PDA

View Full Version : When is enough enough?

Lizard333
04-05-2011, 02:39 PM
:?I currently have 800 lbs of clip on WW's and about 200 lbs of Stick on WW's. By my calculations I can make somewhere between 20,000 and 40,000 boolits with this amount, but I still can't stop looking for more. Is this wrong???? I keep heatring that the WW's are going away so I keep looking.

Anyone else have this problem and how much do you have lying around. My wife istarting to think I am nuts, maybe it's lead poising......:bigsmyl2:

southpaw
04-05-2011, 03:13 PM
I will have enough when I have it ALL. Actually I would keep looking just to make sure that I didn't miss any.

~2k lbs ww, 8-900 lino/mono, 5-600 pure. The wife knows I am nuts.

Jerry Jr.

white eagle
04-05-2011, 03:20 PM
when you can't pull the trigger anymore
then its time to quit looking

bumpo628
04-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Never!
My wife thinks I'm nuts too, btw.

shotman
04-05-2011, 03:59 PM
how much sex is too much ????? it may not be around long lead that is

runfiverun
04-06-2011, 12:55 AM
if i still have some left when i die i have enough, it's still gonna be good for someone else to use.
right now i have a 10 year supply at current use.
i'll live for 20 or more so i need double what i got.

imashooter2
04-06-2011, 07:10 AM
(number of rounds per year * average weight of bullet * number of years you expect to keep shooting) / 7000 = pounds of alloy required

(5,000 per year * 200 grains average * 20 years) / 7000 = ~ 2,857 pounds of alloy

So, how much do you shoot and how long do you expect to keep doing so?

Hickory
04-06-2011, 07:24 AM
1000lb
is a good start.
Don't stop or slow down.:cbpour:

selmerfan
04-06-2011, 08:58 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=112092

bobthenailer
04-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Money or PB alloys , you cant have to much in either stash.

Hardcast416taylor
04-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Sorta reminds me of people that win mega millions on lotto games. Then they just keep on working at their same job that they could have retired from several years earlier. When is too much money or lead not enough to see you through?Robert

megafatcat
04-06-2011, 10:21 AM
When I have enough for the great grandkids and their friends to learn shooting, become proficient, and practice all their lives. Besides, scrounging lead is fun. A little twisted, but fun.

Doby45
04-06-2011, 10:40 AM
That is just a silly question. My wife asked me that when I told her I had approx 1,000lbs. She was like "Well I guess you got enough and you can call that guy at the dealership and tell him you don't need those buckets of WWs anymore." I just looked at her like she had just ripped a huge fart. Needless to say, she got the point.

Springfield
04-06-2011, 10:41 AM
OK, so the kids are 7 and 9, and I am 55. They will start Cowboy shooting soon. So assuming they shoot with me twice a month for the next 10 years and then get out of it due to going to college or someting, and we all shoot 200 grain 44-40/45 Colt. Lessee, 200 grains X 100 bullets x 4 people x twice a month x 10 years + 2742.85 lbs. I've only gto 4600 lbs ingoted so far, so I guess I'l keep looking!

04-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Have no idea how much I have as it is in 4, no 5 piles plus nearly 50 batteries. And yes, my wife thinks I am a bit "off center" also. What really got her upset was when she stumped her toe on a 1400 rd box of ammo I had not stacked yet. It did not give very much--but her poor toe did. She still grumbles about that one. What would she have said over a stack of ingots--better not think about that one--lol. Have a bud who melted battery lead with his dad as a kid and he showed me how to do it safely. Nothing to it after draining, washing, and decasing--and washing in a base solution(baking soda works fine) until it stops bubbling. Dry then melt and you have good Pb.

mold maker
04-06-2011, 11:54 AM
My wife ask me that same dumb question, back about 1966, and 3 tons ago.(plus what I've shot)
When ya can't get anymore, I'll still be looking. Finding is like the 10 X.
Come to think I haven't picked up this weeks supply.
See Ya after while ;>)

Defcon-One
04-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Lizard33:

I think you have enough. Better stop now so that I can catch up! Especially if your the guy who always beats me to my secret suppliers by a day or so. Drives me nuts, all empty drums!

