PDA

View Full Version : Star Lubrisizer

Frank46
12-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Are these as good as everyone says they are?. Can they take rifle bullets. As you can guess I know nothing about them. Frank

LAH
12-08-2006, 09:15 AM
They are very good. Every rifle bullet Dry Creek cast were sized and lubed on a Star. You can size nose first or base first. Gas checks or plain base. I love the Star. It's true some here can do "things" better with a Lyman or RCBS but for the volume shooter there is nothing better without a motor. JMT..........Creeker

44woody
12-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Frank 46 I have lubed and sized many thousands of bullets on a star I used to have a rcbs I spent more time cleaning the lube of the base of the bullets than I did lubeing them it probly was me and not the michine that was the problen I got a star and have not regreted it ever it is a far better luber than any other in my opinion:castmine: 44Woody

Springfield
12-08-2006, 12:27 PM
If you mostly experiment and don't do more than 50 bullets at a time then a Star may not be for you. If you do any kind of volume then it is the BEST. I have 3. Used to have an RCBS and an old Lyman 45. After getting the Star I sold them both. If you load on a single stage press, and you have lots of time on your hands, then maybe you don't need a Star. But if you have a progressive press for loading then you are a Star kind of guy. I have a new one and 2 older ones, and they all work the same. So don't buy a used one on e-bay for more than maybe 125.00. Just get a new on from Magma Engineering. It won't be full of old lube that you have to fight to get out, it comes with a warranty, and it will be NEW.

dmbassking
12-09-2006, 02:01 AM
I agree with Springfield. I have an old unit i got used and it works great. I can size 500 boolits in a sitting no problem. Pass through sizing makes it a very fast unit and since you only have to handle the boolits once you can size as fast as you can drop them in (but watch your fingers, I learned that the hard way!)

Texasflyboy
12-09-2006, 02:15 AM
For pistol caliber bullets its hard to beat a Star.

For rifle, especially gas check cast bullets, I much prefer my SAECO luber sizer.

FISH4BUGS
12-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Ya got me on that H&G 99 mould on EBay. That makes us even for the H&G 237 I snaked YOU out of?
Donald

Texasflyboy
12-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Ya got me on that H&G 99 mould on EBay. That makes us even for the H&G 237 I snaked YOU out of?
Donald

LOL. Let's not keep track ok? Maybe in the future we can swap a few to round out our collections. I've wanted a 99 for years to complete my .30 cal collection.

You may safely bid now on the other one...:-D

Dale53
12-10-2006, 02:58 PM
I am a STAR man, that is for sure. I use one for all of my bulk pistol and revolver bullets. However, for long rifle bullets you may find the Star's limitations. My BPCR's will not lube my long (422 gr .40 caliber bullets). So, if they need sizing, I pan lube (use cake pans and lube hundreds at a time) then run them thru the Star or a Lee push thru die for final sizing.

I wouldn't be without my Star unless I was starving to death (and then I would try to "make a deal":mrgreen:).

I still keep my eyes open for a used Star and will purchase if I find it at a good price just to avoid having to change calibers.

With a Dillon 550B or other good progressive and a Star Sizer there is no reason to run out of ammo (also into the equation is a good Lee six cavity mould in the appropriate bullet type:mrgreen:.:Fire: :Fire: :Fire:)

Dale53

FISH4BUGS
12-11-2006, 10:01 AM
LOL. Let's not keep track ok? Maybe in the future we can swap a few to round out our collections. I've wanted a 99 for years to complete my .30 cal collection.

You may safely bid now on the other one...:-D

I don't keep score either. You win some and you lose some. I am always looking to swap and/or buy and/or sell H&G Moulds, and even some early Saecos and Cramers and Lymans. I am trying to shoot al of the bullets I cast with the H&G moulds.
I got the other 99 for about what you paid for the first one. But I wanted it!. It was described as being in great condition, so we will see.