PDA

View Full Version : resizing photos

krag35
12-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Sometime back, someone posted an online source for resizing photos so they can be posted. I lost my link to it in a recent computer crash. Would someone please repost it.
TIA
krag35

imashooter2
12-08-2006, 12:20 AM
http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

krag35
12-08-2006, 12:36 AM
Thanks, now to see if it worked :-)

Ranch Dog
12-08-2006, 10:00 AM
One of the best photo editors I've ever used is a shareware program called IRFANVIEW (http://www.irfanview.com/). It will do ANYTHING you want done and is easy to use. I really like the screen-shot feature.

C A Plater
12-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Another free one is ImageMagick. It is a command line program but it runs on just about any computer from a Windows NT4 - XP, Mac and Linux.

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php

shooter2
12-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Do you have office picture manager on your computer?

Try Picasa2 from Google. Free and works great.

dragonrider
12-08-2006, 12:23 PM
I use photobucket and the pics are automaticaly resized.

hydraulic
12-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Over there on the counter sits the Kodak I bought from Walmart because the clerk absolutely guaranteed I could post pictures on CAST BULLETS. That was six months ago. I have corraled every computer geek in town, all my kids, & the local college instructor and none of us can make it work. Too bad....I have some really neat pictures to share. Anyway, I think they are neat.

C A Plater
12-09-2006, 01:46 AM
Over there on the counter sits the Kodak I bought from Walmart because the clerk absolutely guaranteed I could post pictures on CAST BULLETS. That was six months ago. I have corraled every computer geek in town, all my kids, & the local college instructor and none of us can make it work. Too bad....I have some really neat pictures to share. Anyway, I think they are neat.

Sounds like maybe a format problem. What is the extension on the picture files? FlashPix (*.fpx), PhotoCD (*.pcd) or RAW image (*.dcr, *.tif)? If it is any of these formats, then it can be converted to a JPG or PNG format that can be uploaded.

sundog
12-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Hydraulic, my wife has a Kodak, and seems to do okay. She uses the Kodak software and manipulates and prints pics. I don't recall using any of hers pics for the web, but I may have. What specifically is the problem? sundog

dragonrider
12-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Hydraulic,
Are you able to download pics from camera to computer?

hydraulic
12-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I can get the pictures into the computer in a "my pictures" file. I just can't get them out.

CAPLATER: Huh?
Sundog: Yeah, I can print pictures from the computer, but that's all.

drinks
12-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Hydraulic;
To get pictures on the forum, you need to resize them to less than 100K, use the editor program that came with the software for your camera, then when you want to post, go below the quick reply frame and click on the advanced button, then after composing the reply or message. scroll down to manage attachments and follow the instructions.

KYCaster
12-10-2006, 01:31 AM
Hydraulic: I'll tell you what I've found after a lot of trial and error(s) and a lot of frustration. I can't always make it work and still don't know why.

In the Kodak software, choose TOOLS from the tool bar at the top, then PREFERENCES then FILE ASSOCIATION. Here you'll find the file types you can save your pics with. Check the ones you want to use. I don't know the difference between JPG, BMP, TIF and GIF (might be why I still have trouble). I checked them all.
Somebody here can probably tell us which format will work best....anybody?

To post the pic, you'll need to know the album name (the Kodak default is the date it was created, or you can name them when you download from the camera) and the pic's ID no. (eg. 000_0123).

To get the pic in your post, click on the paper clip icon to open the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS window and choose browse. Now you have the window where you can eventually find the pic. Choose the drive where the folder is located (mine's on my harddrive), then MY DOCUMENTS, then MY PICTURES, then KODAK PICTURES, then the ALBUM NAME, then finally the PIC ID NO.

That's all there is to it, simple huh? But, like I said, I can't always get it to work. Most of my problems are file size, and I haven't yet figured out how to get that done right.:roll:

You can use the same procedure to upload to a hosting site. That might work better, I don't know.

I hope this helps you, good luck.:drinks:

Jerry

Jon K
12-10-2006, 01:40 AM
Resize photos:

There are a lot of editing programs and software out there. I have found for everyday posting to this forum or others, it is easier for me not to edit and keep the file in my computer, or on a disk. Too much clutter, and once you resize you can't restore, so you have to keep the original.

The easiest way I've found to do this is to upload to photobucket, resize and post or send email. Let them keep those versions, til I don't want them and delete.

I only keep the original and special editing for prints. Those need to be large as possible for big prints. Email & Forum posts are restrictive in size.

Look for instructions for uploading and posting in a search here, it's easy and quick.

This is just my opinion, everyone has to make their own choice, and will have their own favoite method.

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon
:coffee: :castmine:

C A Plater
12-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I can get the pictures into the computer in a "my pictures" file. I just can't get them out.

CAPLATER: Huh?
Sundog: Yeah, I can print pictures from the computer, but that's all.

Sorry about that. I sometimes forget that computer concepts that are obvious to me because I do it for a living are not so for most others.