Seriously, I only have about 600 lbs, some COWW, some SOWW and some Linotype. I imagine I will keep going until I break 1000 lbs., then slow down a bit. Probably can't have too much as it sells easily and trades well too. Kind of like heavy money!

Note to -06:

I'd avoid melting batteries for lead. Everything that I have read says you're getting into stuff that you don't want to mess with. Take the batteries to a scrap yard and trade them for Wheel Weights! It is not worth the risk. I know your friend did it way back when with his dad, but batteries have come a long way since then. Lots of metals you should be avoiding in them. (Calcium and Strontium come to mind.) It's probably not the best lead for casting, either!

Just a heads-up.

DC-1

eldoradolee
04-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Wrong,wrong,wrong.There is way to much "HOARDING" these day's.You guy's with access to lead,really hurt those of us that have to buy it.So keep on bragging.

canyon-ghost
04-06-2011, 08:14 PM
A simpler way to look at the math, if a bullet is 1/2 ounce, then 32 bullets to a pound. Most of us can shoot up 100 (3 pounds) in an afternoon or maybe even more. They make pickups in the half-ton variety for a reason!

Ron

bumpo628
04-06-2011, 08:57 PM
That's a good point about selling the batteries. It's a lot of work cutting up those things.
You could probably get more lead from the money you'll get than you'll get from smelting them.
I only got about 4 lbs of lead from car battery that weighed over 30 lbs. If you can get $4 or $5 each, then you can buy pre smelted ingots here and save yourself all the work.

Longwood
04-06-2011, 09:03 PM
The way I see it is I am going to salvage as much as I can. If I never use it, so be it, there is a good chance someone else may benefit from it.

David LaPell
04-06-2011, 09:35 PM
how much sex is too much ????? it may not be around long lead that is

Gives new meaning to the term lead in your pencil doesn't it?

*Paladin*
04-07-2011, 06:26 AM
I'm actually getting pretty close to "good" on lead. I've got only 1400lbs, but I always shoot into a backstop, so I almost always come home from shooting with more lead than I fired. I just sift out the dirt after shooting.

Armorer
04-07-2011, 06:56 AM
I always shoot into a backstop, so I almost always come home from shooting with more lead than I fired. I just sift out the dirt after shooting.

Someday I'm gonna have a gig like that! Right now all of my fired boolits get donated to the berm at my local range.

Armorer

fredj338
04-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Figure lead ww are gone in 2-3 years from now, about the life of a set of tires. The nationwide ban of lead ww will be in effect soon, if not, the manuf aren't going to make diff ww for diff states & the biggest user, Kalif, banned them one year ago.
Me, I don't actively look, but always ask when in a shop or job site or where ever lead products can be had. Get what you can where you can. It doesn't go bad & stores in a small space. I have maybe 1500# of diff alloys, I will always get more when I can. I took 50# out of my range berm last weekend in about 15min.:lovebooli

Defcon-One
04-07-2011, 07:56 PM
That's a good point about selling the batteries. It's a lot of work cutting up those things.
You could probably get more lead from the money you'll get than you'll get from smelting them.
I only got about 4 lbs of lead from car battery that weighed over 30 lbs. If you can get $4 or $5 each, then you can buy pre smelted ingots here and save yourself all the work.

Yep,

My local tire shop owner gave me a bucket of 28 pounds of wheel weights. He would not take any money. The next time I went by, I gave him two car batteries that I had out by the garage as a thanks. His face lit up and he said "Thanks, I can get $10 each for them at the scrap yard." That's $20 for the lead, which probably has bad stuff in it, plus all the electrolyte which they also recycle.

I hope he has more wheel weights for me next time. I think that I've already paid for them!

