PDA

View Full Version : Getting lead out of mould

David LaPell
04-05-2011, 11:13 PM
I picked up an old 6 cavity P & c .41 caliber mould today that apparently when last used was left aside without the six bullets being taken out or even the sprue knocked off. I don't want to go banging on it, so I am hoping tomorrow if the weather cooperates to turn on one of my Lee furnaces and then leave it over the edge for a bit to warm it up. Hopefully this will soften the lead up to where I can get it loose.

2wheelDuke
04-05-2011, 11:21 PM
I've always been taught that leaving the cavities full and the sprue un-cut is good for keeping any moisture out of there.

I keep my 2-cav molds that way, and so far it's not hurt them to whack the sprue plate to cut it.

I suppose you could heat the mold until it melts then cut the sprue as normal. I'm not sure if the extra effort to cut on a 6 cav is really going to hurt things or not.

jsizemore
04-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Fill your casting pot about 3/4 full and melt. Stick your thermometer in the melt. Stick your mold on top of the melt beside the thermometer and when the melt temp hits 475-500 degrees that rascal will pop open easy. Shortly your pot will be up to casting temp and the fun begins getting to know your new casting buddy. Fun!

Echo
04-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Swat the sprue plate and dump the boolits. It was made to work that way...