PDA

View Full Version : My Enfield is in the gun hospital

wallenba
04-06-2011, 07:03 PM
After scoring a used barrel from Numrich for my SMLE No.1 MK III for the princely sum of $45 US, I wasn't expecting a miracle. When it came I slugged it twice, because I just could not believe that it is a .311. I measured it over and over. Pure joy, as the original is .317 and has been giving me fits.
Next, my search for a gun doctor to perform the transplant led me to D&D Gunsmiths in Troy Mi. where the conversation turned to cast boolits and where I soon found out that our own fellow castbooliteer 'Tedly' works. A bunch of great guys and with lots of knowledge there. Confidence is high my ailing Enfield will be in better form soon.
So...all the griping and pleas for help getting it to shoot should end soon.:p

JeffinNZ
04-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Oh, what's 6 thou between friends ah? LOL. Good for you. Long live the SMLe.

Bloodman14
04-06-2011, 08:25 PM
.311?! Really? My prayers for a speedy recovery!

Multigunner
04-06-2011, 08:27 PM
After scoring a used barrel from Numrich for my SMLE No.1 MK III for the princely sum of $45 US, I wasn't expecting a miracle. When it came I slugged it twice, because I just could not believe that it is a .311. I measured it over and over. Pure joy, as the original is .317 and has been giving me fits.
Next, my search for a gun doctor to perform the transplant led me to D&D Gunsmiths in Troy Mi. where the conversation turned to cast boolits and where I soon found out that our own fellow castbooliteer 'Tedley' works. A bunch of great guys and with lots of knowledge there. Confidence is high my ailing Enfield will be in better form soon.
So...all the griping and pleas for help getting it to shoot should end soon.:p

Welcome to the tiny band of those who have lucked onto true .311 bores. These would actually have not passed gauging, as minimun bore size according to the SAID drawings was .313.

If you had to you could even use .308 flat base J word bullets in a .311 bore with fair accuracy, if the core is soft enough to upset. Originally Krag and M1917 bores could gauge .310 (and some higher) and still pass acceptance inspections, which is probably why many thought the M1917 used P-13 barrel blanks, the P-13 also had a .313 minum bore size.

Bannerman used modified Krag barrels for his .303 training rifles sent to England early in WW1. These were later condemned around 1916 and most destroyed, they didn't get the magwell right so it was basically a single shot, but I've heard that a few were used in competition and outshot the Enfield handily, the tighter bore was credited with its superior accuracy.

Von Dingo
04-09-2011, 02:03 PM
D&D does some good work in my eyes. I've darkened their door way many a times.