DC-1

chambers
04-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Lead is like guns, you can never have too many!!!!

rugerglocker
04-08-2011, 12:40 AM
I took 50# out of my range berm last weekend in about 15min.:lovebooli

How did you do that? Dig'n and sift'n or just pickin em up off the ground? I pick off the top layer and can never get that much in that short of a time. Maybe not enough shooters at my range.

aussie460mag
04-09-2011, 06:43 AM
my wife thinks i'm already nuts and I only have 120kgs (264lb?) of ww i thought of slowing down but it is an obsession, and you guys have pointed out that i have a long way to catch up!!

fredj338
04-09-2011, 02:03 PM
How did you do that? Dig'n and sift'n or just pickin em up off the ground? I pick off the top layer and can never get that much in that short of a time. Maybe not enough shooters at my range.
It's a private club range, so I use a sifter & bucket & shovel off the top 4-5" of dirt & sift it. I always repair the berm before I leave. The limiting factor is the bucket & how much wt you want to tote 50yds back to the truck! The bucket weighed 70#, after rocks & jackets, about 50# of useable alloy.:mrgreen:

120kgs (264lb?) of ww
That's only 9200 200gr/45s, not nearly enough.:lovebooli

man.electric
04-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Right now all of my fired boolits get donated to the berm at my local range.

Armorer

The county runs our range and I know that groups can rent the range and close it for private functions. There is about 15 years of lead since the last berm remodel out there and I am considering renting the range and bringing in my back hoe and a cement mixer and going to town with a couple of buddies. With a little sweat and luck there should be a few tons laying in in them there hills. :castmine:

fredj338
04-12-2011, 03:12 PM
The county runs our range and I know that groups can rent the range and close it for private functions. There is about 15 years of lead since the last berm remodel out there and I am considering renting the range and bringing in my back hoe and a cement mixer and going to town with a couple of buddies. With a little sweat and luck there should be a few tons laying in in them there hills. :castmine:
If the range fee isn't oo high, that coudl certianly work. Not sure you need a backhoe though, most bullets are within 12 depth of the soil.

mold maker
04-12-2011, 04:04 PM
WRONG !!!!!
Nobody hunted and took pizzas to my sources for me. Nobody sweat ed over the turkey fryer, but me. I spent the time and labor to obtain and refine it. I earned every ingot of it, the hard way.
When I need primers or powder, I trade lead for them.
I have warned for many years that freebie lead was going to disappear.
It's the old aint and grasshopper tale, all over again.
So it ain't hoarding, its being smart.
Now if ya really need some, I could be persuaded to share.

By the way, I got almost 300lbs today at a salvage yard thats 65 miles from home. The price was .60/lb for lead pipe and sheet , and .40/lb for WWs.

Wrong,wrong,wrong.There is way to much "HOARDING" these day's.You guy's with access to lead,really hurt those of us that have to buy it.So keep on bragging.

eldoradolee
04-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Mold Maker.
How much sheet lead would you like to part with?
hvrcleemimi@hotmail.com

garym1a2
04-12-2011, 09:22 PM
You people with more than a thousand pounds should feel bad about hogging all the lead. If it helps you sleep better at night you can send me your extra amounts and I will put it to good use. I only have about 500 pounds of lead and 200 pounds of 63/37 solder and need more lead to use up my solder.

imashooter2
04-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Huh! How bad do you feel about hogging up all that solder? :rolleyes:

11B-101ABN
04-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Having too much lead - and - getting thrown OUT of jail, I don't see either scenario happening to me.

caillouetr9981
04-14-2011, 02:36 AM
A more serious question:

DO YOU EVER WANT TO RISK RUNNING OUT OF LEAD AND/OR BULLETS???

However, while gathering the WWs is very important, turning them into usable bullets is more important.

How many bullets is enough....?

BTW - PLEASE stay away from using batteries. Not only will you be unsure of the mix you get (and probably won't ever be able to duplicate it again), there are way too many substances in batteries that atomize when melted and reek havoc with your lungs, liver, kidneys, etc. - even with superb ventillation (some of these substances, when atomized, can be absorbed directly through your skin)!

