PDA

View Full Version : My thought on my Hornady L-N-L

Hunter
12-07-2006, 10:53 PM
I have been reloading since about 1998 on a Hornady Lock and Load single stage (my first press) without any trouble. I did buy a Pro 7 about 5 years ago (from about 1977) that still works well but has began to show her age. I decided to get a new Lock and Load progressive as an upgrade. Though I really have had no trouble from the single stage, since I got into IDPA (and more needed practice) the single stage was really cutting into my free time.
The Lock-N-Load feature on the Hornady presses is really a time savor. Instead of threading the die into the press the die threads into a bushing in the press and once you get the die set like you want it locks it into the bushing (same as if locking it into the press) and with a 1/4 turn the die unlocks from the press (reminds me of the function of the bolt in a bolt action rifle) and removes. So when changing dies, once they are set up it is a matter of unlocking one die and locking in another.
The single stage is fast on depriming and priming as on the upstroke of the ram the case is resized and deprimed as an arm (in the ram) catches a primer from the primer feed tube and the case is primed on the down stroke. The other steps is what lead me to a new progressive.
I received the Progressive last month and have had the chance to get it together and load close to 1000 of .45 ACP with it.
Once it was set up it took a small amount of tweaking to get it up and running (really nothing hard if you follow the manual). It is suggested you clean the press before you begin to remove any packing grease and that is a good idea. Also to clean the insides of the primer tubes help with feeding primers.
The first thing I noticed was the press has 3 grease fittings serving the ram and linkage, pretty foreword thinking of the Hornady engineers if you ask me.
The new progressive also has the Lock-N-Load feature which would really speed up die changes. The case activated powder measure works by the case itself activation the measure (so no spilled powder if no case is present). The Hornady measure seems to meter all sorts of powder consistent. The shell plate is self indexing so double charges are less likely but the indexing is smooth enough not to spill powder as it goes to the next stage. I did add the Hornady Powder Cop die (it has a small ram in the die that contacts the powder charge in the case showing a correct or incorrect charge by volume). As the loaded case passes the last stage it is automatically dropped into a plastic catcher. Changing calibers or primer sizes really is not that bad and everything on the press is fully adjustable so if something does manage to get out of whack it is easily adjusted back in spec. The Hornady line is backed by a lifetime warrantee, that with my past experience with their reloading equipment I felt confident in buying the press. As with my other press I doubt if I will need the warrantee. There is a toll free customer service number so any problems that may arise you can get advice over the phone.
I do plan to add the automatic case feeder in time but I want to get used to the full operation of this press beforehand. I do believe this to be a safe press but as to me mistakes are made faster on a progressive than a single stage so I am taking no chances.
I have been more than pleased with all Hornady products I have used as have several of my shooting buddys that use then as well.
I do not know if I would suggest this or any progressive press as a first press as it took me a little while to grasp the operation. Though I like my Pro 7 there is much advancement of the new progressive in function. My father still uses his old Hornady single stage (going on 20+ years now) I think after he checked out my new press he might want to visit with more often.

LAH
12-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Thanks, good read..............Creeker

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Good review, your experiences echo my own with my LnL. You can also use a LnL bushing kit on both RCBS rock chuckers and Lee Classic Cast presses. If you shim them properly, the dies will interchange from the single stage to the progressive. Makes things really nice and extremely versatile.

Regards,

Dave

Hunter
12-09-2006, 04:19 AM
I have seen that kit Hornady makes to convert other presses to L-N-L. I am so pleased with my 3 presses I doubt if I would buy anything other than Hornady. They have always been more than fair with me.
As I posted in another thread that press was bought a few weeks before the "Get Loaded" promo began but I mentioned it to Kathy at customer service and she told me to send in the paperwork in anyway even though it was dated a few weeks before the promo began. Well I did and they did take care of me.

RugerFan
12-09-2006, 10:12 AM
I have the single-stage LnL and love it. I have bought numerous bushings so all my dies are ready for swapping with no fuss. Great system.