PDA

View Full Version : check this out !!!!!!

Thinktwicez71
04-06-2011, 05:45 PM
i just bought and found a (original Star) lube sizer on starrealoaders.com , anyways i got it today , a guy was selling it from an estate sale that the owner had passed away. i got it for 200 , i know expensive , but i wanted an original star not a magma. anyways it came with 10 boxes of micro ammunition micro lubex-500 solid sticks , that appear to be a 50/50 lube , beeswax / alox. and it also came with 12 boxes of lyman ideal bullet lube, black stuff so im assumeing moly. i think i got a great deal. what do ya think ?

oh yeah it also came with a star .358 die and top punch
to go along with the .452 die and toppunch lathesmith made me

plainsman456
04-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Sometimes you just fall into deals like that.
You will like it.

fryboy
04-06-2011, 08:15 PM
i cant say about the micro ammunition micro lubex-500 solid sticks but the lyman ideal is the standard formula that has been around for eons , consist of , sheep tallow, lamp black , and beeswax , IMHO it's also a wee bit harder than their moly lube , but both can turn everything ummm black lolz , nice score amigo !

dragonrider
04-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Yes I'd say you made a good deal. It's an awfully clean looking machine, little use perhaps or did you clean it up???

Thinktwicez71
04-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Nope that is how I got it , a little sirface rust on the lube tube and slider rods , but it is as smooth as glass

Doby45
04-06-2011, 10:04 PM
I would sell the lube on eBay and order some Carnuba red from White Label Lubes. ;) Thats just what I would do..

Hip's Ax
04-07-2011, 12:21 PM
i cant say about the micro ammunition micro lubex-500 solid sticks but the lyman ideal is the standard formula that has been around for eons , consist of , sheep tallow, lamp black , and beeswax , IMHO it's also a wee bit harder than their moly lube , but both can turn everything ummm black lolz , nice score amigo !

Why is lamp black in a bullet lube? Coloring?

felix
04-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Lamp black is a non-kosher graphite. ... felix

454PB
04-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Good for you!

Those old containers of Lyman lube have to be from the 50's or early 60's.......probably collector items.

Thinktwicez71
04-07-2011, 07:28 PM
the only problem i am having so far is i keep on getting bullets with 90% filled groove , but i keep getting about a 1/8th inch part that has no lube in it, i got pressure on the spring , but i dunno what else to do. i am pretty sure the top punch is correct because i am not getting lube on the nose or base of the bullet. could the spring in the lube resovoir be kinda week ? or am i just not putting enough pressure on it ?

454PB
04-07-2011, 09:24 PM
It sounds like you need to increase the throw on the high pressure pump. That is the plunger that is activated by the end of the handle stroke. Look carefully, and you'll see that the bolt head that "stops" the stroke can be screwed inwards or outwards to change the amount of pump stroke. You need more movement, so screw it out.

Thinktwicez71
04-08-2011, 11:48 PM
alright , ill try that , thanks

Cap'n Morgan
04-09-2011, 01:59 AM
Could it be that your fifty years old lube has gone somewhat dry?

Thinktwicez71
04-09-2011, 12:51 PM
i think i might have found my problem , the pressure spring in the back of the machine on the bottom doesn't seem to spring back fast like the videos on youtube , mine seems kinda sluggish , i dunno if it is the double ended bolt up top is kinda sticky , or the rear spring in the back has lube on it and sticks . any idea how to fix this ?

454PB
04-09-2011, 01:49 PM
What Cap'n Morgan said could be part of the problem. If the sizer sat for years with lube in it, that lube can thicken and get sticky. Some heat and flushing (by using it) may free things up.

mold maker
04-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Apply some heat to soften the old lube and allow the bolt to move freely. That tool is too good looking to have many problems.
Ya done good.

Thinktwicez71
04-09-2011, 03:10 PM
well i have already put in more lube since i got it , i was lubeing quite a bit to get it dialed in , i found out that the 50/50 lube that came with it is kinda thick and sticky , with a little heat it seems alot better !

Thinktwicez71
04-09-2011, 03:10 PM
and yes , machine is in great shape , i love it , i can't believe how damn long i messed around with pan lubeing and lee push through sizers :castmine:

Crash_Corrigan
04-09-2011, 03:48 PM
I hate buying something like that. I have heard that setting up the Star for a calibre is a PITA. So that would mean I would have to have a six pack of Stars for my reloading bench. One for my 9 MM's, another for .38's, another for .41 Mag, another for .44 Specials, another for .45 ACP's and the last one for my BPCR 50-90 Sharps.

If I had an unlimited budge I would have two Dillon 550's. One for large primers and the other for small. With the Square Deal Presses I also would need at least 5 or six of them. The only press that really is fast and easy to change calibres and primers sizes is the Lee Classic Turret Press. At last count I have 10 toolheads for that thing and it is a joy to use. It ain't as fast as a Dillon but it is a lot faster than a single stage press. This is the one that I use for all my rifle calibres and when I get it going I can churn out a buncha rounds PDQ.

454PB
04-09-2011, 10:03 PM
I hate buying something like that. I have heard that setting up the Star for a calibre is a PITA. So that would mean I would have to have a six pack of Stars for my reloading bench. One for my 9 MM's, another for .38's, another for .41 Mag, another for .44 Specials, another for .45 ACP's and the last one for my BPCR 50-90 Sharps.

I kinda, sorta do that. I have two Lyman 450's, a Herter (Saeco clone), and a Star. Since most of my lubrisizing is for .452", I keep the Star set up for that. The Lymans have .310" and .4585" dies installed, and the Herter has a .358" die installed. This covers 80% of the sizing I do, and if I need to change out for one of the other calibers I use, I usually pick the Lymans because they are easier and quicker to change.

However, the Star changes are easier and quicker if you take measurements of the proper setting for each style of boolit you use and write it down for reference. I use a dial caliper and measure the distance between the top of the sizing die and the bottom of the adjustable punch.

Thinktwicez71
04-10-2011, 10:53 AM
that is why i got the lathesmith top punches with the lock nut , its like setting your dies up for reloading , you set it once , tighten the lock nut and its set , next time just screw it in till the nut bottoms out and your back to where u where ....easy enough for me

454PB
04-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Which works fine unless you have 15 different moulds in .452" diameter.