Reggie

:?I currently have 800 lbs of clip on WW's and about 200 lbs of Stick on WW's. By my calculations I can make somewhere between 20,000 and 40,000 boolits with this amount, but I still can't stop looking for more. Is this wrong???? I keep heatring that the WW's are going away so I keep looking.

Anyone else have this problem and how much do you have lying around. My wife istarting to think I am nuts, maybe it's lead poising......:bigsmyl2:

bigjake
04-14-2011, 07:42 AM
We have 235 lbs of WW ingots that we hunted down one at a time at the local DIY junk yard.

man.electric
04-14-2011, 12:59 PM
If the range fee isn't oo high, that coudl certianly work. Not sure you need a backhoe though, most bullets are within 12 depth of the soil.

There are access roads to get to the berms that usually are locked, but the keys are given out to parties that rent the range. I figure the backhoe will make hauling lead from the 25, 50, 100, and 200 yard ranges easier and I own the machine so I might as well work smarter.

Beagler
04-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Gota watch out what type of batteries you cut up. I'm a Maint/Mechanic for deka battery and the diff sulf. acids they use can go from just burning you to watch out don't even think about lookin at it. Your AGM battery grids have very high amounts of tin in them. Alot of the deep cycles anywhere from 4 to 6 percent antimony. Your automative batts the grid alloy is usually 99% pure with just a touch of sliver and cal. Gel batts have a little more cal. in them. Now your UPS (stationary back up batts.) Have really high amounts of cal. very dirty lead in our 16,000 pound pots. most batt. internal straps and posts are antimony lead. We get alot of the alloys premade from Doe Run, Nova PB, and smelt alot of our own on site.

No mater what kind of casting you do can never stop scrounging for more!!!!!!

Gunfixer
04-14-2011, 09:52 PM
I'll know I have enough when my pile shifts the earths orbit

Ole
04-14-2011, 10:28 PM
I won't turn it down if the price is right, but I think I have "about" enough.

I'd sure hate to have to move it all. :mrgreen:

imashooter2
04-15-2011, 07:37 AM
I'd sure hate to have to move it all. :mrgreen:

And let the people say "AMEN!" 8-)

Doby45
04-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Amen brother!!!!

Link23
04-15-2011, 07:31 PM
wow i feel left out i only have about 120 pounds of wheel weights and thats it...and my 44 mag eats them up with only 22 rounds a pound

Jailer
04-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Is it wrong I find myself wanting a bullet trap so I can capture and re use my rounds?

Any more I find myself cringing at all the lead I'm wasting by shooting them into the backstop and not being able to recover and re use them.

Is it even more wrong that I have about a 1700lb stash of ingots and I still feel this way?

Lizard333
04-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Sounds completely sain to me. Our significant others....... They may disagree.

nanuk
04-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Lead Poisoning...

L Ross
04-28-2011, 08:54 PM
I had to move a portion of the stash last Fall. I used a tractor and pallet forks, still took three trips and I'm sure it is only one third of the total. Been accumulating for 36 years and I adopted the rule of Dean Grinnell, if it was vaguely plumbous I took it. I'm sure some EPA super fund satellite has my coordinates as a glowing dot on a map.

Duke

shotstring
04-28-2011, 09:29 PM
I am one of those unfortunates that does actually have to move his lead supply to a home several states away. This has caused me to stop collecting ww and stopping by the dump, but I'm not happy about it. Moving what I have is already going to be a nightmare.

I have always tried to match my supply of tin and linotype with proper amounts of lead - always seem to have too much of one and not enough of the other - so I have to keep collecting what I am short of. Till now, that is. :violin:

Huntducks
04-28-2011, 09:37 PM
I have enought well over 30,000 cast and factory Boolits 1000 lb of ingots from pure lead WW lino #2 lyman and 50/50 solder and these 3 barrels that I have not touched 2 full of lead and 1 nothing but WW.

