PDA

View Full Version : Magma Case Master Jr.

Roundnoser
04-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Anyone own or use one of these? I'm talking about the maunally operated version of the Case Master.

I load my 9mm and 40 SW on progressive presses, and can't always check for bulged brass, etc. Sometimes bulged brass can really screw up the works. Just wondering if this machine would be worth the money to size 9mm, 40 and maybe 45 ACP.

I know that the sizers are carbide. Anyone know how may cases can be sized in an hour at a reasonable pace?

ReloaderFred
04-05-2011, 01:14 AM
I've had one for about 10 years now. I've got the dies for 9mm size cases, .40/10mm size cases and .45 size cases. As you're probably aware, it pushes the entire case all the way through the carbide sizing die, sizing the case wall, web and rim. Because you're sizing the solid portion of the case, it's necessary to lube your cases before running them through this machine. It doesn't take much lube, but it does take some.

The machine is a workout, but once you get a rhythm going you can put quite a few cases through it in a short time. You have to have your cases in tubes of some kind to feed through the machine. I happened to have quite a few plastic tubes about 3 feet long that bullets came in for an automatic loading machine, so I used those and they work well. You also have to work the case slide/feeder with your left hand, while operating the handle for the machine with your right hand. It takes a certain degree of coordination to get it right, or the punch will hit the slide, rather than pushing the case through the die.

I put a bunch of cases in a large plastic bag and spray them lightly with spray case lube. I then load them into the tubes, base down, and stack the tubes near the machine. As I empty a tube, I then load another. When doing .45 acp cases, each tube holds 42 cases and I can go through about a dozen tubes before I have to give my right arm a break. I've never really counted how many an hour I can do. I just wait until I've got a big bunch of brass to run through it and then work until it's done.

With the 9mm die, I can fully size 9x19, 9x21 and 9x23 brass. With the .40 die, I can size .40 S&W, 10mm and 357 Sig brass. With the .45 die, I can size .45 acp and .400 Cor-Bon brass. With the 357 Sig and .400 Cor-Bon, you're only sizing the rim, web and a portion of the case wall, but not the neck area.

After running the brass through the machine, you'll still have to deprime it. I just run it through a regular carbide sizing die of the proper caliber after running through the Case Master Jr. With the brass being lubricated, it goes through decapping/sizing really, really easy. I then tumble the brass in untreated corn cob for about 20 minutes to remove the lube and then it's ready to reload.

Hope this helps.

Fred

jmorris
04-05-2011, 08:32 AM
I built one years back first using an arbor press then a totally different machine using a pneumatic ram. In the end I wound up automating a case pro, it will roll size 1800 rounds an hour and all I have to do is fill the case feeder.

bobthenailer
04-05-2011, 09:05 AM
I think RCBS makes a small base die to correct the buldged case problem common with 40 s&w's
shot from unsupported barrels or over sized chambers .

Roundnoser
04-05-2011, 09:37 AM
I load my 9mm and 40 SW on Dillons (1050 and SD-B respectively). I've been able to get the Dillon sizing dies down low enough to remove the bulges.

Funny thing...I use a Dillon case gage for the 9mm, and the rounds check just fine, but they won't seat in my Lone Wolfe barrel. (???) I thought the case gage was suppossed to prevent that. -- So, I have been using my Lone Wolfe barrel instead of the case gage to check my rounds (I take them out after sizing at the swaging station, and drop it into my chamber). So far so good. I started checking every round...now I'm checking every 5th round just to make sure. (I hate doing it but I shoot competition, and I can't have rounds that don't chamber!!!)

A Case Master Jr. or Case Pro would remove any doubt. --

JMORRIS: I checked out the Case Pro. I like the machine, but its almost 2X the cost of Magma's. Is there a big difference in the performance between the two? -- FYI...I would NOT be automating the process! Good old elbow grease for now. UPDATE: I just checked Case Pros web site again...Does the unit come with a Dillon case feeder? Is it included in the price? Kinda looks like it. If so, thats a good deal! Also comes set up in one caliber! Hummm could be better than the Case Master Jr. afterall!

jmorris
04-06-2011, 08:10 AM
For me it makes a big difference as all I do is fill the hopper (no they don't come with one) and turn it on. Here is a short video, click on the first photo. I can't load as fast as it can size.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/casepro/th_casepro.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/casepro/?action=view&current=casepro.mp4)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/casepro/DSC02028-1.jpg