The pictures are stored somewhere on your computer as files. On a Windoze box it is probably in "My Pictures" but the Kodak software may hide it elsewhere. Wherever they are stored, they will have a file name and a three letter extension. The extension comes after the dot and helps to tell the computer what program to use to open the file. Kodak may save them in their own formats and would need to be converted to a standard one such as JPEG, a file with a .jpg extension or Portable Network Graphic format with a .png extension. Theses file extensions; .fpx, .pcd, .dcr, .tif are often associated with Kodak cameras. The Kodak software should let you save a picture in JPEG format and is probably in the File menu, Save As and there should be a something on the save dialog box that allows you to choose the format. If not, Irfanview for windows will be able to do that for you. Once a picture has been converted to a .jpg file, you will be able to upload it.

dragonrider
12-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Hydraulic
Go here, http://photobucket.com/ follow the directions and life with pics will be easy. No need to resize, just load them into an album you create, copy the "IMG" line and paste it into you post. It's too easy not to use.

drinks
12-10-2006, 05:57 PM
JPG is the best format for me.

hydraulic
12-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Thanks guys. I've saved all this info and when I get the Prof. from the college over here I'll have him read this.

CAPLATER: I opened the "my pictures" file and the File in the toolbar only has two choices; new and close.

Dragonrider: I can't get into the photobucket. They say my name is incorrect so I asked for my password and they said they would email it to me but they didn't.

Don't get old, guys.

C A Plater
12-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Ok, I know where you are at now. That was the windows explorer so what you want to do is select a picture and right-click it. It will pop up a menu and select Properties near the bottom of the list. That will open up a dialog box with a few tabs at the top. On the general tab, right below the name will be a file type line. If it says JPEG you should be able to upload them. I suspect it will say something else and if it does, download the free program Irfanview on Ranch Dogs post and install it. The you can start up the program and use it to convert to a JPEG format. You can test the result by opening up the JPEG file with your browser.

45nut
02-14-2007, 03:33 PM
The single biggest cause of pic problems seems to be using the camera supplied software. Completely un-needed software.
If your camera uses a removeable flash memory card you can completely bypass those hurdles by using a card reader...usually less than a $20.00

Take your pics,,remove the card..insert it into the card reader,,it will open the card same as viewing the contents as on your harddrive.

You can then simply go to photobucket or another pic hosting site,,,upload the pics directly from the card and get to posting the pictures using the url of the now hosted pic.

Scrounger
02-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Sounds good to me. How about some brands and model numbers?

454PB
02-14-2007, 05:52 PM
The last two digital cameras I've bought were amazingly simple. My computer (and XP version of Windows) is 5 years old. Rather than using the CD that came with these cameras, I simply plugged them into the USB port and turned them on. Even my old version of XP recognized the cameras and installed the drivers.

Most computers less than 2 years old come with card readers built in. If your's didn't, go to Wal*Mart or Staples and buy any that will read your type of memory card. The last one I bought was made by "smartdisk". It reads 4 different card formats and came with rechargeable batteries and charger for the camera, a mini tripod, a camera case, and several rewritable CD's. It was on sale for $20.

Scrounger
02-14-2007, 07:39 PM
454PB, can you expand on that description and how it is used? WalMart.com doesn't show that model aparently and the ones they do show doesn't seem to do what you did as I understand it. My computer ignorance, no doubt.

454PB
02-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Card readers are plugged into the USB port, and powered by the USB port.

Here's a link to the Wal*Mart selection:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&search_query=memory+card+reader&Continue.x=22&Continue.y=4&Continue=Find&ic=24_0

02-17-2007, 11:47 AM
If you are running Windows Xp operating system, all you have to do is load the picture onto your computer, right click on it with your mouse and select the resize option you want. Saves automatically. Easy.

Jon K
02-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Whichever editor you're using, just remember to make a duplicate- to resize, that way you always have the original. If not remember "Murphy's Law"

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon
:castmine:

Scrounger
02-17-2007, 12:53 PM
If you are running Windows Xp operating system, all you have to do is load the picture onto your computer, right click on it with your mouse and select the resize option you want. Saves automatically. Easy.

I have Windows XP Home and it does NOT give me that option. As far as I know, I have all the updates on it.

Oops! A little research informs me that option is part of an optional download called "Power Toys" that you can find by Googling "Power Toys".

454PB
02-17-2007, 05:25 PM
The "powertoy" one Scrounger found is quick and works well. However, Ranch Dog mentioned Irfanview, which no only resizes, but crops, does redeye and other basic editing, and converts from one format to another. It's the one I use the most.

Ron
02-19-2007, 09:26 PM
I use "CoffeeCupPixConvertor" from www.coffeecup.com. It is very easy to use and allows for reduction of photos for email, web sites etc. Just select the photos you want to reduce and click the way you will use them e.g. "email" and after that it is all automatic. Even leaves you with the original photo intact.

Maven
02-19-2007, 09:47 PM
All, This is going to sound odd coming from me, the photo-resizing idiot, but what 3855 wrote works with my Windows XP program. Here are the steps I took since I store my photos in the "My Pictures" folder:

1. Make a duplicate of the picture in question.

2. Go to "My Pictures" and right click on the pic. you want.

3. A menu (?) will drop down. Go to "Open With, select M'soft "Picture Manager."
and open it. Once there, go to "Edit Pictures" (top right of screen), select "Compress Pictures" and choose either documents, web-pages or e-mail messages.

That's all there is to it. And thanks to all who tried to teach me this: Sometimes it takes awhile for computer stuff to sink in.