On monday I got a keel full of shot ($100) from a 55' sail boat ea bucket weighted in about 130lb and there was 9 buckets looks like #6's 7.5 and 8's all mixed the doves crows and pigeons won;t know the diff.

I will still buy but at only what I want to pay:grin:

The older I get the less I need the more I hoard.....

AF FAL
05-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Hey all,

I am looking at swaging. My range has a water trap in the pistol lanes, and we can have all the spent bullets we care to carry. I figured melting that stuff down would be good for making free cores. Also thought I could sell some to other members to donate somemoney back to the range, it is a private range maintained by the membership after all.

Anyway, I planned to pick up a coleman or something at a yard sale and a cheap stainless saucepan for melting it down to get the copper and major mess out of it, although it should be pretty clean. Figured this would allow me to ladle any **** off the top as well.

I need help with a good furnace to get though for using to cast the cores themselves. Kinda prefer a bottom pour with good capacity, reasonable price. Any suggestions and places to get one?

imashooter2
05-01-2011, 07:19 AM
The Lee 20 pounders are the value leader in bottom pour pots. Any mail order house will have one.

Lizard333
05-01-2011, 09:13 AM
If you can find a turkey fryer used they work really well at heating up your pot and don't take a whole lot of time. You just have to make sure it doesn't get to hot, especially if you don't sort your WW's.

bslim
05-02-2011, 10:20 AM
When you read about all of the locations that classify lead WW's as a hazardous material, the fact that lead WW's are not manufactured today and an average set of tires may last 3 years, it's obvious in a very short time we won't be going to the local tire shop to pick up anymore 5 gal buckets. How much is enough? All I can get my hands on, and then some.

a.squibload
05-12-2011, 03:36 AM
AF FAL, sounds like I'm near you, will PM.

Linepipe
05-12-2011, 08:30 AM
I can buy the shortage line of thought. We have seen primers almost totally dry up too, but fir different reasons. Then we saw the backdoor approach last year with the EPA trying to outlaw lead in bullets. And don't forget the goofball notion of unique numbers on the bases of bullets (California). Primers have lead so I figure somehow that will make an appearance.

All that to say that it appears the shooting sports are being regulated out of existence just like tobacco. Especially the more "antique" versions that many here enjoy. If that happens, what then? Seriously.

I have not joined a gun club because I can easily see a scenario where the EPA says "environmental disaster!" and the members are all bankrupted in a $x million dollar cleanup. Sad but in this day and age I can see it happening. You ought to see what they do to little guys in the oil industry over small spills that are easily cleaned with minimal fuss. He'll, they are trying to regulate carbon dioxide, and lead is much more evil [smilie=b:

Fredx10sen
05-12-2011, 09:13 AM
I have enought well over 30,000 cast and factory Boolits 1000 lb of ingots from pure lead WW lino #2 lyman and 50/50 solder and these 3 barrels that I have not touched 2 full of lead and 1 nothing but WW.

On monday I got a keel full of shot ($100) from a 55' sail boat ea bucket weighted in about 130lb and there was 9 buckets looks like #6's 7.5 and 8's all mixed the doves crows and pigeons won;t know the diff.

I will still buy but at only what I want to pay:grin:

The older I get the less I need the more I hoard.....

My Brother worked at Balboa Boat Yard for years down there in Southern Cal. I never thought to ask him about lead in the keels. Probably missed a real opportunity all those years. Bummer :cry:

bowfin
05-12-2011, 11:04 AM
When is too much money or lead not enough to see you through?

I keep thinking of a story we read at the homeless shelter where I do chapel. It ended like this:

"But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?"

Yes, someone will get your lead and use it, but the more important question is who (or what) got your time on this earth? Some guy at the junkyard? A five gallon bucket of wheelweights?

To put that into context, don't look as this question as a "this much lead vs. this much more lead", but "How are you going to spend the time you have left?"

