PDA

View Full Version : Which reloading stand?

MikeS
04-05-2011, 04:17 AM
Hi All.

I just bought my first 'modern' reloading press, a Smart Reloader single stage press (which looks sort of like a Lee, but made out of cast Steel). I've been using either a Lyman 310 tool, or a Lyman Tru-line Jr. press. Living in So. FL it gets hot, even in winter it can be too hot to hang out in the garage for any length of time, so setting up my reloading presses out there (my original plan) is out. I've used the True-line Jr press clamped on to my computer desk with some limited success, but when I try and do anything that requires a lot of strength, the whole desktop flexes, and I'm afraid I might break it!

I live with my mother (I moved back down here to help her take care of my father, he's dead a couple of years now, but I'm still here), and the only space that I can setup something where there's air conditioning is my 12'x12' bedroom. I don't have a lot of space, as I've got a computer desk setup, a stand for a portable air conditioner (so I can regulate how cool it is in here), a bed, etc. So, I'm looking into getting a portable reloading stand. I first looked at the Lee stand, and it looks nice, but it's designed for use while standing, or sitting on a high chair, not sitting at a desk type chair. Then I saw the Frankfort Arsenal portable stand, and it's the right height, but built a bit on the cheap side. If I get the Frankfort stand, I would mount the Lee removable plate system to it so I could interchange between presses, and a lube sizer I hope to get sometime soon.

So what does anyone think? I'm kind of leaning toward the Lee, as it has a storage area beneath the top that can hold 2 of the bench plates when they're not being used. The only thing with the Lee other than that it's slightly too high is that they nickel & dime you to death. I mean the bins that mount to the sides are an extra, whereas the Frankfort unit comes with 2 bins. I read all the comments about both that are posted on Midway's site, and if I got the Frankfort I would probably add some weight to the base (maybe fill the bottom with concrete). Below are pictures of both (from Midway, where I'd probably buy either one from), the Frankfort on the left, and the Lee is on the right.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_177914d9acec34466a.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=448) http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_177914d9aceec29e11.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=449)

Cowboy T
04-05-2011, 04:26 AM
Here's another way. Mount your press to a piece of 2x6 board, and then C-clamp that 2x6 board to your computer desk. When you're done, just un-clamp the 2x6 and put your press away. No extra stand needed.

MikeS
04-05-2011, 05:59 AM
The only thing is even with a 2x6 I don't think the flakeboard the computer desk is made from would withstand FL resizing without breaking! I'm pretty sure a separate stand is the way to go with this. BTW, I think your videos are great, I've watched most of them if not all of them.

3006guns
04-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Just going by appearances (and little else) I think I'd favor the Lee. It's 'tripod' construction suggests strength and stability. I've had several shop tools mounted on single column stands like the Frankford Arsenal unit and they all seemed a bit "wiggly" unless bolted down. Hardly portable!

Again, just an observation based on a first glance!

WILCO
04-05-2011, 08:18 AM
I think I'd favor the Lee.

Me too. Many years ago, I started reloading on a shelf in the hallway closet of a small apartment.

Worked great till I was able to upgrade with a house purchase. Do a google search for closet reloading benches. That's how I found this link:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5116713/1

capreppy
04-05-2011, 09:22 AM
How thick is the "flakeboard"? Mine is a little more substantial at 1" thick. I built a small riser out of a 2x8 and it can handle sizing well. Sure there is some flex in the desk, but the riser takes most of it.

I reload in my home office which has a server cabinet and a few servers. Only place in my home that I can reload. We don't have basements in TX otherwise I'd be there.

jaguarxk120
04-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Take a look at the Harbor Freight grinder stand, it looks very similar to the FA stand. The thing about it is you will have to add a work top, section of 2x12x2 ft long should give you pleanty of work surface. That setup can be moved around so it's not in the way when not needed.

mdi
04-05-2011, 12:27 PM
For several years I used a B&D Workmate. 2x4 screwed to bottom of scrap countertop, press & vise bolted to top. Slightly lower than my dining room table so I sat in a reg. chair. Stable, and when I needed, I would take off the countertop/press and fold and stow. Now that I have a dedicated place to reload, I have a workmate to use for workmate stuff...

MattOrgan
04-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Go with the Midway. Doesn't require a concrete block hanging from it like the Lee. Read Lee's fine print. I've had a Midway since they came out. Simple light effective. When I am on the road I take it to resize thousands of. 223 and .308 cases at night. Breaks down easier into a large duffel. After sizing further case prep (primer pocket cleaned necks cleaned, sort those that need trimming. Get home and load match rounds on the progressive. Have also just loaded ammunition on it. Rails on the side to hold stuff. Scale in the middle powder measure bracket oposite of the press. Just enough room for your case tray. Wonderfully engineered product. I'll stop now.

