Semi Jacketed 240gr loads are kind of painful out of them.

A nice light load of 7.5-8grs of Unique makes a pleasant shooting load.

gon2shoot
04-08-2011, 07:50 PM
after shooting the 500gr 45-70 prone ,I dont worry much about the 44 lol but wouldnt sell the little Browning to my buddy for his daughter.

AlaskaMike
04-08-2011, 10:16 PM
I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but if you haven't already slugged the barrel on the Rossi, you should probably do so. Mine surprised me with a groove diameter of .433". It explained why it never shot commercial .431" cast bullets very well at all.

The oversized bore aside, I like shooting 200 grain RNFPs through it using .44 Special brass and 6 grains of Clays. Very soft shooting, but I do need to readjust the rear sight, naturally.

The bullet that works the best in my Rossi is from a group buy mould we did here awhile back titled something like "Big, fat, flat 44". It's the top one in the pic from this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=25714

I size that .434" with a custom sizing die from Buffalo Arms, and it shoots beautifully, whether I use 10 grains of Unique or 22 grains of 296. I crimp in the middle crimp groove since I had it hang up a couple times when I crimped in the bottom groove.

I might be wrong, but I think there was another group buy recently for this design, but this time with Mihec.

Jeff H
04-08-2011, 10:32 PM
......Mine surprised me with a groove diameter of .433".........

Interesting. I have a RDO 432-265 that I would hope would work in one of these Rossi .44s, but it won't throw a .432", let alone .433" with my "alloy."

On the other end of the spectrum, we have my Rossi .357, which slugs at .355".

robertbank
04-08-2011, 11:16 PM
I haven't slugged my bore but from what I can see it handles my boolit sized 431 very well. If the accuracy is not there then I will slug it but not until I can determine how well it shoots. Initial results are very priomising.

Take Care

Bob

AlaskaMike
04-08-2011, 11:48 PM
If it shoots good, that's what matters!

44 flattop
04-09-2011, 01:27 AM
I must thank 44 flattop for the Unique suggestion. Both of the following loads were quite mild compared to yesterdays boomers. You wouldn't think 2 grains of 4227 would make that much of difference but it did.

Here are the results over the Chrony.

Lyman 429421

9 gr. Unique

Hgh 1247 fps
Low 1209 fps
Avg 1236 fps
Ext. Spread 38
SD 10

Cartridges fed smoothly.

I'm awful glad you like the load. I just can't say enough good about the load. It has satisfied 95% of my needs over the past 4 decades. I guess thats about the best thing I can say!

mdi
04-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Yep, slug your barrel. Mine slugs at a hair over .431" so I shoot unsized Ranchdog 265 gr. FNGC (they drop at about .432"+ with my wheel weight alloy)..I use a med. load of WC820 or 15.0 - 16.0 of Bluedot for good shooting loads. I tried Lyman's 429421 and, yep, it's too long. I've read about shortening a Magnum case to be able to use the crimp groove and still feed or crimp over the driving band, but I found the RD mold before I got into that. I also play around with several different powders, just for grins, and have used the 10 gr Unique and 24.0 gr. H110 loads with Lyman's 429421, in my revolvers.

robertbank
04-09-2011, 12:51 PM
I shortened the cartridge by crimping into the forward driving band. Rounds loaded just fine and I haven't noticed any effect on performance. There is certainly no sign of excessive pressure arising using the above loads.

Take Care

Bob

txbirdman
04-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Bob,

I had a 44 Mag Rossi (gave it to one of my sons) that I shot mostly with the 429421 and 9.5 gr. was the load most often shot. Groups were in the 2" range at 50 yds as I recall. My youngest son got one of the 16" larger lever Rossi's and that little carbine simply would not shoot any cast bullet load I tried. It sprayed rather than grouped. It shot very well with jacketed though. I suspect it suffers from a large chamber. I was sizing to .431. So it might be a good ideal to measure that chamber. I also had to crimp on the band to achieve a suitable length

robertbank
04-11-2011, 01:34 AM
Hi Richard

Weather here turns for the worst for the next couple of days. It is cool and drizzel for the next three days. I am going to take my Devastator rounds out tomorrow and kill a few milk jugs with the .44mag and try my HP 358521's on a couple as well. Accuracy tests will have to wait until later in the week.