Money comes and goes, lead comes and goes, but time just goes. I have more lead than I have time to use it, so I need to quit nosing around junkyards and tire shops and not waste that time for something that will sit in a pile.

However, I can't speak for anybody else's wants and needs. Everybody needs to keep perspective is all I am saying.

Linepipe
05-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Bowfin, well said.

altheating
05-12-2011, 11:53 AM
600 lbs is enough for this this week, but may not be enough next week. Keep on scrounging!

05-12-2011, 12:17 PM
I keep thinking of a story we read at the homeless shelter where I do chapel. It ended like this:

"But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?"

Yes, someone will get your lead and use it, but the more important question is who (or what) got your time on this earth? Some guy at the junkyard? A five gallon bucket of wheelweights?

To put that into context, don't look as this question as a "this much lead vs. this much more lead", but "How are you going to spend the time you have left?"

Money comes and goes, lead comes and goes, but time just goes. I have more lead than I have time to use it, so I need to quit nosing around junkyards and tire shops and not waste that time for something that will sit in a pile.

However, I can't speak for anybody else's wants and needs. Everybody needs to keep perspective is all I am saying.

Matthew?

Linepipe
05-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Luke, chapter 12 verses 13-21. V 21 is important.

Thanks for the goad bowfin.

mold maker
05-12-2011, 01:30 PM
When my toes are turned perminately up and my eyes closed, I will be considered as having had enough. Until then I ain't listening to anybody, that poo poos my supply. I've been assembling my supply for over 40 years, and many of those who dis me over it, also want me to share.

Matt_G
05-12-2011, 06:06 PM
I've been assembling my supply for over 40 years, and many of those who dis me over it, also want me to share.
Funny how that works, isn't it? :rolleyes:

fredj338
05-13-2011, 07:55 PM

True with most things in life. When you get to the end, you look back & say what? I made a ton of money, I collected a ton of stuff, raised a good family or what? It's why work has never been my life but what I do to have a life. If part of that is spent shooting or reloading, casting or scrounging metal, so be it.:drinks:
I had an uncle, worked 12-7, had no hobbies. At that point you have to ask yourself, why am I doing this? Some guys ski, some gamble, chase women, reload, cast bullets or scrounge alloy. Everyone needs a hobby or two. It's what gets most of us through the work part of our lives, at least IMO.

chambers
05-13-2011, 08:34 PM
I not have close to 2 ton, it will never be enough. I will buy all the WW I can buy as they will be extend soon.

a.squibload
05-14-2011, 05:36 AM
...Everyone needs a hobby or two. It's what gets most of us through the work part of our lives, at least IMO.

While driving around (working) today I took a few minutes to stop at a couple of tire shops.
Got 102 lbs of truck WWs at one of 'em. For free!
Made my day!
I may or may not use 'em all up, but if I get the chance to go shootin' I'll have some boolits.

Harter66
05-16-2011, 04:14 PM
I guess I'm lucky to have exclusive "rights" to the co.tire shop, and other assigned duties that sent me to the county range where the co.keeps up the back boards,sometimes with trap boxes installed. I get about 60#/month from the tire shop,over 2 years probably 600# from the box traps. I still check on the sanddune ranges from time to time and as I get better tools I get more faster. I got all of mine back and another 20-30# yesterday.

I'm hovering around a ton,today,not enough time lately to scrounge much.
Id like to double that and then float but as things i'd best to triple or even quad that.

bslim
05-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Last week was a good one. I visited a truck wrecking yard last month and asked for WW's. I was told they had some but were unsure of the price they would have to have for them. I said fine and left them my phone number. Got a call from them, $.27/ lb and they had 650 lbs. Later that week a buddy of mine who lives an hour south of me, called and told me there was a mom and pop salvage outfit in his local that had WW's. I called and netted another 525 lbs. @ $.35/lb. Salvage yards over here sell lead ( doesn't matter what kind ) at $1.24 / lb. so I figure I didn't do all that bad. I've smelted 3 pails so far with 5 more to go. The Mom & Pop operation said they would have another 500 lbs. next month waiting for me. Love it when things come together.

a.squibload
05-17-2011, 03:52 AM
Received a 70 lb box in the mail today, clean ingots of range lead from swappin & sellin forum.
Had to pay for 'em but it's the easiest way to collect lead!
Once in a while I treat myself, getting different types of lead to round out the stash.

