PDA

View Full Version : making lube

trap shooter
04-05-2011, 06:00 PM
it is time for me to make lube again i have 2lbs bee wax 2lbs canning par 2 lbs jpw what else do i need

fryboy
04-05-2011, 06:14 PM
something to soften it .... it depends upon the lube desired honestly , if you had a pound of STP sans the JPW you would have 5# of saeco green ( or what ever color you tinted it - my first batch was red ) add grease, vaseline or oil to get the desired consistency , i would suggest that plain simple 50/50 beeswax and grease/vaseline works well for most lube needs ( i usually use about 60% wax myself ) as for the JPW ....used as it is it might have a tendency to shrink the lube as the mineral spirits evaporate , if you slowly simmer the JPW down to about 1/4 of it's current size ( volume ) this will be negligent and 1-2 tablespoons per pound of wax is usually sufficient

noylj
04-05-2011, 11:23 PM
take any one of the waxes and add petrolatum/grease/alox.
Do you want a hard stick lube, a pan lube, or what?

runfiverun
04-06-2011, 12:21 AM
i don't care for a 50-50 of b-wax and parrafin it's too brittle.
lithium is a good lube also.
i'd go for something like 70-30 b-p wax and 15% white lith and about 5% jpw.
give it a few days to settle then modify the lube with some lanolin up to 5% to add flex and sticky.
if the lube is hard at this time some vaseline or atf will soften it up to your desired consistency and the remelting will help with the binding.
if its too soft for your taste some extra wax or some ivory soap flakes will harden things up.

Beerd
04-06-2011, 02:40 PM
6 pounds of any kind of lube will do a LOT of bullets

madman
04-06-2011, 03:38 PM
More info needed. What caliber, size, Velocity, weight, black or smokeless powder?