I am going to send down 50 of the 358421 HP's to Tim to try out. He should get them in about 10 days. Pony Express is faster going your way than coming North.:mrgreen:

Take Care

Bob

robertbank
04-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Just a quick update. Raining today but I took my Devastator booit out today. I loaded 50 rds with 20 gr of 4227. Because of the weather I just thought I would try an expansion shot into 4 litre milk jugs ( 1 US Gallon size). Boolit went through four jugs, coming to rest in the 5th. The boolit mushroomed out to .537" from sized .431 and weighed in at 171 gr vs 265 new. Decent I would say. I'll chrono the loads later in the week and do accuracy tests.

Take Care

Bob

txbirdman
04-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Bob,

I've been messing with drilled HP's in that bullet and I've come to the conclusion that you almost need pure lead to achieve very good weight retention and mushrooming. My tests in handguns have mostly resulted in wadcutter looking bullets with the noses sheared off. I have been using 50/50 ACWW and lead. Penetration has been about 1 milk jug deeper than your test. I'm going to reduce the diameter of my HP and keep trying but drinking all that milk is having an adverse affect on my waist.

robertbank
04-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Hey Richard between my wife drinking milk in her coffee and my Lab who won't eat breakfast until she has some milk on her food I would not have a jug in the house. I cut my WW alloy with 2lbs of lead to 18lbs WW. After sizing the nose hole is not all that big but it is like a reverse truncated cone if you know what I mean. I got a full mushroom but the nose sides came off/ I assume from the plastic jugs. Don't try this test from 10" away. Don't ask!

With the rifle you get more velocity. I would guess my boolits are running around 1550 fps. I'll send down 15 boolits when I send Francis main squeeze his HP boolits. He doesn't have a .44mag so you should get them from him. :razz:

I'll know better when I run these over a Chrony.

Take Care

Bob

longbow
04-12-2011, 11:53 PM
I skimmed through some of the recoil comments with a smile and a wince!

I have shot many rounds loaded with the 429421 over 24 grs. IMR4227 in my Marlin 1894 and yes it does kick in that light little gun! Ouch!!

I have loaded heavier boolits over H110 but I don't recall ever using it with the 429421. I have had good results with IMR4227 so keep using it.

For light loads I have had good results with Unique as well.

I also had OAL problems but solved that by modifying the cartridge stop to allow longer OAL. It is an easy operation with the Marlin but I don't know about the Rossi.

My Marlin does not like to feed SWC's very well. Seems some do and some don't. I had to modify the carrier a bit which helped but I also am now shooting the H&G #503 and Mihec 434640 both being much better fit to my oversize barrel. The 429421 cast right on 0.429" to maybe 0.430" and my barrel is 0.4315" so leading was an issue. Not so with fatter boolits and both shoot much better than the 429421. If it fit better it might do okay though.

My latest acquisition is an Accurate Molds moulds #43-165B:

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-165B-D.png

My first impression is WOW! Both mould and boolits. It is a light boolit for sure and I got it for light plinking loads but it seems to perform very well loaded light or heavy. I have more shooting to do but so far I am impressed. Accuracy was very good. Also, for the recoil sensitive it is a low recoil round even loaded up pretty hot.

If you are looking for a light plinking boolit (and a screamer too) I recommend it and Tom's moulds are beautiful.

Longbow

txbirdman
04-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Don't try this test from 10" away. Don't ask!

Bob, I don't have to ask---- been there, done that. lol

I think your estimate on velocity is about right based on my old test data.

Later,
Richard

jlchucker
04-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I got that with heavy load .45's too..... The crescent buttplate gets a wee bit brutal....

