PDA

View Full Version : Neck sizing the 45/70

Johnch
12-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Well thats probely the wrong term , but .....................[smilie=1:

Iwas out shooting the H&R Handi Rifle in 45/70 tonight
I was looking at the fired cases compared to the loaded rounds .
To say the Handie Rifle has a generous chamber is a under statement , but with the proper load it is a real shooter .

The sized cases are sloppy in the chamber

So I was thinking :mrgreen:
If I only sized 3/4" of the case , the fire formed rear area would properly line the bullet up in the throat .
Instead of the bullet entering the throat on a slight angle , witch can't be good for accurcy .

SO to make the "neck" sizer I came up with 3 ideas
1 cut off a 45/70 sizer to leave just the last 1" to size the case and maybe take all the threads
2 take a 45/70 sizer and hog out enough to just size 3/4" , dies being hardened like they are I figure best left to a better machinest
Both these ideas involve major die work on the lathe .
Also I would have to buy an other die or die set

3 take a steel 45 colt sizer die ( I think I have 1 in the junk drawer ) and chuck it up in the lathe and polish it out to the right size
Rough guess , I would have to take out .006 or .003 per side
Then cut a generous chamfer to allow the case mouth to easly enter the die

I figure that would be the easyest

Any better ideas ??

Johnch

45 2.1
12-06-2006, 09:39 PM
I've been useing the LEE factory crimp die for the 45 Colt for years. I shoot fat boolits at about 0.462" in my as well. Take some calipers to measure the carbide ring I.D. Subtract 0.020" from that to get the proper boolit diameter it will hold correctly. I've found them from 0.479" to 0.483".

9.3X62AL
12-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Lyman makes a neck sizer die for the 45-70. I got mine from Midway about 4 months ago. It will also work for the other hyphenated 45 rifle rounds.

Johnch
12-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Lyman makes a neck sizer die for the 45-70. I got mine from Midway about 4 months ago. It will also work for the other hyphenated 45 rifle rounds.

I didn't know they made 1 .
Have to look into getting 1

Only 2 problems

First I am a cheap SOB and buying a die I "MIGHT" be able to make hurts
I hate spending $$ :-D

Errrrrrrrrrrr or is that 1 problem :drinks:

Johnch

9.3X62AL
12-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Midway Item #466-760. Price $19.79 Yer call.

WBH
12-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Have you tried just backing the die out in the press? Might just solve your problem.

August
12-06-2006, 11:04 PM
I use the Lyman neck size for all my 45/70 loading. It works really well. I also taper crimp just enough to remove the bell created for accepting Plumbumb Boolets.

MGySgt
12-06-2006, 11:53 PM
FWIW -

If you are doing neck size only you might want to 'Index' your rounds when you load them into your Handi Rifle.

Use a punch to mark the case head and 'index' that to the top of the chamber when you load your round in.

Not neccessary, - but just one more thing to try for the ultimate accuracy!

Drew

JBMauser
12-07-2006, 12:48 AM
I have a Danish Rolling block that I shoot 45/70 out of. The chamber is much larger and the brass is ballooned out at the base and I neck size (and index when loading) with a Lee loader. They are still made in 45/70 I even opened up the die a tad with a dowel and emery paper because the Dane likes a very fat bullet and I can get very good results with smokless powder and excellent results with black powder. Best of luck with you endevor. JB

chunkum
12-07-2006, 03:27 AM
I use the Lyjman neck sizer too. Redding also manufactures one, I think that reportedly gives good results. The Lee dies were an enigma to me when trying to improvise as the ones I have require full length sizing if you use them to deprime. I suppose you could deprime with the universal decapper and partial size with the standard Lee dies afterward. Another tactic that gives better accuracy for me in my BC is a taper crimp, again with a Lyman die designed to do just that.
Best Regards,
chunkum