PDA

View Full Version : newb needs help

AaronJ
04-05-2011, 10:56 PM
I have been casting for a while now but just started mixing my own lube. before I was using thompsons blue angel lube and it worked fine but it kept going up in price. What I liked most about it was that boolits could be lubed and stored for periods of time without the lube falling off. I recently tried this with some homade juniors 411 lube and many of my boolits had lost their lube. I guess I need a harder lube but was wondering what others use to lube and store boolits. Anyand all help would be greatly appreciated.

noylj
04-05-2011, 11:21 PM
See sticky "White Label Lubes"
See sticky "just the Facts--Lube Recipes"
Is your lube so brittle that it falls out? Add some petrolatum/lanolin/grease.

fryboy
04-06-2011, 12:08 AM
hard lubes usually require heat ( think of it as casting a wax ring under pressure ) pan lubing usually works best when the lube has been melted and the bullets brought to the same temp - just as in casting boolits ,cold molds ( or in this case groove - the mold for the that cast wax ring ) doesnt cast as well as warm ones do , as noylj stated if brittle add something to soften it/add flex , lanolin does this as well as adding tack , i havent tried 411 , on soft lubes some people dust their lubed boolits with mica or such to help keep the boolit lube from sticking to each other and pulling out groove , the softer/tackier the lube the less well it stores

AaronJ
04-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Adding heat is no problem for me. With the thompsons I had to turn the heater on for 30 min before lube would start to flow. 411 is far from brittle and it sticks to my boolits well it just rubs off to easy when stored.

wiljen
04-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Felix lube is amongst the best home made lubes in my opinion. I use it with a bit of added carnauba wax and it has never thought about falling off a bullet.

AaronJ
04-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Does the felix lube store well on boolits? Also where can one find lanolin?

canyon-ghost
04-06-2011, 08:10 PM
What if I suggest Carnuba Red for hard lube? It's around $2 a stick! This is what I use and I love it for my Lyman sizer.

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

fryboy
04-06-2011, 08:12 PM
finding lanolin locally is pricey and sketchy at best , online at many places but .... one of our members added it to his line of lube making products , randyrat's a great guy to deal with as well , in the bottom of his post in his sig line he has links to all the details

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=86774

another good option is white label lubes commercial red ( you have to ask for it ) it's hard to beat lar's prices ! , he's also a vendor sponsor here

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=56454

AaronJ
04-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Well after re reading the lube recipes I decided to try 1 lb beeswax 1 table spoon vaseline and 1 tea spoon johnsons paste wax. Success lube sticks to bullets and cant be easily brushed off. Now I guess I have to go load some ammo and test it.

garbear
04-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Get some Carnube red from white label lubes

fcvan
04-14-2011, 01:39 AM
I bought lanolin from the drug store in the baby department as it is apparently used by nursing mothers.