PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Loads with PB powder

MEVS
04-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Hello, long time lurker first time poster here. I'd like to thank you guys for all of the information I've gleaned from lurking, thought I'd join up. I'm fresh out of college and don't have much in the way of a reloading budget yet. So I've loaded all of my pistol calibers (9mm, 45acp, 38, 357, 44 mag) with Unique to save money. Its versatility is unmatched, and it provides acceptable mid-range target loads in all of the calibers I load for. The one problem I have with it is that it's really dirty. I'd hate to see what the older, non "cleaner burning" version would do. From lurking I've gathered that some of you had success with PB powder for clean-burning target loads. There are gaps in the load data available from IMR (nothing above 200gr in the 44 mag for example). I was wondering what some of your pet loads are. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kraschenbirn
04-04-2011, 11:25 PM
Have used both 700X and PB with good results in both .38 Spl and .45 ACP. Back in those days, I was shooting a lot of trap and always had an 8-pounder of one or the other on hand so it was kind of a no-brainer. As I recall, around 5 1/2 gains of PB under a 225-230 gr RN provides a pretty fair imitation of G.I. ball rounds.

Bill

MEVS
04-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Thanks for replying. Judging by the other threads in this area of the forum questioning Unique may not be the way to endear myself.

Kraschenbirn
04-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Lotsa people swear by Unique. Speaking for myself, I prefer either AA#5 or Herco for most of my handgun loads so it's been years since I've kept any Unique on hand.

Bill

KYCaster
04-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks for replying. Judging by the other threads in this area of the forum questioning Unique may not be the way to endear myself.

Don't be too concerned, you have plenty of company.

In spite of its versatility, I find that for individual applications there alternatives that do as well, and many times better than Unique.

I think you'll find that PB isn't any cleaner than Unique in most loads. Virtually ALL the classic powders will leave lots of heavy ash as a result of combustion. The big difference is that some will leave unburned flakes of powder when the load doesn't match the application. Most complaints about "dirty powder" don't specify which is which.

A powder you should take a look at is Hodgden's Universal. Although not as versatile as Unique, it can be considered a direct replacement in many applications. It will leave some unburned flakes at very low pressures and can get erratic when approaching the upper limit of its useful pressure range. Mid range loads is where I've found it most useful and you'll be amazed at how clean it leaves your gun compared to Unique.

Welcome to the Cast Boolits family and good luck.

Jerry

gnoahhh
04-05-2011, 09:59 AM
That begs the question "Why worry about a bunch of ash left in the barrel after each shot?" That's just the stuff left from the last shot. The next one will blow it out the barrel, and leave it's own residue behind, and so on. You're going to clean the gun at the end of the day anyway right? Pushing a handful of powder ash down the pipe with a patch doesn't take anymore energy than if it weren't there. Not trying to be a smart-ass here. It's just that I've always been baffled by guys complaining that their loads don't burn clean.

Rocky Raab
04-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Me too, gnoahhh. If you are looking to avoid cleaning the gun, just don't clean it - you clearly don't care anyway. If you ARE going to clean it regardless, who cares how clean or dirty it is? Either way, it's pointless.

3006guns
04-05-2011, 11:31 AM
I started with Bullseye and a .38 special when I first got into reloading. I found that it didn't leave any appreciable crud in the barrel and was amazingly economical to boot. If you're in the same situation as most younger people, money is tight and at 2.8 grns. per shot it lasts a LONG time.

In fact, I was so used to a clean bore after shooting I was horrified at my first Unique loads....thought I'd loaded some form of black powder! As mentioned though, cleaning is not that big a deal considering its versatility.

If there's any drawback to Bull at all, it's that you don't make a charging mistake. It's pretty energetic stuff!

MEVS
04-05-2011, 12:45 PM
I clean and oil my guns religiously after every range trip. I guess for me the reason I don't like leaving ash all over the barrel, the cylinder, my hands, the person on the firing line 6 feet from me... Is I like handloading because I can get better performance in every catagory over factory ammunition. Accuracy, muzzle blast, etc. I can tune the loads to my gun. With Unique I can't get the loads to shoot as clean as factory. It's an arrogance thing I guess, probably shouldn't fight it.

KYCaster
04-05-2011, 01:58 PM
I clean and oil my guns religiously after every range trip. I guess for me the reason I don't like leaving ash all over the barrel, the cylinder, my hands, the person on the firing line 6 feet from me... Is I like handloading because I can get better performance in every catagory over factory ammunition. Accuracy, muzzle blast, etc. I can tune the loads to my gun. With Unique I can't get the loads to shoot as clean as factory. It's an arrogance thing I guess, probably shouldn't fight it.

I agree completely. Some people may not mind the soot on everything, but my GF doesn't like it and when she's not happy, I'm not happy. :roll:

Another point....I shoot handgun and three gun competition. Powder residue can have an adverse effect on functioning. If a cleaner burning powder will help me get through a two or three hundred round match without any problems, I'll take that option every time.

I still find the occasional use for Unique, Bullseye, PB, Herco, 2400, etc., but if I can do it cleaner without sacrificing performance, I'll do it.

Jerry