MattOrgan
04-08-2011, 12:09 AM
PS No need to add weight to the Midway stand.

Ickisrulz
04-08-2011, 04:38 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_137074d9f725278139.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=485)

Stand I made years ago. It seemed like a good idea at the time. The base is a 100 pound cast iron weight. I was planning on using it in the living room at the coffee table. Turned out much heavier that I thought (or failed to calculate) and couldn't lug it around the house without feeling ill. It was very stable though.

troyboy
04-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Buy the lee stand and then let us know how it worked out. I like it better than the other option. I also tried that B&D workstation and didn't like it. Not stable enough for me. I also tried one of the HF tool stands. My drill press is on that. I built that bench in the abc's of reloading. That was a bench. Sold it when I moved. Built a bench a good bit smaller for now. If that lee stand had of been available I would have bought and tried it.

MikeS
04-09-2011, 04:05 AM
I got in the Lee quick change thing, and for the time being I mounted it to my computer desk. Where I mounted it was in a place where I wouldn't be able to get a drill into so I used lag bolts. They come out the bottom which is an open shelf, and I can see myself cutting myself on the sharp points, so I might take them out, and now that they've made holes go with regular bolts & nuts. As for the Lee bench plate system, I've already had an issue with it, I mounted 2 presses on the 2 undrilled plates that come with it, one a True-line Jr. and the other my new press, a Smart Reloader single stage press. While using the Smart Reloader, at one point the plate came out, and it also broke in 2, I had a front section that the press was mounted to, and the rear section that has nothing on it. I used Elmer's Carpenter's glue and then remounted the plate in the holder to use it as a sort of clamp to hold both pieces together. At the same time as that happened, the link on the bottom of the press that holds the handle to the ram broke, so I replaced it with a bolt & nut with a wingnut as a double nut (it's strange, all the other links on the press had bolts holding them, only the bottom one was a pin that snapped). Now all the linkages on the press have bolts & nuts holding them. Another criticism of the Lee bench plate system, it has 4 philips head screw that you tighten down to hold the plate into the holder, tomorrow I'm going to go over to the hardware store, and see if I can get allen head screws the same size, as I hate philips head screws, and they can strip out easier than allens can.

kostner
04-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Have the Lee bench plate and I'm very happy but has anyone found a way to store the presses not being used? Have two Lee and two Dillon presses any ideas? Jim

1hole
04-23-2011, 09:43 PM
"The only thing with the Lee other than that it's slightly too high ..."

Not really, in my opinion most benches are several inches too low; I want to be able to fully depress the handle without bending over, that's much easier on the back in a long loading session.

"..they nickel & dime you to death. I mean the bins that mount to the sides are an extra,.."

On the other hand, if you don't want the bins you won't be paying for them.

cajun shooter
04-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Mike, If you go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a piece of 5/8 or 3/4 plywood that is scrap or they sell the 4x4 pieces you are on your way. You may do it two ways depending on your space. One just put it on your PS desk for reinforcement and then bolt your press to a short piece of 2x6 or 2x10. You then can c-clamp the press where needed. The second way is to mount the the plywood to a Shop mate and do it so that it still will fold. With your press, powder measure, trimmer and so on all mounted to 2x6 or so lumber you can c-clamp them for loading and tear the whole rig down for needed room. I did a similar mounting and stored my press and supplies in plastic milk crates for storage. The mounting of my loading tools is something I still do even though I have two loading benches to use. I may mount them anywhere and then move them for other projects. Why drill holes in nice desks when you may c-clamp it.

milprileb
04-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Cajun Shooter has summed up a great solution for your needs and that shop mate is WAY more stable and handier than the Lee Tripod stand. C clamps .... they work !

HeavyMetal
04-26-2011, 09:36 PM
O.K.! Let's talk Harbor Freight stands!

They actually have three stands that might do well for you:

The first is a Dirt Bike stand, strong enough to hold a dirt bike it 16 inchs high with room on top to mount a nice steel plate for the QD stuff if you want. A touch low for me but if you want to sit on the floor......who knows? Number is 67151

Second is a Universal Bench grinder stand. 32 inch high 8x9 top 19x20 base four legs you could mount a QD on each end. number is 3184

Third is the Universal tool stand, I have two of these! Adjustable heights, 26 29 and 32 inches. top is 18x20 base is 27 x 25 number is 46075 I have four machines mounted on a 1/4 inch steel plate bolted to the top of both stands. No need to worry about storage becase they are stored on the stand! Works nice!

The truth is if I had limited space I'd go with the grinder stand and the Lee QD stuff, Or our own Pat Marlins dock set up, and find a nice cabinet to store all reloading stuff in when not in use.