AF FAL
05-17-2011, 03:59 AM
I gotta get home so I can catch up!

iwottopq
05-17-2011, 05:39 AM
Hello to all.
I have only 200 lb of clip on WW, 100 lb of stick on WW and 100 lb of lead and...my wife force me to sleep in the...dog's bed!!!
The tire repairers are terrified when see me!!!
Ciao
Nino

rlw0489
05-17-2011, 01:28 PM
600 lbs in 1 lb ingots
300 lbs in 1/2 lb ingots.

grullaguy
05-19-2011, 11:53 AM
I just started collecting lead for casting a few months ago. Struck out in the search for wheel weights. None of the garages or tire shops would let any go,.. even for cash. Then I noticed that there was a lot of lead laying in the open at the local range. I was not sure if I was allowed to pick it up so I would just fill my pockets when I was checking targets. Then I started, arriving at dawn before anyone else arrived and picking up loose stuff and putting it in a margarine container. This was much better as I would ride my bike the 10 Kms uphill get 3 or 4 pounds of lead and then enjoy the coast back home.
Yesterday I smelted the last scrounged bullets into ingots and weighed my haul. 15 pounds, enough to keep me in bullets for some time.
This morning, I woke at 3:30, thinking about all the lead just laying on the ground waiting to be picked up. There was no going back to sleep, so off I went on my bike into the mountains again. Yes, it is a sickness, but at today's prices, a profitable one.

blackbike
09-13-2011, 11:05 AM
The more lead I scrong the more I cast, the more I cast the more I load the more I load the more I shoot the more I shoot the more emty brass I got. Its a vicious circle. My wife left a long time ago. Now I can do what ever I want and she don`t say a word to me.

Sonnypie
09-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Money or PB alloys , you cant have to much in either stash.

I think the Pb is more useful.
You can shoot a bunch of politicians and bankers with lead.
But if you throw money at them they like it.

Chit, I'm a slacker!
I only have around 150 pounds all total. Bagged boolits, and raw material.
Dang!

michiganvet
09-13-2011, 04:03 PM
300# ww ingots
couple hundred# 1/10 ingots
500-600# #2 ingots
1000#+ Pb ingots
@ 50# lead pipe & plumbers rounds
still accept any that comes my way
almost ideal casting weather here now

Wally
09-13-2011, 04:10 PM
300# ww ingots
couple hundred# 1/10 ingots
500-600# #2 ingots
1000#+ Pb ingots
@ 50# lead pipe & plumbers rounds
still accept any that comes my way
almost ideal casting weather here now

I'm formally from Central Wisconsin---now stuck in Illinois...

As you've hoarded so much dangerous Lead I'm afraid that you qualify for the new Obama Hoarders Tax...however you can escape the very serious ramifications if you donate some of your hoard to me...about half should be just enough...

Nueces
09-13-2011, 07:01 PM
My idea is to have enough to last and leave sufficient to weigh me down before going into the lake, so I won't float up under someone's prom outing.

I'm just thoughtful that way.

Mark

fredj338
09-13-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm formally from Central Wisconsin---now stuck in Illinois...

As you've hoarded so much dangerous Lead I'm afraid that you qualify for the new Obama Hoarders Tax...however you can escape the very serious ramifications if you donate some of your hoard to me...about half should be just enough...

HA! Not to mention the fines from the EPA for illegally storing hazerdous waste! Man I will be glad when:takinWiz:PBO & his thugs are gone.