Dan

You betcha, Dan. For years I had a 94 Winnie trapper, and it went with me everywhere. Later on, when I got a 24 inch Rossi, the first thing I tried were some of the handloads I had on hand tor the trapper (429215 boolit behind 20 gr 2400). I never thought that felt recoil would be so bad from a much heavier gun. Those crescent buttplates my look good, but it's easy to see why manufacturers got away from them--manufacturing costs notwithstanding.

robertbank
04-21-2011, 09:57 AM
You betcha, Dan. For years I had a 94 Winnie trapper, and it went with me everywhere. Later on, when I got a 24 inch Rossi, the first thing I tried were some of the handloads I had on hand tor the trapper (429215 boolit behind 20 gr 2400). I never thought that felt recoil would be so bad from a much heavier gun. Those crescent buttplates my look good, but it's easy to see why manufacturers got away from them--manufacturing costs notwithstanding.

Well I and glad I am not the only one who found the load rather harsh.:grin:

I have some loaded for bush carry when I want something that will do a job on anything I encounter. For range use and general plinking I think 9 gr of Unique seems to wrk for me with the rifle. I wouldn't mind finding a slip on recoil pas that fits the gun either quite frankly. Anyone know who might make one that would fit?

Take Care

Bob

Dale53
04-21-2011, 10:30 AM
After reading this thread, it reminded me of my first "encounter" with a Marlin 45/70 lever action. It had a hard plastic sharply curved buttplate with sharp edges. It was summer and I only had a "T" shirt on my upper body. The loads were "Marlin Only" loads. After one five round group my shoulder ended up black and blue and bleeding. I DID like the rifle, however and went looking for one of my own.

A friend put me on to a nice used one for a good price. The FIRST thing I did was have a good recoil pad installed at the proper length for me. It made a WORLD of difference!

Take those .44 lever actions and put a good recoil pad (Pachmayr Decelerator or a Limbsaver works very well). You won't believe how much difference it'll make. Forget about looks - just do it. You will thank me after you "get 'er done"...

Dale53

robertbank
08-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Well I just wanted to post an update. I just took my Rossi to the 'smith and he is going to install a recoil pad on the gun and square off the butt plate. The gun won't be period correct but it sure will be easier on the shoulder. I am off to Seattle then Calgary to do some IDPA shooting so it won't be until the end of the month before I get a chance to fire the gun up. I'll post pictures when I am back.

Take Care

Bob

phaessler
08-09-2011, 02:04 PM
I am glad I am not the only one trying to use the Keith style bullets.
Just a snipet here in regards to the .44Mag lever gun recoil. I found this a while ago, and without the extra expense of gunsmith install or changing an original rifle:
http://www.theshootersfriend.com
Have a few, on my 1895 CB .45-70, and 1894 .44Mag.

Pete

seabreeze133
08-10-2011, 10:21 PM
My load in a SBH 10.5" from the sillywet days was

WW cases
WLP primers
24 gr MR 4227.
Lyman 429244GC and weighs about 262 gr of water quenched ww sized 432..
Flattened the 200 m rams.

Use it now in my Marlin 1894 s. Accurate and expect better when it is broken in.

Rifle is a 1990 mfg safe queen I just picked up for $400. Never been fired by previous owner.

Microgroove Marlins often (mostly) need the 432 , hard boolits driven hard.

Best start at 22 or so gr and work up. Recommend comparing case head expansion of your loads w/factory ammo. Measure factory loads before and after firing. Same procedure w/your loads. The light loads of Unique are not a problem, but they don't shoot well in my rifle.

Same load data but w/the Lyman 429215GC chronographed at 1550 from the SBH, but was not accurate past the 150m rams. On a bright day the spotter could see the boolit wash and found they would take off to the right. Never did figure out why, so used them on the chickens and pigs. A solid hit on the chickens would push them back a couple of feet

:o)

DB

robertbank
08-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Well back from a 4800km road trip shooting IDPA. I picked up my Rossi .44mag today from the gunsmith. I had a recoil pad installed. I am off to the range tomorrow to see if my shoulder will love me or not.

