PDA

View Full Version : Advice on used RCBS sizer?

Canuck Bob
04-05-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm slowly collecting cheap gear. A RCBS sizer has been offered and I'm hoping for pictures soon. It has a welded handle, I understand that is a weak link. What questions should I ask and what should I look for?

I would just stick with Lee push through but the lubing function interests me. It appears that grease groove and GC's are in my future.

Canuck Bob
04-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Here are is the pic is it complete?

utk
04-06-2011, 04:09 PM
That is a LAM, the old model. (The present one is LAM 2).
Go to RCBS website and download the instructions, an exploded drawing and parts list. (Both LAM versions can be found).

Canuck Bob
04-06-2011, 05:01 PM
From the instructions it looks reasonably complete. The deal is contingent on an inspection of the unit and I'll take along the exploded drawing with me.

Are these older units ok?

utk
04-06-2011, 05:27 PM
I have the old one, same as yours. Haven't used it much but I think it works fine.

The main differences are that the old one has a ratchet lube handle and the LAM2 has a T-bar arrangement instead. (Some people seem to prefer the ratchet handle and rebuild their LAM2's).

Also the lube plunger screw is different, in the old model it goes through the base and the reservoir cap is a loose fit on top of the lube reservoir. In the LAM2, the lubescrew doesn't go through the base. Instead it is locked into the top cap which is threaded into the reservoir. This could be an improvement, it can never leak lube from the base.
If this is a problem with the old model I don't know, never heard of it. Some old Lymans of a similar construction have sometimes been reported to leak.

Edit: Adjustment screw N has quite a coarse thread. And the hole through it is large which results in thin material. It will break if you tighten lock nut M too much. Which had happened to mine. But RCBS sent me a replacement screw, free of charge.