10 ga
09-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Have bout 14C in ingots, probably 70 % is COWWs, balance is SOWW, Iron pipe joints, cable sheathing, vent pipes, and old shower basins. Then there is the 2 ingots that are 50#@ from a deceased neighbor who did gutter work. Then a 180# sailboat ballast keel. 300# of sheet lead traded at the scrap yard. And a assorted collection of commercial ingots from scrap yard and yard sales bout 50#. Then my hoard of "ore" that is due for smelting. That is: a 5 gal. bucket of battery cable ends, 2 paint buckets 1 gal@ full of stained glass solder dripings and clipings, 4 buckets at 5 gal@ of COWWs, 4 buckest at 1 gal@ of SOWWs, 3 gal bucket of iron pipe joint rings, bout 50 muffin pan ingot type decoy weights, and a 3 gal bucket and a small battery box full of culled out fishing sinkers that are not useable. and a coil of lead sheathed copper 3 wires that is 63#, paid $.50 standard for that at the scrap yard cause it was "lead". So I have a bunch of Ingots, sheet lead, "ore", and then a bout 100# of good fishing sinkers and over 200# of net weight leads. Guess I've passed last year goal of a cache of 2K. With cool weather coming I'm gonna smelt and store ingots, cast up some ML boolits and scrounge more lead. The scrounging, hoarding, smelting, casting, shooting, trading, selling, is kinda compulsive. Besides I can't think of a more fun way to finance those project guns. Best to all, 10 ga

avogunner
09-14-2011, 09:31 AM
How much is enough? All I could ever use + 1 lb!

mold maker
09-14-2011, 01:16 PM
If ya have enough, call the undertaker. I don't think the term enough, and lead, can be used in the same sentence.
I don't even check to see what I have, I NEED more.

koehlerrk
09-18-2011, 12:50 AM
Well, I'm just getting started in this game. So far, I have about #150 of ingots of different varieties, and two five-gallon buckets of range lead that's waiting for smelting, should be about #100 of soft-stuff when I get them processed.

This also doesn't count the lead that's already been cast into boolits, probably another 40-50 pounds there. So, call it just under 300 pounds total.

I keep picking up lead whenever I find it. Why, because it's simple, easy, and it doesn't ever go bad, so rotating stock isn't an issue.

The only problem i can see with lead is it's contagious. My son is starting to show an interest in collecting and casting it. He already loves shooting it. Not bad for a 10 year old.

metweezer
09-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Lizard333, You definitely have more than enough. I'll PM you my address. :bigsmyl2:

VA Shooter
09-21-2011, 09:25 AM
My auto shop at work just ordered some ww that are not lead shop supervisor told me that the lead that they have is the last that he is going to use. SOOO!!! I asked him when the new stuff comes in he should give me the lead (to help the enviorment) he agreed So it looks like that ww lead is being phased out GET ALL YOU CAN

cbrick
09-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Since my dog feels that he has never had nearly enough petting he really has no idea how much that would be.

Just like lead and me, I've never had that much so how could I possibly know how much that might be?

Rick

Sonnypie
09-21-2011, 10:43 AM
My auto shop at work just ordered some ww that are not lead shop supervisor told me that the lead that they have is the last that he is going to use. SOOO!!! I asked him when the new stuff comes in he should give me the lead (to help the enviorment) he agreed So it looks like that ww lead is being phased out GET ALL YOU CAN

I'm very sure it is (being phased out).
When they ban the use of it is when things will get bad for casters.
Then what?

VA Shooter
09-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Yea Sonnypie just went Firestone to see if I could get some lead got a big NO!! the guy said that major tire stores have a contract with Interstate Batteries they use the lead in new batteries and they keep record of how many ww they change per tire and so on. The Interstate rep told him that they are doing research on replacing lead in batteries. Hope this not true

cbrick
09-21-2011, 04:11 PM
The Interstate rep told him that they are doing research on replacing lead in batteries. Hope this not true

I hope it is true, then maybe Interstate batteries will leave my WW's alone. It's the same story on the left coast, forget any tire shop that has an Interstate bateries sign, can't beg a single weight from them. Interstate contracts with them for the used weights.

Rick