The 'smith did a nice job and from what I can see the pad ought to do the trick.

Take Care

Bob

T-Bird
09-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Objectionable recoil is the reason that I load my 45 Colt puma to 1100fps from the rifle. This is a 900fps load from a pistol, but produces plenty of power for any hunting application for a short range rifle with a 270 rcbs. T-Bird

robertbank
09-02-2011, 07:39 PM
With the recoil pad 20 gr of 4227 under my Lyman Devastator boolit is quite pleasant after 20 rounds down range. The pad turned the gun into a shootable rifle. Before teh pad it was hurtful to shoot.

Take Care

Bob

wvmedic
09-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Bob, can't wait to see that recoil pad. I've been thinking of doing something with my Rossi, square off the butplate for a recoil pad like a limbsaver. Then put on a leather wrap to hide everything, should look good and make a pleasant shooter. Though mine is only a .357, my wife would like something over the crescent plate.

Jeff

robertbank
09-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Bob, can't wait to see that recoil pad. I've been thinking of doing something with my Rossi, square off the butplate for a recoil pad like a limbsaver. Then put on a leather wrap to hide everything, should look good and make a pleasant shooter. Though mine is only a .357, my wife would like something over the crescent plate.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I'll post a picture tomorrow. The 'smith filled in the top of the butt stock where the metal plate overlaps the comb of the stock and did a good match on the stain. He put an insert between the wood and the pad to lengthen the reach for me as I have long arms. Gun now fits much better and shoots with far less recoil. The shoulder loves the addition. Next up is to install a Skinner peep sight in the dovetail.

Take Care

Bob

jgt
09-04-2011, 01:21 PM
I have owned both the Rossi and Marlin 44 mag rifles. My past experience includes hunting with both 3" twelve gage shotguns and 300 win mag rifles. So the claim about "Precieved Recoil" doesn't hold water. Those making such accusation have never shot Rossi's, or are just yanking our collective chain. Rossi's with the load from the lyman book of 24 grns of 4227 under a 240 grn bullet will in fact, make your eyes water, clear your sinuses, and bruse your shoulder all at the same time.

After switching to a Marlin with its shotgun style butt design my "Precieved Recoil" experience went downscale instantly. I won't say it is gone completely, but it is considerably less. I could shoot my 1894 like it is from now on, but I am considering adding a recoil pad to make mine even more comfortable.

My Rossi's were all earlier guns made before they were the rage with cowboy action shooters. All fed flawlessly, had good triggers and slick actions, and were accurate. The action design is stronger than the Marlin also. If you own one and have found a way to shoot it that works for you, you have my respect.

Four Fingers of Death
09-04-2011, 10:16 PM
A small bag full of lead shot between your shoulder and the rifle slows things down a tad.

mdi
09-06-2011, 02:00 PM
When I load up some 429421s for my Puma I'll crimp them over the shoulder (haven't measured OAL though). The are too long otherwise. During my search for a good bullet for my Puma I came upon Ranchdog's 265 gr. RFN GC. Feeds great, easy to cast and lube, fairly accurate (gooder'n me).

I have a plate in my sholder to hold together my collarbone and after 30 or so shots, the buttplate has left a raw place on my sholder. Not much pain to speak of, just a raw spot where the skin was pounded against the stainless steel plate. I'm looking for a leather lace-on butt pad that might fix that, and look "period"...:Bright idea:

HDS
09-06-2011, 02:33 PM
E: nevermind, gotta check what OAL I got. All I know is I can crimp them over the crimp groove and they feed.

robertbank
09-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Here is a top view of the comb where the 'smith inlaid a piece of wood to fill in the void from the metal butt plate and another shot from the side.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/robertbank/303Longbranch003JPG.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/robertbank/303Longbranch004JPG.jpg

I think he did a pretty good job. My shoulder loves the gun now. I asked him to install the spacer to give me a longer reach.

Take Care

Bob