PDA

View Full Version : remington rider barrel liners shotgun to rifle

jon skorepa
04-05-2011, 09:34 PM
i heard about a hand interchangeable full length shotgun to rifle liner offered by remington rider 1900-1905? have any of you heard/seen/used these liners. a shot shell profile at breace and a conned hand nut at the muzzle. 10ga,12ga,16ga 20ga,24ga,28ga,maby 410ga. many calibres offered @ about $12.00. neat idea for old ss shotguns. can make a rifle and still have a scatter gun. as always curiouse.

Lonegun1894
04-06-2011, 01:06 AM
There are still a couple companies that make chamber inserts to allow this, but I can't remember names right now. The ones I saw, but did not get to fire, were just chamber inserts, and not full-lenght liners. They did however offer them in a variety of calibers starting with .22, on up to .44mag and even .30-30, in various gauges. I cant speak for the accuracy as I did not get to fire these, but the owner said they had limited utility out of his old single-shot shotgun with a bead. He had a 12 ga with inserts in .22, .30 carbine, .44 mag, and .30-30, and said there were others available.

Pavogrande
04-06-2011, 03:21 PM
I have one -
12ga to 38-55 -- Just as you described. 12ga at breech, has its own extractor activated by the weapons extractor and a threaded cone at the muzzle. The barrel wall is thicker than a standard liner.
I don't think it is remington though -- It is unmarked - For some reason I think it is european, though I don't recall why.

jon skorepa
04-06-2011, 08:07 PM
possibly baikal ressian? tks jon

Pavogrande
04-07-2011, 12:08 AM
I dug it out of the weeds today -- While there is not a makers name, there are some presumed proof marks and the belgian E L G ---

blindeye
04-10-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm not a shotgun guy, but am a rolling block enthusiast. I've seen copies of print ads for such rifle caliber liners offered by Remington to convert the rolling block sporting shotgun. I've only seen one example in person. The gun was part of a roped-off display at a Ohio Gun Collectors Assn. display show. I was unable to examine it and at a distance could only discern it by the knurled muzzle nut. I don't know the caliber or even if it was original, but would think so given the quality of items on display.
Short of an original, I might look into the Briley short sub-gauge tubes.. The breech section has it's own extractor, they can be had for semi-moderate cost. Maybe a rifle barrel could be threaded into the shotgun-chambered breech section?

BerdanIII
04-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Wander down to page 3 of this board: Remington Rider #3 12-gauge mit rifle barrel, plus ad, plus pics.

lbaize3
04-13-2011, 05:17 PM
go to this site for information on various caliber inserts into the 410, 20 and 12 gauge shotguns

http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm