PDA

View Full Version : Small Lyman/Ideal SC Sprueplates Needed

floodgate
12-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Guys:

I need to rebuild a number of older Lyman / Ideal moulds I have added to my "collection" over the past several years; I have a good stock of the various screws, set-screws and washers from the repair kits provided by Lyman, and I have several rebuild kits coming for the older and the newer (thick sprueplate) large-block versions, but Lyman is out-of-stock on the older, small SC block sprueplates. I sure would appreciate getting a few of these from those of you who may have them left-over from replacing them with the custom thicker ones, or from moulds that have been scrapped or converted to automatic casting machine use. Any repairable condition is OK, even bent or warped; name your price in a post here or a PM; or an e-mail to <floodgate at pacific dot net>. Sorry, but I am no longer selling any of my 100+ moulds - I have had to buy replacements for all too many I had foolishly let go. But I will LOAN moulds if anyone really needs one of the odder types.

For those of you who may not be "up" on the different Lyman-made (since about 1926), loose-block mould sets, the small, single-cavity blocks measure about 1-1/4" side-to-side, 1" front-to-back, and 1-3/8" top-to-bottom. For the larger blocks used for the large-caliber boolits (.45 is about the dividing line) in single cavity persuasion, and for all of the double-cavity moulds*, the dimensions are are 1-3/8" side-to-side, 1-1/4" front-to-back, and 1-1/2" high. The corresponding sprue-plates, along the short, straight side at the left in normal use, will measure 1" for the small, and about 1-1/4" for the large ones.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

floodgate

* A fellow mould-freak recently sent me a photo - regrettably, I cannot find it in the files recently transferred to my new iMac - of an old, pre-WW I Ideal mould with integral handles, with TWO .25-caliber cavities cut into the small-size blocks; they were so close together that the conical portions of the sprue-holes actually overlapped!

kenjuudo
12-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Email comming at ya.

jim

Red River Rick
12-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Floodgate:

Here is a picture of the spru cutters I mentioned earlier. The ones on the left are the originals and the ones on the right are replacements. I don't have any replacements for the Lyman large single cavity, I machined them all to fit the D/C molds, but I will make some for the large single right after the holiday season.

Regards,
Rick

floodgate
12-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Rick:

Very nice work! I'll get back to you after the holidays. Thanks.

Doug