Scrapper
04-26-2011, 11:10 PM
I use the Frankfort stand with a Lyman T-Mag with no problems. Comes apart really easy but holds together surprisingly well.
I didn't have to add weight or modify it at all besides drilling holes for the press
http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=81&pictureid=305

Fire_stick
04-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Here's another way. Mount your press to a piece of 2x6 board, and then C-clamp that 2x6 board to your computer desk. When you're done, just un-clamp the 2x6 and put your press away. No extra stand needed.

That is what I do.

Ilwil
04-27-2011, 01:16 AM
Here's another vote for the Midway stand. I've had it over 20 years now, have loaded everything from 9mm to .45-70 on it, using Lee equipment. I upgraded, eventually got a bench in the garage, but still keep the Midway stand ready in an extra bedroom. There are times when its nice to stay in a warm house instead of a chilly garage. This stand has held up well, is stable enough, and is very versatile, as has been previously pointed out.

shotman
04-27-2011, 01:40 AM
go to lowes and get 3/4 plywood and couple tubes of liquid nails glue the ply wood to computer table and L bracket into a stud on the wall and it will resize 50 bmgs

onondaga
04-27-2011, 02:48 AM
I use the Frankfort stand. I have 3 tops for it. One top has two presses on it, My Lee Turret Classic Cast and a single stage also. On that same top I also have my Lee Zip Trim mounted. The other top for my Frankfort has a Lee 12 Ga press.

These have been in service over 5 years and I regularly load about 3000-5000 rounds a year. I like being able to switch tops on the Frankfort. Most of my loading is .458 Win Mag, then .500 S&W Mag, then 7.62X39. A couple of times a year I load a few hundred 12 Ga slugs and switch tops.

Another tip, my casting table is a harbor freight power tool table with an 18X20 inch top. These are very inexpensive and would easily hold up to 4 presses also and nice and sturdy. Their universal tool stand:

http://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/work-support/universal-tool-stand-46075.html

This would make a nice a nice press stand for a small room setup.

Gary

MikeS
04-27-2011, 12:18 PM
I use the Franklin stand with a Lyman T-Mag with no problems. Comes apart really easy but holds together surprisingly well.
I didn't have to add weight or modify it at all besides drilling holes for the press

I've been seriously thinking about getting that stand. I figure I can mount the Lee bench plate on it, and that way I can switch out the presses are I need them. Looking at your picture, I think I could even mount another one on the other side, and keep 2 presses on the bench, and just use whichever side had the press I wanted to use. Heck, the price is right, if it doesn't work out I'm not out a lot of money. It's either the Franklin stand or the Lee tripod, and I'm really not sure which one to get! Seeing your Franklin setup has sort of swayed me toward it, I've never seen any pictures of the Lee stand in actual use, only the pictures on Lee's website, and the ones on Midway's site. At this point I only have 2 presses that I would consider mounting, a Lee C press, and a Tru-Line Jr. after getting the Lee press it has reinforced my opinion that the Smart Reloader press really is junk, so at this point I think i'm going to disassemble it, and just use the frame as a powder measure stand.

onondaga
04-27-2011, 12:42 PM
This is how I have mounted 2 presses on the Frankfort stand. The Turret press was specifically mounted a little off center to allow room for the Lee Zip Trim to the right of the press. I just rotate the top to use the other press I usually use for bullet sizing and sometimes for a separate step batch like using a Lee Factory Crimp Die. I also have 2 additional Frankfort tops one with a shot shell press mounted and another with a Lee Pro 1000.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/rhymeswithwhat/presses.jpg

Gary

gofasttodd
04-28-2011, 12:43 AM
what i use at the range is a donut spare and this bolted to it http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pipes-Fittings-Valves-Black-Pipe-Fittings/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbqn5/R-100155368/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
then a section of pipe and another floor flange on the other end and make a wood top and mounted mt press

Casting_40S&W
04-29-2011, 12:22 AM
Mike S:

I was searching the web and ran across this thread and hoped to share my experiences. I recently moved to a small house and a permanent workbench really is not an option, so I hit the web and searched "Reloading Stands" I came across the Frankford stand and the Lee stand. I am a 5'11" fellow, and the frankford stand at 27 inches is much too short. So I decided to go with the Lee stand. I was surprised at the price $75. It included a drilled wood block to mount my lee presses and one bin and bracket set up. I have three lee presses, so I got the extra wood block kit and the die rack for my breech lock bushings. The three legged design will never rock and is very stable, it has a larger foot print than franford stand. Upon receipt of the loading stand from "The brown Truck" I opened it and was impressed. The quality of construction and instructions made assembly a breeze. The bench plate system is great, makes mounting your press really easy and is solid. I had some left over laminate floor from when my wife and I re-did the kitchen floor, so I made an extended work surface with the provided plans! Neat! I cant wait to get my 40 S&W mold in and start casting some boolits.
See you at the range!

Shooter6br
04-29-2011, 12:52 AM
Workmate is great stand